Cokeboy 2.0 Is Following WCW’s Demise Step by Step: Gave Sasha/Mercedes Creative Control

Larry

Indiana's Finest
Daps
the problem with Forbidden Door is what makes it a cool PPV/live spectacle for some is also what makes it absolute garbage week to week TV.

Lesser known foreign wrestler shows up with very little build up other than a small video package or Excalibur motormouthing the belts they've won, they challenge the AEW wrestler or vice versa, they do a staredown or cut a taped promo, they have the match (which the foreigner loses 70%+ of the time) and then they fukk off never to be seen again for another year

Why would a fan tuning in every week be invested in that? The ratings when foreign teams come play exhibition pre-season NBA games are garbage compared to regular season games. Why's that? Because people know that shyt doesn't count and that any player on the foreign team worth a shyt will eventually find their way to the big leagues anyways. Same thing with AEW, Jay White, Okada and Ospreay eventually made their way to the US. Why should I care about the people who stayed behind in Japan or Mexico?

if you told me some of these random Japanese or Mexican motherfukkers would stay around consistently for 6 more months as a regular part of the show and have storylines/cut promos/etc then you might get me somewhat interested in them

I almost feel like forbidden door should have no build lol

hold it once a year but play it like a one-off that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of AEW's television. It's a popular enough concept that it'll sell itself.

treat it like Ring of Honor treated those Dragon Gate Challenge shows back in the day. The New Japan and CMLL dudes can show up one sunday out of the year and have crossover matches, and then peace the fukk out. We don't need em on Dynamite. We don't need poor attempts at storylines. Just show up sunday, have ya lil crossover matches and get the fukk on up outta here
'

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

hold it once a year but play it like a one-off that has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of AEW's television. It's a popular enough concept that it'll sell itself.

treat it like Ring of Honor treated those Dragon Gate Challenge shows back in the day.
'
NJPW no longer has the star power for it to work.

They’d have to be going against WWE for the concept to be effective now honestly.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

treat it like Ring of Honor treated those Dragon Gate Challenge shows back in the day.
'

I am with you on this... but people are viewing the build up as being detrimental to the company as a whole and I don't agree with that because 3-4 weeks of build, whether the casual fans like it or not, does not make or break the company in terms of what their TV media rights deal will look like...

There's a huge disconnect between wrestling fans and what they THINK matters to the bottom line and what actually does. 4 weeks of television doesn't mean shyt in a media rights deal.

So if those few weeks leads to a better PPV buyrate or more tickets sold for the event... it's worth it to do it.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps

treat it like Ring of Honor treated those Dragon Gate Challenge shows back in the day. The New Japan and CMLL dudes can show up one sunday out of the year and have crossover matches, and then peace the fukk out. We don't need em on Dynamite. We don't need poor attempts at storylines. Just show up sunday, have ya lil crossover matches and get the fukk on up outta here
'

idk if you follow battle rap but King of the Dot (the Canadian predominantly white league that used to be big, Drake used to sponsor some of their shyt) had an event called "Blackout" where you'd know which rappers were on the card but not who they were facing until the actual night of right before the battle started

I think a concept like that with Forbidden Door could work where they told you all the AEW guys and New Japan/Mexican guys on the card but not who was facing who. So you'd have Bryan Danielson come out for his match and then people wouldn't know who he was facing until Sin Cara's music hit and he came out. Would be a way of giving it a fresh spin but also keep it from making the TV boring and disengaging for an entire month. The sickos would still pay money for PPV and to go see it live, but it wouldn't alienate the casual fans in the process.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps

They’d have to be going against WWE for the concept to be effective now honestly.

the fact that NXT had more total viewers than AEW for the shows with Jordynne Grace and Joe Hendry shows even some TNA wrestlers have more clout here in America than the Japanese and Mexican wrestlers.

Silkk

Daps
the fact that NXT had more total viewers than AEW for the shows with Jordynne Grace and Joe Hendry shows even some TNA wrestlers have more clout here in America than the Japanese and Mexican wrestlers.
Yeah, Probably the case now after NJPW lost most of their top talent.

Even Jacob Fatu seems to be more known than a lot of the current njpw guys these days and he’s never been on national tv before.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I strongly disagree with that. Especially when it comes to the AEW fanbase.

There’s levels to it and these MFs are just random as fukk in the eyes of most. Vagher and Hoochicero are not Okada, Naito, Ospreay, Or even a Suzuki level name.

