Clyde Drexler's career and resume is looking pretty good compared to these guards who will retire ringless journeymen

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
The only points I'd definitively place over Paul are Magic, Steph, West, and Robertson. I'm not impressed with Zeke's career at all, I don't think Stockton was better than CP3. Those two were never tasked with the carry jobs he was tasked with, and if we're doing a skills competition, CP3 was better at virtually every basketball skill than Isiah besides maybe dribbling, and at every basketball skill than Stockton besides passing and man defense, where they were about the same. Paul was a significantly greater scorer when called upon than Stockton....

I remember the Deron/Paul conversations but I don't remember this consensus that Deron was better, it was more of a toss up. And that was gone by the time CP3 hit LA, we weren't even having that discussion anymore. Rose literally had a 3-year run he was even in the discussion and then it was over with...

Rose's career effectively ended when he went down in '12. 2012, '13, '14 were those in between years befire Steph's ascent, I'd say it was pretty widely agreed upon in that stretch that CP3 was the best point in basketball, and he'd been in that conversation anyway dating back to '08 or '07...
Derrick was done as a superstar after the ACL in 2012

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
THERE IS NO COMP FOR CLYDE TODAY

AND HE DEVELOPED HIS SHOT LATER IN HIS CAREER

He didn't develop his shot, he just took advantage of the short-ass line from 95-97. The year before they shortened the line, he shot 32.4% from 3pt. The year they moved the line back, he shot 31.7% from 3pt. In between, with a short-ass line that was basically just a long two, great spacing, and no pressure as the secondary scorer, he made 36%, 33.7%, and 35.5%, which aren't great #'s.

Even worse, when he played for Portland, Clyde was a career 25.9% from 3pt range in the playoffs. He got MUCH worse when the stakes got higher. And when he went to Houston and played with great spacing and that short-ass line? Still just 31.4% from 3pt in the playoffs.

By the late 1990s, Clyde had plenty of time to pick up a 3pt shot. And he still couldn't. Because his shooting form sucked.

BUT AS A SLASHER HE WAS A1 .. NOBODY IN THE LEAGUE TODAY CAN FINISH AT THE BASKET THE WAY DREXLER COULD

WITH THE SPACING IN TODAYS GAME, HE WOULD EAT

He had great spacing on Houston. Shooters AND man defense creates amazing spacing. Yet he didn't score at any incredible level.

The biggest issue with the spacing was him. In today's era, the fact that he's not a shooter at the 2 would be a serious problem. And with zone defenses, teams can play off non-shooters more and shift like they did with Bron when Bron wasn't confident with the jumper. That's despite Bron's jumper always being smoother than Clyde's.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
He didn't develop his shot, he just took advantage of the short-ass line from 95-97. The year before they shortened the line, he shot 32.4% from 3pt. The year they moved the line back, he shot 31.7% from 3pt. In between, with a short-ass line that was basically just a long two, great spacing, and no pressure as the secondary scorer, he made 36%, 33.7%, and 35.5%, which aren't great #'s.

Even worse, when he played for Portland, Clyde was a career 25.9% from 3pt range in the playoffs. He got MUCH worse when the stakes got higher. And when he went to Houston and played with great spacing and that short-ass line? Still just 31.4% from 3pt in the playoffs.

By the late 1990s, Clyde had plenty of time to pick up a 3pt shot. And he still couldn't. Because his shooting form sucked.

He had great spacing on Houston. Shooters AND man defense creates amazing spacing. Yet he didn't score at any incredible level.

The biggest issue with the spacing was him. In today's era, the fact that he's not a shooter at the 2 would be a serious problem. And with zone defenses, teams can play off non-shooters more and shift like they did with Bron when Bron wasn't confident with the jumper. That's despite Bron's jumper always being smoother than Clyde's.

HE’S NOT AS BAD A SHOOTER AS YOURE MAKING IT SEEM

THOSE PERCENTAGES WERE CONSIDERED SOLID DURING THAT ERA

RIGHT NOW THERES A PREMIUM ON SHOOTING, WHERE AS HE CAME UP IN A LEAGUE THAT HAD MOST COACHES DISCOURAGE THREES

HE’S TOO TALENTED AT WHAT HE DID TO NOT THRIVE IN A LEAGUE WHERE CATS LIKE TJ WARREN CAN DROP 50 ON U

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
HE’S NOT AS BAD A SHOOTER AS YOURE MAKING IT SEEM

THOSE PERCENTAGES WERE CONSIDERED SOLID DURING THAT ERA

First off, you're talking percentages and ignoring that his form was ASS. He launched it from behind his head and kicked both legs up in the air with his knees all funny. That's never going to be a consistent shot.

