CNN Report: Disney+ needs a hit show badly

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps
I don't have a dog in this fight...

As do none of us so I find this picking a side shyt and riding for it weird so
SiMtlGu.gif

... but people keep bringing up all these Star Wars, Marvel or potential X-Men content and shows in the pipeline as if that's supposed to help.

The people who would watch that shyt are already subscribers. A new Star Wars show or Marvel show isn't going to boost subs. You need a show that brings in a fresh set of subscribers, not keeps the ones you already have or brings back returning ones who lapsed.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I don't have a dog in this fight...

As do none of us so I find this picking a side shyt and riding for it weird so
SiMtlGu.gif

... but people keep bringing up all these Star Wars, Marvel or potential X-Men content and shows in the pipeline as if that's supposed to help.

The people who would watch that shyt are already subscribers. A new Star Wars show or Marvel show isn't going to boost subs. You need a show that brings in a fresh set of subscribers, not keeps the ones you already have or brings back returning ones who lapsed.

Disney Plus upcoming shows

• Ink & Paint – The story of the women who worked on Disney’s classic animated films.
  • Earthkeepers – A look at people dedicated to preserving endangered animals.
  • (Re)Connect – Families with issues try to come back together with the help of experts.
  • The Quest – Teenagers compete in a live-action medieval role-playing game.
  • The Maze – Teams composed of one adult and one teen compete to solve puzzles in various European cities.
  • Parenting Without Borders – Jessica Alba will host this series, which looks at parenting around the world.
  • Foodtastic – A competition series where people will try to create Disney-inspired works of art made out of food.
  • Choir – A series that looks at the acclaimed Detroit Youth Choir.

• Beauty and the Beast prequel – This live-action show will feature Luke Evans and Josh God as they reprise their roles from the recent musical remake.
  • The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder – A revival of the Disney Channel’s hit animated series.
  • Willow – A new adaptation of the fantasy movie created by George Lucas.
  • Baymax – A series based on the movie Big Hero 6, focusing on the Baymax robot.
  • Zootopia Plus – A series set in the animal-run world of the Zootopia movie.
  • Tiana – The lead of the movie The Princess and the Frog will get her own series.
  • Moana – The hit Disney animated movie will continue in a new series.
  • Iwájú – A sci-fi animated series from the African animation studio Kugali.
  • Cars – Lightning McQueen and Mater will be back in this series based on the Cars animated films.
  • Win or Lose – An animated show about a middle school softball team, with each episode focusing on a different team member.
  • National Treasure – This will be a reboot of the hit National Treasure movie franchise.
  • Just Beyond – A supernatural anthology series based on the Boom Studios graphic novels from writer R.L. Stine.
  • Muppets Haunted Mansion – A Halloween themed special combining the famous Disneyland attraction with the Muppets.

Look for the service to release several original scripted movies in the coming months:

• Aladdin spinoff – A live-action spinoff movie from the recent 2019 Aladdin remake is in the works. It will center on the character of Prince Anders, to be played once again by Billy Magnussen.
  • Hocus Pocus 2 – The long-awaited sequel to the hit supernatural comedy is in the works.
  • Sister Act 3 – Whoopi Goldberg is coming back to the hit comedy movie series in this new sequel.
  • Three Men and a Baby – Zac Efron will be one of the stars of this remake of the 1987 comedy film.
  • Sports docudrama movies – Disney Plus has plans for three films that will look at the lives of athletes like Chris Paul, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Keanon Lowe.
  • Cheaper by the Dozen – A new version of the classic family comedy that will star Gabrielle Union and Zack Braff.
  • Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers – A live-action-animated hybrid of Disney’s classic animated show starring John Mulaney as Chip and Andy Samberg as Dale.
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The hit book series will turn into a new animated movie.
  • Pinocchio – A live-action version of Disney’s animated classic.
  • Disenchanted – The long-awaited sequel to Enchanted is in the works, with Amy Adams returning as the princess Giselle.
  • Peter Pan and Wendy – Yet another movie about the Peter Pan legend, with Jude Law as Captain Hook.
  • Crater – A near-future movie set on the moon, where a group of young friends takes a trip to a mysterious crater.

steadyrighteous

Veteran
Daps

• Ink & Paint – The story of the women who worked on Disney’s classic animated films.
  • (Re)Connect – Families with issues try to come back together with the help of experts.
  • The Maze – Teams composed of one adult and one teen compete to solve puzzles in various European cities.
  • Parenting Without Borders – Jessica Alba will host this series, which looks at parenting around the world.
  • Foodtastic – A competition series where people will try to create Disney-inspired works of art made out of food.

• Beauty and the Beast prequel – This live-action show will feature Luke Evans and Josh God as they reprise their roles from the recent musical remake.
  • The Proud Family: Louder and Prouder – A revival of the Disney Channel’s hit animated series.
  • Baymax – A series based on the movie Big Hero 6, focusing on the Baymax robot.
  • Tiana – The lead of the movie The Princess and the Frog will get her own series.
  • Cars – Lightning McQueen and Mater will be back in this series based on the Cars animated films.
  • Win or Lose – An animated show about a middle school softball team, with each episode focusing on a different team member.
  • National Treasure – This will be a reboot of the hit National Treasure movie franchise.
  • Just Beyond – A supernatural anthology series based on the Boom Studios graphic novels from writer R.L. Stine.
  • Muppets Haunted Mansion – A Halloween themed special combining the famous Disneyland attraction with the Muppets.