Jordynne grace got a nice pop. They brought her in instead of someone like *insert random tna woman* for that reason. Tony just grabs up whatever random MFs he can and puts them on his TV programs

I agree. Tho it's impossible to compare the two groups across different points of time. Take Okada as an example.

I believe i first saw him the wrestle kingdom when AJ left njpw. But then he had all those great matches with Omega that had his name buzzing on the internet. And i wasn't even a heavy njpw fan like that but everyone knew and looked out for those matches. And that was before aew. So when Forbidden Door came around, like all the fans knew who he was.

Not to mention the advantage that njpw has over cmll. They have done big time shows in the US and have an English language commentary team for their programs. They have more exposure than CMLL in the US. I will say that let's take 100 of the wrestling fans on here. I highly doubt that even 10 speak Spanish. So if I'm fluent in the language and don't watch myself, then someone who doesn't understand at all is highly unlikely to watch themselves. Most don't even watch triple a unless it's like triplemania or something big.

So that language barrier plays a huge part in my opinion. CMLL needs bigger exposure in the US and English language so they can be more familiar to just the hardcore fans compared to njpw.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
A choice has to be made.

Fans: we want TK to get help with the booking.

Wrestler: I have control over my booking.

Fans: no not like that.
Both are part of the same problem breh.

The point of having a competent booker is that they give wrestler's a path and they work with them from there. If they have something in their mind, you make it work or just say no if you think it's not gonna help.

TK's problem is that it seems that there's wrestlers that can do whatever the fukk they want even though it's evident it will hurt the TV product. Jericho, Mox and the Bucks are the clear examples of this. For every MJF/Punk, Eddie Kingston/Punk or Swerve/Page, there's way more examples of TK just letting them do their ideas without any real plan or counter to obvious weaknesses those ideas have.

"Getting help with the booking" of AEW is not getting every fukker that's involved on TV to run their shyt. It's having someone that can deal with all that chaos and come up with interesting stuff to watch weekly.

Silkk

Daps
I agree. Tho it's impossible to compare the two groups across different points of time. Take Okada as an example.

I believe i first saw him the wrestle kingdom when AJ left njpw. But then he had all those great matches with Omega that had his name buzzing on the internet. And i wasn't even a heavy njpw fan like that but everyone knew and looked out for those matches. And that was before aew. So when Forbidden Door came around, like all the fans knew who he was.

Not to mention the advantage that njpw has over cmll. They have done big time shows in the US and have an English language commentary team for their programs. They have more exposure than CMLL in the US. I will say that let's take 100 of the wrestling fans on here. I highly doubt that even 10 speak Spanish. So if I'm fluent in the language and don't watch myself, then someone who doesn't understand at all is highly unlikely to watch themselves. Most don't even watch triple a unless it's like triplemania or something big.

So that language barrier plays a huge part in my opinion. CMLL needs bigger exposure in the US and English language so they can be more familiar to just the hardcore fans compared to njpw.
Maybe but I don’t think it’s a language thing.

When NJPW was at it’s hottest only a couple of shows had the english commentary team calling it. Most of the G1 had that lil shytty one camera setup.

But they did have the partnership with ROH so that did help them here in the states. Had one with tna before that but it was meh.

I think the biggest difference though is star power. Anytime a NJPW guy showed up in ROH they were treated like a big deal and usually won and given big wins (To ROH’s detriment a lot of times too though. Like AEW does NJPW now.).

TK brings these MFs in and ALWAYS beat them in singles matches. Suzuki and Ishii are like 1-11 or some shyt. Why would anyone care or continue to care about guys when they are proven to be bums.

Finn Baller

Superstar
Daps
Yeah, Probably the case now after NJPW lost most of their top talent.

Even Jacob Fatu seems to be more known than a lot of the current njpw guys these days and he’s never been on national tv before.

the fact there's no New Japan or Mexican wrestler in the main event says it all

Forgot all about Miro :dead: has he wrestled this year?

only in divorce court :pachaha:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA

I was thinking about it i believe yesterday and it's obviously a crazy unorthodox idea. And not a wwe vs aew forbidden door ppv. And of course it would not work since there's nxt. But was just thinking of what if there were a joint effort between both companies on a company. One where neither one has creative control or booking and can only add or subtract their talent. Be like oh we don't have anything for you right now or we know you just healed from that injury, why don't you go down to that company for a bit and get some reps in. Not the big names or anything like a ppv but something for the rookies and unused talent. Thought it would be an interesting concept. Of course a major ppv between the two is way better.