Second, yes his regular-season %'s were decent for his era, but you're ignoring that he was 28.8% lifetime from 3pt in the playoffs. That's fukking horrible, and that's boosted by three seasons with the short line, otherwise he was just 25.9%. And in the Finals he's lifetime 15.5% from 3pt, which might be the worst ever for his volume. He was really, really bad at shooting whenever it mattered, because his form failed him.

As a Blazers fan, you don't know how frustrating it was to almost reach the mountaintop only to have your shooting guard become a complete liability at shooting every time.

RIGHT NOW THERES A PREMIUM ON SHOOTING, WHERE AS HE CAME UP IN A LEAGUE THAT HAD MOST COACHES DISCOURAGE THREES

HE’S TOO TALENTED AT WHAT HE DID TO NOT THRIVE IN A LEAGUE WHERE CATS LIKE TJ WARREN CAN DROP 50 ON U

He would have to completely change his form from the start - in other words, be a completely different player.

I think he would get buckets in today's league. Just not at an elite level or elite efficiency. I don't think he'd be better than Jaylen Brown overall.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I'm reading a lot about dribbling skills, spacing, shooting form, 3pt shooting. About skills...does SUCCESS NOT MATTER? address this:
There isn't a single explanation, let alone excuse, I've seen for James Harden, Paul George, and Chris Paul, being surrounded by hall of fame support, and consistently failing to achieve, when Clyde Drexler got to 3 NBA finals with only one all NBA player beside him. Especially Paul and harden. I could've included Westbrook in this thread too btw, for the exact same reasons.

Drexler's second best teammate ever was a 2x all star.

At some point it's THEM.
All those incredible 3pt skills, dribbling skills, etc but they don't win shyt when it matters surrounded by HOF (other than Dame). Explain it. Because it AINT the team or the era...Why are they better than Clyde if they don't succeed like him???

Last edited:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That D Will/CP3 turned out to be a lie

When we sat back and watched how their careers played put CP3 was clearly the better player

As soon as :dwillhuh: got traded to the Nets he was GAHBAGE

D WILL HAD TO GET
MULTIPLE ANKLE SURGERIES.

HIS BODY WAS DONE.

NEXT YOURE GONNA
TELL ME ROSE WAS NEVER BETTER
THAN CP3 BECAUSE HE TORE HIS ACL.

LIKE I SAID CP3 HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE.

:devil:
:evil:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

CP3 JUST HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE...

AT THEIR PEAKS D-WILL
WAS BETTER THAN HIM,
THEN D-ROSE TOOK THE MANTLE,
THEN STEPH CURRY...

HE WAS NEVER CONSENSUS
BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE
BUT HES SUPPOSED TO BE
A TOP 4 PG OF ALL TIME?

Paul was closer to Billups than he was to d rose or curry, that's for damn sure.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps

CP3 JUST HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE...

AT THEIR PEAKS D-WILL
WAS BETTER THAN HIM,
THEN D-ROSE TOOK THE MANTLE,
THEN STEPH CURRY...

HE WAS NEVER CONSENSUS
BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE
BUT HES SUPPOSED TO BE
A TOP 4 PG OF ALL TIME?

There was never a time in their careers where Deron Williams was better than Chris Paul. Deron Williams was better in head-to-head because he could back Paul down in the post, but he was never better than Paul.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Every highlight I see of CLyde Drexler he is dribbling with his head down with only his right hand
Hell that was the knock on him by his peers. Yet, he still got to wherever he wanted on the court, and was dishing 6-7 apg

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm reading a lot about dribbling skills, spacing, shooting form, 3pt shooting. About skills...does SUCCESS NOT MATTER? address this:

All those incredible 3pt skills, dribbling skills, etc but they don't win shyt when it matters surrounded by HOF (other than Dame). Explain it. Because it AINT the team or the era...Why are they better than Clyde if they don't succeed like him???
What success did Drexler have? He won a ring with a team who won a ring the previous season. People crucify KD for joining a team that LOST in the finals the previous year.