Look for the service to release several original scripted movies in the coming months:

• Aladdin spinoff – A live-action spinoff movie from the recent 2019 Aladdin remake is in the works. It will center on the character of Prince Anders, to be played once again by Billy Magnussen.
  • Hocus Pocus 2 – The long-awaited sequel to the hit supernatural comedy is in the works.
  • Sister Act 3 – Whoopi Goldberg is coming back to the hit comedy movie series in this new sequel.
  • Three Men and a Baby – Zac Efron will be one of the stars of this remake of the 1987 comedy film.
  • Sports docudrama movies – Disney Plus has plans for three films that will look at the lives of athletes like Chris Paul, Giannis Antetokounmpo, and Keanon Lowe.
  • Cheaper by the Dozen – A new version of the classic family comedy that will star Gabrielle Union and Zack Braff.
  • Chip ‘n’ Dale: Rescue Rangers – A live-action-animated hybrid of Disney’s classic animated show starring John Mulaney as Chip and Andy Samberg as Dale.
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid – The hit book series will turn into a new animated movie.
  • Disenchanted – The long-awaited sequel to Enchanted is in the works, with Amy Adams returning as the princess Giselle.
  • Peter Pan and Wendy – Yet another movie about the Peter Pan legend, with Jude Law as Captain Hook.
  • Crater – A near-future movie set on the moon, where a group of young friends takes a trip to a mysterious crater.

Thank you, but I wasn't saying Disney has nothing on the way, I was responding to the people who use more Star Wars and Marvel as an indicator that things will pick up.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm

Ehhhh the majority of what you posted consists of similar shows and properties already on Disney+ and likely won't drive new subscribers like that considering the fact that those viewers are likely already subscribers.

They need something new and out of the box hit that’s not already an established IP.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ehhhh the majority of what you posted consists of similar shows and properties already on Disney+ and likely won't drive new subscribers like that considering the fact that those viewers are likely already subscribers.

They need something new and out of the box hit that’s not already an established IP.

I mean, thats kind of the hook for disney plus, its more disney. Hulu is their non-disney streaming service.

The ceiling for plus is always gonna be limited because its family friendly content only. They want the millions of people that go out to see lion king and avengers.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I mean, thats kind of the hook for disney plus, its more disney. Hulu is their non-disney streaming service.

The ceiling for plus is always gonna be limited because its family friendly content only. They want the millions of people that go out to see lion king and avengers.

Which is why I've said from the beginning Disney+ is going to have problems in not hitting their targeted subscriber numbers as it's a niche streaming service. The end result should be merging Disney+ and Hulu together even if doesn't necessarily want to. You can merge them together while also keeping them separate.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Which is why I've said from the beginning Disney+ is going to have problems in not hitting their targeted subscriber numbers as it's a niche streaming service. The end result should be merging Disney+ and Hulu together even if doesn't necessarily want to. You can merge them together while also keeping them separate.

I agree they should be merged. I also kind of think of a service like disney plus that is just disney, marvel, discovery, Star Wars that people are treating it like an accessory service. People are feeling streaming fatigue with so many services some with a lot of the same content.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
I agree they should be merged. I also kind of think of a service like disney plus that is just disney, marvel, discovery, Star Wars that people are treating it like an accessory service. People are feeling streaming fatigue with so many services some with a lot of the same content.

It's why I always say that we will end back up with cable again as a lot of these streaming services are gonna have to combine to survive. I don't get why Disney+ and Hulu are separate services just like I don't get why Bet+ is separate from Paramount Plus. You literally have streaming services from the same company competing with each other.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
I don't think they really have any. which is crazy, cuz their system streaming service, hulu is filled with quality original series programming.

Yep which is my point.
You have to have an original property.
It doesn't have to be dark and edgy like House of Cards. It doesn't have to be mature like Orange is the new Black. But you do have to have a title that peeks people's interests cause its new and fresh.
The people who already fukk with marvel and star wars gon watch all that bullsbit regardless. Bit the people who already know about them and have decided they aren't interested in those things have 0 reason to subscribe when thats the main thing you're pushing.
Disney + is shooting fish in a barrel but leaving their fishing pole in the truck.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
It's why I always say that we will end back up with cable again as a lot of these streaming services are gonna have to combine to survive. I don't get why Disney+ and Hulu are separate services just like I don't get why Bet+ is separate from Paramount Plus. You literally have streaming services from the same company competing with each other.
Folks practically have pseudo-cable bills now with all these streaming services. :francis:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Folks practically have pseudo-cable bills now with all these streaming services. :francis:

At this point its less about the money and more about the accessibility of having a ton of content and seasons you can watch whenever you want plus no commercials. I never realize how much I hate commercials until I'm watching a game and one come on :francis:

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
The Avengers movies and The Star Wars sh-t had the ability to crossover and be a four quadrant thing but that don't mean all the people who went to see those movies want to see a Hawkeye show. The infinity saga captured the world. it got so hot that some of the mid movies were doin close to or over a billion...

But those properties haven't shown they can stand on they own. Some of these most recent movies are... why? Why do we need them?

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
Some of you looking sad with your :cape:

As an adult I legit never open the D+ app unless there's an MCU or star wars show. And even then that is only once a week. There has been nothing I've wanted to watch for months(don't watch animated).

And as a tweet i saw mentioned most of that shyt that was announced would have been straight to dvd/ Disney Channel shyt in the past.