Clyde Drexler's career and resume is looking pretty good compared to these guards who will retire ringless journeymen

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Because he shot like absolute dogshyt on jumpers in the playoffs. Just terrible, worse than Westbrook, worse than anyone. It was a really bad example to bring up.

The question was whether Drexler would be a good shooter in this era. My argument was no - his form was bad in a manner that would hamper it in any error. You're not showing what's wrong with that argument.

Because arguing "wins!" or "rings!" without context is completely meaningless. It's why we don't have George MIkan in our top-10. It's why Scottie's 6 rings are viewed differently than Kobe's 5. It's why Jason Terry's title is viewed differently than Dwayne Wade's.

Every player has different teammates, different opponents, different circumstances. Just blindly discussing their wins doesn't mean anything if you ignore context. I'm not hyper-focused on numbers, I'm hyper-focused on how did they actually play?, and numbers are just one way of those that. Wins doesn't tell me anything about how they played. Derek Fisher is #2 in NBA history in playoff wins, does that tell you he's an elite playoff point guard, or do you need more context?
You're purposefully comparing Drexler to fisher and Terry like he was a role player. It's very obvious. The other players had as much or more support their entire careers, and did less, save for Dame, who still did less with similar. Context matters yes but those numbers don't overcome their failures as players when regularly put in a position to win.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I'm reading a lot about dribbling skills, spacing, shooting form, 3pt shooting. About skills...does SUCCESS NOT MATTER? address this:

All those incredible 3pt skills, dribbling skills, etc but they don't win shyt when it matters surrounded by HOF (other than Dame). Explain it. Because it AINT the team or the era...Why are they better than Clyde if they don't succeed like him???
I answered this on Page 13, Post 194, you just ignored it. But you simplify it, I wouldn't put PG over Glide;

I have Dame and Russ basically on par with Glide;

Paul and Harden were both clearly better players than Glide, who won at the same clip Drexler did in the regular season, except they both had longer primes and did it over longer stretches of time, while having to shoulder more burdens of responsibility for their teams, in a more competitive West than The West Clyde played in, and clearly performed at a higher degree of performance prime-for-prime as verified by annual MVP contention...

These guys were also on the whole just as durable as Clyde while wearing more hats...

Clyde never had to be the Blazers best scorer and distributor. And neither Paul nor Harden were flanked by a ton of HOF talent in their primes, and again, they were playing in a tougher conference than Clyde's...
It's combo guard, and they've always been seen more as SGs than PGs.
The terminology of the era was lead guard and off guard. There was no "shooting" or "combo" guard in the verbiage. West was a lead guard who could shoot the laces off the ball. His role and responsibilities as a lead guard are what we attribute to a point guard today...

"Lead guard" evolved into "point guard"...
Yes. Especially Westbrook, george, and imo harden. How you perform when it counts really matters.

so conference championships don't matter while you're simultaneously big upping men who have never done that or made absolutely no impact the single time they have. 3 nba finals and a title, especially when drexler turned around the 95 rockets

I want to reiterate that point where many people are out here acting like drexler piggybacked on a team that was a juggernaut. Yes the rockets won in 94. What happened to them in 95?

This team finished 47-35..THIRD in their division. The SPURS were the team in the west with the MVP. They get washed in the playoffs without Clyde. He averaged 21, 4 and 7 with them, and kept that up in the playoffs. They beat 60-22 Jazz, 59-23 Suns, 60-22 spurs, and SWEPT the 57 win magic. There is no way they do that how they were performing without Clyde.

Please tell me how Chris Paul, James Harden, or Paul George has done in similar situations? Would they have stepped up and helped the team beat FOUR straight MVP winners in the playoffs or would they have folded as usual?
You're of the opinion that if Harden or Paul got to pair with a Top 2 player post-prime, they couldn't also contribute to a team that won a title?

Harden's post-prime has been hitched so far to an also post-prime Durant and Embiid who for as great as he is, has never been one of the two best players alive...

CP3's post-prime has been hitched to so far to an also post-prime Durant and Booker, who for as great as he is, has never been one of the two best players alive...

Hakeem was the best player in basketball in '95. If CP3 or Harden got to play with Jokic post-prime they'd have a title, too...

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
I don't cherry-pick, short-line threes from 95-97 are always different from regular threes so you have to put those to the side, I'm consistent on that. And I ALWAYS consider playoff #'s to be more meaningful than regular season, especially when you're talking 1990s and earlier when the three-point shot wasn't even guarded in the regular season unless you were in the clutch or named Reggie Miller.

Drexler had the exact same inconsistencies from midrange that he did from 3pt. He was streaky as hell and missed a lot more than he made, especially in tight situations. Did you watch that 4 minute clip of Drexler scoring on MJ? Four minutes of scoring highlights, and yet there were only two midrange jumpers in the entire clip.

