Classic Article of the Source: Dr Dre Leaving Death Row

<<TheStandard>>

I Am A God
Daps
Standards were really high back then

People judge albums wrong anyways....

3 and 3.5 are dope albums......4 is great. 5 is classic.

These days people are offended if an album isn't 4 or above on a 5 scale. Look at the ratings from the Source/XXL back in the mid 2000s. Basically Eminem said it best, "3 and a half now, just means you a piece of shyt". Everything dope by default got a 4.

Dead Prez-Let's Get Free is a dope album to me and only got a 3.5 and to be honest that's accurate.

DaHNIC82

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Off The Cuff Radio/ScrewballRadio/BudeBoyEnt
Never read this before. :salute:

Crazy to see how Dre was pretty vocal about not really fukking with Pac like that when he went to Death Row.

I remember reading that story in XXL's about the making of All Eyez On Me and how Cailfornia Love was Dre's record and Suge made him give it to Pac. Also add on to the fact he never really liked him to begin with.

Then reading how he sided with Biggie and sneaking in those sub shots about how the only folks he respected on Death Row was everybody on the original Chronic on top of Snoop being Death Row's biggest assist when All Eyez On Me sold millions of records.

His responses were passive agreesivie like a motherfukker and reminded me of this motherfukker right here :heh:

So now it makes more sense why Pac was dissing him even more on Makaveli and made Toss It Up out of the No Diggity beat just to spite him :pachaha:

"Yeah we took your beat, because yall weren't rocking it right :pacspit:!!"

Then years later he drops Pac's hologram and acts like him and Pac were long lost homies :mjlol:

Crazy to think about it.

But other then that, the interview was dope and it's crazy to see how he had that NWA biopic and soundtrack idea from the jump :wow:

Matter a fact..all the shyt he said on here damn near came true decades later..

It's a wonder c bo wasn't feeling that Tupac hologram shyt they did

ULCYril

Pro
Daps
Nah, I think 3.5 The best BCC album is naturally Enta Da Stage (4), followed by MF. The rest of them are 3.5 to me.

With Da Shinin I think it was too laid back for me. Granted, I haven't listened or heard it in 20 years, but still. I think it was too laid back for my tastes.
all opinions I guess but I find it hard to rate the bcc early releases under 4 to 4.5 and ill prob go on a limb but yeah knocturnal was a 4.5 to a 5 for me black moon 4.5
Da shinin 4.5
Cocca bruvz 4
Knocturnal 5
Ogc .4 maybe a 3.5 pushing to 4
Magnum force. 4
To me bcc couldn't do shyt wrong early every thing was heat

Axum Ezana

Driving in the fast lane
Daps
I find it so funny to look back all these years later and people continue to look up to Pac when it was clear he was only Suge's hired goon. He basically said whatever Suge was thinking. How are you a revolutionary with somebody like Suge pulling your strings? But hey, people gon believe what they want.

thats cause pac been on that pro black/militant tip wayyyyyy before he ever met suge.

suge pulled no string pac knowingly bargained with him...he was finna leave death row any way.

if yall study shyt you would know master p biggest influence music n buisness wise is pac. now look how master was independent ....thats what pac wanted, he just got killed before he could do it.

shyt pac is the one who came up with "death row east".....then diddy later tried to do "bad boy south".:jbhmm:

plus being a "real street gangsta" killing up black folk is nothing revolutionary:camby:, but being a black panther, fighting against this goliath amerikkkan/roman empire, is.:demonic:

ULCYril

Pro
Daps
thats cause pac been on that pro black/militaindayyyyyy before he ever met suge.

suge pulled no string pac knowingly bargained with him...he was finna leave death row any way.

if yall study shyt you would know master p biggest influence music n buisness wise is pac. now look how master was independent ....thats what pac wanted, he just got killed before he could do it.

shyt pac is the one who came up with "death row east".....then diddy later tried to do "bad boy south".:jbhmm:

plus being a "real street gangsta" killing up black folk is nothing revolutionary:camby:, but being a black panther, fighting against this goliath amerikkkan/roman empire, is.:demonic:

ha why would master p look up or be influenced by pac wen p already releasing albums independantly before pac and with success p had hes own company before pac released a album and was a back up dancer for digital underground go study b :ufdup:

Last edited:

DirtyMoney

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yo u got that magazine that used to rate hiphop albums via the periodic table of elements(but rap version) ? can't find 1 fukkin copy anywhere.

raoulduke187

All Star
Daps
dope read

Dre was biting off a little more than he could chew with the whole new direction/gangsta rap is dead type of shyt, makes sense why he went back to his roots on 2001 after that Aftermath compilation and The Firm flopped

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Lmao @ this nikka believing suge knight on andre being gay
pac also said dre is gay. At first he said im not gong to put dre business out like that "Everything In The Dark Must Come Out In The Lightt" in a interview but later he said fuk that and put dre gay business out

Juggalo Fred

Juggalo and horrorcore enthusiast
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Juggalo island
ha why would master p look up or be influenced by pac wen p already releasing albums independantly before pac and with success p had hes own company before pac released a album and was a back up dancer for digital underground go study b :ufdup:
Nobody cared about master p until 1997, fact.

Sunalmighty

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Oakland, Ca
Yeah it had some buzz when it first dropped, and he video was kind of dope but it reflected that Aftermath project as a whole, just underwhelming and forgettable.

I forgot about Dre wanting the Black Market name. Surprised he hadn't heard of the name prior to wanting g to aquire it.
I had to look and see who was under Black Market Records label. I had never heard of em