Classic Article of the Source: Dr Dre Leaving Death Row

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Can't have a west coast album be the best shyt.
Lot of classic East Coast albums got the same treatment...
biggie_source1094.jpg

wutang_source294.jpg
raekwon_source995.jpg
mobb_source695.jpg

Only record to get the 5 it deserved post 91 and before Life After Death...
nas_source494.jpg

This was the real crime against the West Coast :francis:
ice-cube-dc.jpg

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And as we know now, there was the infamous group meeting before Dre left where Pac straight called him out for being gay and Dre say he wasn't gay but was bi lmao. And notice how Dre made it a point to tell the interviewer he was late cuz he was bangin out his lady. Ol insecure as dude.

Dre was my favorite artist back in the day, but he's a complete sellout and fakkit now.

If Pac hadn't died, DR would have went on to crush the game after Dre left. Pac brought a whole new vibe and reinvented DR. They could have done it without Dre.
no it wouldn't have. dre leaving death row was jimmy iovines first move in the dismantling of death row and the blackballing of suge knight. from jimmy's perspective, dre was the biggest asset on death row, everybody else could be replaced. so he made sure to seperate dre from suge and made sure he stayed on interscope by giving him his own label. after that, he could wait until his contracts with death row ran out and not renew them. nobody else was going to want to deal with suge and give him a new contract. he took his bullying too far to a point where the music industry just wanted to get rid of him. nobody wants to do business with a guy that kicks down your office doors, beats up your employees or even you and brings constant negative press. death row didn't just die a slow death because pac got shot and suge went to jail, it was blackballed because suge took his bullying too far. watch that video in the other thread, where this rico suave guy talks about suge knight. it was just a matter of time.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
That east coast west coast song had zero impact when it came out, I don't even remember it. As I read the article I wondered if it had even come out.
Yeah it had some buzz when it first dropped, and he video was kind of dope but it reflected that Aftermath project as a whole, just underwhelming and forgettable.

I forgot about Dre wanting the Black Market name. Surprised he hadn't heard of the name prior to wanting g to aquire it.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
source-july-1996-82_2.jpg

I posted the article on my page. Man Dre was talking alot of sh*t here.. He came across as very condescending at times but also very serious and was basically defending his name. He basically BURIED D.O.C., responded to Tupac(which most likely led to about 3 or 4 diss records coming to his direction), he talked about the East/West beef and explained why he didn't stand with Snoop on trial.

I didnt know the original name for Aftermath was Black Market Records, He tried to buy out Cedric Singleton(who ran the original black market and had Brotha Lynch and X-raided) out but he refused, told Dre either a 100 stacks or beat it. Dre said fukk it :yeshrug:Definitely worth the read

CLASSIC SOURCE INTERVIEW: Dr Dre Leaves Death Row
:blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed::blessed:

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man that nikka Dre had a hell of a vision :wow: GOAT visionary brehs shyt is unreal. Dre stuck to the music and put money in everyone's pockets

:wow:

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its crazy to think about how eminem saved his career. Before eminem aftermath was floundering and directionless. Dres production was meh at best at that time.

On the same side,eminem wouldnt be where he is without dres cosign. If he had signed to like duck down hed be just another rippity rap underground white boy.

Well, even though Eminem's Slim Shady LP was a big success.... the real reason for Aftermath's refocused direction was due to his wife Nicole. She told Dre that he needs to go back to that hardcore shyt that he used to do. Before then, Dre was on that other bullshyt as described in the interview.

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Dah Shinin should've gotten 4.5.

Nah, I think 3.5 The best BCC album is naturally Enta Da Stage (4), followed by MF. The rest of them are 3.5 to me.

With Da Shinin I think it was too laid back for me. Granted, I haven't listened or heard it in 20 years, but still. I think it was too laid back for my tastes.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Who has the best summary of the surrounding events from that time? From N.W.A. to Death Row to Aftermath. I'm looking for the whole story breh.

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
GREAT THREAD OP

SIDE NOTE, IMAGINE IF THEY WOULDA GOTTEN THE NAME BLACK MARKET RECORDS AND EMINEM WOULDA BEEN THE FIRST ARTIST TO DROP....OH, THE fukkERY.