We don't have stats from most of Drexler's career, but the only years we do have (97 and 98), he actually shot worse from midrange than LeBron's career averages. It's too small a sample size to determine much from, but I'd bet anything his earlier seasons were worse, not better, cause in general he shot better in Houston when he had the pressure off of him than he had previously in Portland.

U SKIPPIN OVER MY MAIN POINT

MANY HAVE PROVEN U CAN BE A MEDIOCRE SHOOTER AND STILL BE GREAT

CLYDE WAS A GREAT

HE’D BE EVEN GREATER TODAY AS SCORING IS EASIER

SIMPLE SCIENCE

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
I answered this on Page 13, Post 194, you just ignored it. But you simplify it, I wouldn't put PG over Glide;

I have Dame and Russ basically on par with Glide;

Paul and Harden were both clearly better players than Glide, who won at the same clip Drexler did in the regular season, except they both had longer primes and did it over longer stretches of time, while having to shoulder more burdens of responsibility for their teams, in a more competitive West than The West Clyde played in, and clearly performed at a higher degree of performance prime-for-prime as verified by annual MVP contention...

These guys were also on the whole just as durable as Clyde while wearing more hats...

Clyde never had to be the Blazers best scorer and distributor. And neither Paul nor Harden were flanked by a ton of HOF talent in their primes, and again, they were playing in a tougher conference than Clyde's...

The terminology of the era was lead guard and off guard. There was no "shooting" or "combo" guard in the verbiage. West was a lead guard who could shoot the laces off the ball. His role and responsibilities as a lead guard are what we attribute to a point guard today...

"Lead guard" evolved into "point guard"...

You're of the opinion that if Harden or Paul got to pair with a Top 2 player post-prime, they couldn't also contribute to a team that won a title?

Harden's post-prime has been hitched so far to an also post-prime Durant and Embiid who for as great as he is, has never been one of the two best players alive...

CP3's post-prime has been hitched to so far to an also post-prime Durant and Booker, who for as great as he is, has never been one of the two best players alive...

Hakeem was the best player in basketball in '95. If CP3 or Harden got to play with Jokic post-prime they'd have a title, too...

How many Clyde Drexlar games have you watched? This guy has admittedly said he started watching ball in the mid 00s...This is who yall are debating with. He takes stats from basketball reference(without context) and formulates his opinions and rankings. :camby:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
How many Clyde Drexlar games have you watched? This guy has admittedly said he started watching ball in the mid 00s...This is who yall are debating with. He takes stats from basketball reference(without context) and formulates his opinions and rankings. :camby:
The gynmastics of arguing “prime hakeem” vs “post prime durant” were so embarassing i couldnt even reply :laff:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
You stay saying I started watching ball in the mid-00s and I stay correcting your dumb ass I started watching in 1999. You stay ducking when I ask how long you been watching ball, though...

And you stay lying, your perpetually angry ass always throwing this lie around like I make stats-based arguments but can never link the post where my arguments hinge on statistics...

You are literally the only poster on here who has ever said I make statistic-based points. Old dumb ass nikka, even dudes who hold different views than I do don't say I'm a stat-scouring nikka...

You might be really dumb, old non-comprehending ass nikka...
The gynmastics of arguing “prime hakeem” vs “post prime durant” were so embarassing i couldnt even reply :laff:
Nah don't deflect, you not responding because there's no way to respond logically. The entire premise of your thread was blown down...

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

I started watching the Blazers religiously in 1987, and probably saw more Clyde Drexler games in real time than anyone else here. Are you just going to ignore that and move the goalposts depending on who you're arguing with?

Daps
Harden got these nikkas mesmerized.

Clyde over Harden easy.

In the 80s and early 90s, there was legitimate talk of Clyde being better than Jordan. And MJ was no slouch in the 80s. Like Clyde could do everything Jordan could, but was more of a team player and that held his stats back.

Clyde Drexler could not do everything Michael Jordan could do

Raw Lyrics

Sunset Park
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
  • NBA champion (21ppg starter)
  • 3 NBA finals
  • 5x all NBA (consider the shooting guards of the era)
  • NCAA title game
  • 2 gold medals
Got to play with his homie Hakeem twice and go to title game/series both times. Led 2 blazer teams to the finals.

Would you rather have the career of Clyde drexler, or James harden, Chris Paul, dame Lillard, Paul George, etc (today's stars who ain't gonna do it almost certainly)
He only played with Hakeem for one title run.

EDIT: my bad, you meant college. Thought you meant two Finals trips with Hakeem, since you’re talking about ringless guards.

Jeshaman

All Star
Daps
Clyde Drexler was unorthodox so I see why people underrate him, but make no bones he is for real. Years from now people will look at Jimmy Butler's bare bones game and use it to belittle how effective he was. I like Harden but for me Drexler is a better player.