Clyde Drexler's career and resume is looking pretty good compared to these guards who will retire ringless journeymen

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
To answer the question Clyde has had a wonderful career looking back on it

Only real blemish is he got annihilated by MJ in the Finals

MJ made it his personal mission to destroy him

I remember that whole 1992 season the media really set Clyde up to be food in the Finals :pachaha:

The media actually was sayin “Hey maybe Clyde should be MVP he might be just as good as Mike”

:russ:

I remember before game 1 actually feeling sorry for what was about to happen to him

:mjlol:

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Why wouldn't Clyde's game translate?

Because he had horrible jump shot form and was a predictable dribbler.

I'm not saying he couldn't play now. Just that he'd be a step down in status. He'd be a complementary scorer, borderline All-Star rather than an MVP candidate.

You don't have to do all of those fancy moves when you can easily get to wherever you want on the court, which is what Glide did easily.

Teams are far better at shading guys to their strong side now than they used to be, both as individual defenders and as team defense. It's not like the old days of man-only defense where 95% of defenders just played you straight up rather than overplaying to your tendencies.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
I'm reading a lot about dribbling skills, spacing, shooting form, 3pt shooting. About skills...does SUCCESS NOT MATTER? address this:

All those incredible 3pt skills, dribbling skills, etc but they don't win shyt when it matters surrounded by HOF (other than Dame). Explain it. Because it AINT the team or the era...Why are they better than Clyde if they don't succeed like him???

You say "succeed like him" when he only won by joining a team that had won the year before. And his three Finals performances were meh, not to mention they all came during the expansion era when talent was diluted. So big-upping Drexler's 'success' is a weird flex.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
First off, you're talking percentages and ignoring that his form was ASS. He launched it from behind his head and kicked both legs up in the air with his knees all funny. That's never going to be a consistent shot.

Second, yes his regular-season %'s were decent for his era, but you're ignoring that he was 28.8% lifetime from 3pt in the playoffs. That's fukking horrible, and that's boosted by three seasons with the short line, otherwise he was just 25.9%. And in the Finals he's lifetime 15.5% from 3pt, which might be the worst ever for his volume. He was really, really bad at shooting whenever it mattered, because his form failed him.

As a Blazers fan, you don't know how frustrating it was to almost reach the mountaintop only to have your shooting guard become a complete liability at shooting every time.

He would have to completely change his form from the start - in other words, be a completely different player.

I think he would get buckets in today's league. Just not at an elite level or elite efficiency. I don't think he'd be better than Jaylen Brown overall.

THE WEAKNESS ON HIS FORM IS OVERSTATED

86ed25a5a1043147242acef700362484--clyde-drexler-penny-hardaway.jpg

IT LOOKED MORE FUNNY THAN IT LOOKED WRONG FROM A MECHANICS STANDPOINT

ANTHONY EDWARDS FORM IS ACTUALLY MUCH WORSE

USATSI_15515739.jpg

COMPARING HIM TO JAYLEN BROWN IS DISRESPECTFUL

GR13

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You say "succeed like him" when he only won by joining a team that had won the year before. And his three Finals performances were meh, not to mention they all came during the expansion era when talent was diluted. So big-upping Drexler's 'success' is a weird flex.

what even funnier is:russ:
same poster's talking up Drexler because "one ring" are the same poster that try and struggle hate on pierce and KG for winning one ring :beli:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
so conference championships don't matter while you're simultaneously big upping men who have never done that or made absolutely no impact the single time they have. 3 nba finals and a title, especially when drexler turned around the 95 rockets

I want to reiterate that point where many people are out here acting like drexler piggybacked on a team that was a juggernaut. Yes the rockets won in 94. What happened to them in 95?

This team finished 47-35..THIRD in their division. The SPURS were the team in the west with the MVP. They get washed in the playoffs without Clyde. He averaged 21, 4 and 7 with them, and kept that up in the playoffs. They beat 60-22 Jazz, 59-23 Suns, 60-22 spurs, and SWEPT the 57 win magic. There is no way they do that how they were performing without Clyde.

Please tell me how Chris Paul, James Harden, or Paul George has done in similar situations? Would they have stepped up and helped the team beat FOUR straight MVP winners in the playoffs or would they have folded as usual?

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
THE WEAKNESS ON HIS FORM IS OVERSTATED

IT LOOKED MORE FUNNY THAN IT LOOKED WRONG

He brings it back behind his head with adds to the inconsistency and also made a slower trigger. He kicks his feet too much which leads to more erratic shots from distance (which indeed was a problem for MJ too, and a reason MJ was never consistent from distance).

You ignored that he was 25.9% lifetime in the playoffs from the normal line. You ignored that he was 15.5% lifetime in the Finals and that's even counting one series with the short line. His shot was REALLY bad under pressure.

How do you explain that?

COMPARING HIM TO JAYLEN BROWN IS DISRESPECTFUL

Are you co-signing the take of someone who says Drexler was superior to Kobe? :patrice:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Please tell me how Chris Paul, James Harden, or Paul George has done in similar situations? Would they have stepped up and helped the team beat FOUR straight MVP winners in the playoffs or would they have folded as usual?
Chris Paul would have definitely folded. Has too many series collapses to think otherwise.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
so conference championships don't matter while you're simultaneously big upping men who have never done that

Not sure who I big-upped that never did that, but yeah, comparing two players 30 years apart with completely different rosters and opponents and saying, "But this one won a conference championship!" is pretty silly.

I want to reiterate that point where many people are out here acting like drexler piggybacked on a team that was a juggernaut. Yes the rockets won in 94. What happened to them in 95?

This team finished 47-35..THIRD in their division. The SPURS were the team in the west with the MVP. They get washed in the playoffs without Clyde. He averaged 21, 4 and 7 with them, and kept that up in the playoffs. They beat 60-22 Jazz, 59-23 Suns, 60-22 spurs, and SWEPT the 57 win magic. There is no way they do that how they were performing without Clyde.

Please tell me how Chris Paul, James Harden, or Paul George has done in similar situations?

Chris Paul went to a Suns team that had won 34 games the previous season and took them directly to the Finals with the same fukking lineup. A bit more impressive than winning with a team that had just won the year before. And he didn't have a Hakeem to be dominant, otherwise he wins the title easy.

Harden is not a winner, at all. No argument there.

PG13 as a #1 is similar to Clyde. If Clyde's Blazers had run into the Heat then he would have lost a lot quicker than 6/7 games.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Chris Paul went to a Suns team that had won 34 games the previous season and took them directly to the Finals with the same fukking lineup. A bit more impressive than winning with a team that had just won the year before. And he didn't have a Hakeem to be dominant, otherwise he wins the title easy.
do you think the 95 rockets were as talented as the 22 suns? Are you for real breh...? The 95 rockets were crashing...THAT year. I mean the 3rd option on the rockets was Vernon fukkin maxwell...

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Well Chicago is arguing that point not me...if we are talking pure head to head over a specific window he's right, and that is the focus of that part of y'all argument, but regarding an all time ranking it's a different story.
He’s wrong in that specific window too.

He overrates their 1v1 match ups. Paul was a better player during the three seasons Chicago talking about.