Civil War | Discussion Thread | A24 (4/24/2024, Dir/Writer. Alex Garland, starring Kirsten Dunst)

Braman

Superstar
Daps
The White States are the "Loyalists". They had nukes in New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri. IRL they woulda aired out half of the country before they'd let Washington be overran :yeshrug:

I dont think you understand how nukes work :heh: They aren’t firing nukes on American soil. Especially since it’s not logical to think one side would have them and the other wouldn’t . It would be mutually assured destruction.

Also 1 man —-president or otherwise—-would not = Washington is overrun. If Mike Pence would have been taken out they are not nuking the eastern seaboard as a response

And again that’s why thr movie is so great bc it showcases the breakdown in rational thought and typical MO. People are so focused on states but that’s a cover for political sides. Bc in actuality things would be split down political sides. And in that event, you’d be surprised at the weaknesses and holes that up when the entire federal government is split in 2. And believe it or not we’ve seen this! The CIA knocked off JFK :ohhh: Trump made the FBI an opp. Etc. So who’d be more powerful a localized military with all the force, or the FBI with all the intel?? shyt, idk! There would be a lot of tangled webs no one side would have a clear edge

Last edited:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dont think you understand how nukes work :heh: They aren’t firing nukes on American soil. Especially since it’s not logical to think one side would have them and the other wouldn’t . It would be mutually assured destruction.

Also 1 man —-president or otherwise—-would not = Washington is overrun. If Mike Pence would have been taken out they are not nuking the eastern seaboard as a response

And again that’s why thr movie is so great bc it showcases the breakdown in rational thought and typical MO. People are so focused on states but that’s a cover for political sides. Bc in actuality things would be split down political sides. And in that event, you’d be surprised at the weaknesses and holes that up when the entire federal government is split in 2. And believe it or not we’ve seen this! The CIA knocked off JFK :ohhh: Trump made the FBI an opp. Etc. So who’d be more powerful a localized military with all the force, or the FBI with all the intel?? shyt, idk! There would be a lot of tangled webs no one side would have a clear edge

Stop. My father was Air Force and my best childhood friend works in a role that puts them in frequent contact with the President and various congressmen. As in every person yall talk about on here. I don’t need you to lecture me. I can talk to them about it and they both agreed it was unrealistic :heh: Mutually Assured Destruction is out of the window anyway when the entire country has collapsed :heh:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Stop. My father was Air Force and my best childhood friend works in a role that puts them in frequent contact with the President and various congressmen. As in every person yall talk about on here. I don’t need you to lecture me. I can talk to them about it and they both agreed it was unrealistic :heh: Mutually Assured Destruction is out of the window anyway when the entire country has collapsed :heh:

What’s that supposed to mean to me? :wtf: I’m in the dmv bro having access to Potus and congress does not impress me nor does it make one a nuclear expert ….and you STILL dont know how nukes work :pachaha:

A ‘collapsed country’ is not the same as MAD

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What’s that supposed to mean to me? :wtf: I’m in the dmv bro having access to Potus and congress does not impress me nor does it make one a nuclear expert ….and you STILL dont know how nukes work :pachaha:

A ‘collapsed country’ is not the same as MAD

Their opinions >>>>>>>> your opinion.

By far :heh:

You're a nikka on the Coli. And being in the DMV is not the same thing as being one of the decision makers at a government agency. So yea, they have more credibility then you. The fact you think our military would ever let the capitol be breached and that the president would be hiding under his desk is kinda ridiculous :heh:

And just so we're clear here. You started this disrespectful conversation.

cartierhoe

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
South Florida
Came a long way :wow:

FLmL1UYWQAAkaiQ.jpg:large
I hated that mf in Like Mike:wow:

He came thru in the end though lol

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
Can't wait to buy this movie in 4K and rewatch it loud as fukk.

Wanted to see it again in IMAX, but they replaced it with goddamn Abigail. That stupid little vampire movie. Criminal

4K Blu Ray Pre-Orders are now up on Amazon, for fellow physial media (the very best movie quality) junkies

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Their opinions >>>>>>>> your opinion.

By far :heh:

You're a nikka on the Coli. And being in the DMV is not the same thing as being one of the decision makers at a government agency. So yea, they have more credibility then you.
The fact you think our military would ever let the capitol be breached and that the president would be hiding under his desk is kinda ridiculous :heh:

And just so we're clear here. You started this disrespectful conversation.

My ngga you don’t know WHAT I do for a living. I’ll leave it at that. :heh:

And pro tip never play chicken with a DMV ngga it’s a small world you’d be surprised who works where and does what :pachaha: fukk around and find out your friend is a GS10 booking conference rooms. Relax my guy :umad:

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My ngga you don’t know WHAT I do for a living. I’ll leave it at that. :heh:

And pro tip never play chicken with a DMV ngga it’s a small world you’d be surprised who works where and does what :pachaha: fukk around and find out your friend is a GS10 booking conference rooms. Relax my guy :umad:

Booking conference rooms :mjlol:

Aight breh.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
A podcast said the girl reminded them of Elliott Page when they first started. I was like so you mean Ellen Page :troll:

Rain

👀
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I really liked it. I thought the journalist angle was actually a much more interesting story than a generic war movie. I still came out of it thinking this was more a movie for laymen apolitical types so they could just enjoy the action and not have to worry about a complex political background, while still having just a little bit there to bite on to for those politically aware. But then I read this thread and realize that apparently some laymen are still too dumb to glean anything from it.

It was almost a relief that they skipped all the background politics, because based on the maps they released in the run up showing the union of CA and TX I was ready to go in hating whatever bullshyt non offensive political narrative they would try to spin. With that said, there was actually a pretty strong political message in the movie. If you just pay attention and use a bit of critical thinking, there was enough to give some context and real world parallels without them having to spell out every detail of the war.:

The President was on his third term and whatever actions he implimented to get there were controversial, which implies certain things (that he refused to leave office/modified the constitution/took back power in a coup/just plain doesn't believe in Democracy/etc). The President firebombed his own citizens, meaning he was an iron fist dictatorial type. His army kills press on sight, pointing to fascist suppression of the free press. They mention Antifa being massacred in the past, meaning it's a world where protest is violently stifled, specifically anti-fascist protest. Not to mention the very first scene in the movie has the President riffing a blowhard speech saying nonsense like "Some people are saying it's the greatest ever military campaign in a war ever" in a direct allegory to Trump. Pretty much everything points to an ultra Trump like figure.
The movie was very loudly a warning about electing a President like Trump, and the general danger of ultra right wing politics and what it can lead to. Props to Garland for being able to somehow craft such a strong message without beating you over the head with it.

The background for the Civil War is that a fascist dictator of a President has gone too far and caused the nation to split into rebelling factions. Anything beyond that doesn't matter to the story at all. It's not complex or deep, but it's there. We know why everyone is gunning for the president, and the alliances they formed after the fact is meaningless. This isn't our America, we don't know what their Texas and California look like in the alt universe where the government massacred Antifa 20 years ago.

I loved the dark humor, cinematography and camera work, sound design, etc. All the stuff that everyone has already been complimenting in this thread. I do agree with whoever said it was more like an experience than a movie. As a movie movie it had a bunch of flaws, but as a movie experience it was great edge of your seat cinema.

A few things I didn't like: They made it difficult for me not to hate the young girl in the movie. She's overly naive and it's her fault multiple people die, and yet it feels like they want or needed her to be the anchoring point in the movie. Someone for the audience to self insert into, as someone who is new to the world of war journalism. fukk her though, her lack of experience was not relatable and I wish she died instead of Dune guy and Mary Jane. Pushing her way into getting in the car for the road trip, the way she goaded Dunst to wear the dress, getting in the way of everyone all the time, getting Dunst killed. Just the worst. I was waiting for someone to snap at her, but they all just coddled her.

Also, the entire scene with the Hong Kong guy driving up was just dumb as hell. First, why would they be speeding around like that in a fukking war zone. Yes, war journalists are reckless, but not in such a needlessly dumb way. Having the young girl then copy the needlessly dumb reckless bullshyt just took me out of the movie and ruined my immersion for a bit. It just felt like bad writing for the sake of pushing the plot along to reach the Meth Damon scene. Plus the two guys who just showed up being the only ones Plemons kills was a little too cute for my tastes.

The President just hiding under a desk and not tucked in a bunker, or at least being surrounded by guards in a last hoorah shootout moment was also immersion breaking. Pretty dumb.

"Once you start asking questions you can't stop" though, so I'm not going to keep questioning it when I enjoyed the experience.
I enjoyed this and I think you pretty much summed up all my thoughts on the film.

Some people wanted this to be a movie that it never intended to be. Just critique it for what is