Civil War | Discussion Thread | A24 (4/24/2024, Dir/Writer. Alex Garland, starring Kirsten Dunst)

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Let me rephrase. I was not ‘confused’ bc I get what they were trying to do. It was just poorly executed and extra

She hadn’t built up enough callous to be that…callous. The guy, the 2 Asians, the fat guy all veterans all showed emotion. Even her saving the lil girl shows emotion. But this lil girl is psychopath nunb after 1 week. :aicmon:

Like the way it went down was giving grimy and heartless, not ‘hardened by war’. And it was very little they had to show to better articulate it. A brief moment of sadness then have her swallow it would have suffice. But they had her taking flicks of her lifeless body midair

:bryan:
I mean, since the beginning she was exhibiting reckless crashout behavior :manny:

I just saw it as her getting caught in the moment and not missing the chance to capture it.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
I really liked it. I thought the journalist angle was actually a much more interesting story than a generic war movie. I still came out of it thinking this was more a movie for laymen apolitical types so they could just enjoy the action and not have to worry about a complex political background, while still having just a little bit there to bite on to for those politically aware. But then I read this thread and realize that apparently some laymen are still too dumb to glean anything from it.

It was almost a relief that they skipped all the background politics, because based on the maps they released in the run up showing the union of CA and TX I was ready to go in hating whatever bullshyt non offensive political narrative they would try to spin. With that said, there was actually a pretty strong political message in the movie. If you just pay attention and use a bit of critical thinking, there was enough to give some context and real world parallels without them having to spell out every detail of the war.:

The President was on his third term and whatever actions he implimented to get there were controversial, which implies certain things (that he refused to leave office/modified the constitution/took back power in a coup/just plain doesn't believe in Democracy/etc). The President firebombed his own citizens, meaning he was an iron fist dictatorial type. His army kills press on sight, pointing to fascist suppression of the free press. They mention Antifa being massacred in the past, meaning it's a world where protest is violently stifled, specifically anti-fascist protest. Not to mention the very first scene in the movie has the President riffing a blowhard speech saying nonsense like "Some people are saying it's the greatest ever military campaign in a war ever" in a direct allegory to Trump. Pretty much everything points to an ultra Trump like figure.
The movie was very loudly a warning about electing a President like Trump, and the general danger of ultra right wing politics and what it can lead to. Props to Garland for being able to somehow craft such a strong message without beating you over the head with it.

The background for the Civil War is that a fascist dictator of a President has gone too far and caused the nation to split into rebelling factions. Anything beyond that doesn't matter to the story at all. It's not complex or deep, but it's there. We know why everyone is gunning for the president, and the alliances they formed after the fact is meaningless. This isn't our America, we don't know what their Texas and California look like in the alt universe where the government massacred Antifa 20 years ago.

I loved the dark humor, cinematography and camera work, sound design, etc. All the stuff that everyone has already been complimenting in this thread. I do agree with whoever said it was more like an experience than a movie. As a movie movie it had a bunch of flaws, but as a movie experience it was great edge of your seat cinema.

A few things I didn't like: They made it difficult for me not to hate the young girl in the movie. She's overly naive and it's her fault multiple people die, and yet it feels like they want or needed her to be the anchoring point in the movie. Someone for the audience to self insert into, as someone who is new to the world of war journalism. fukk her though, her lack of experience was not relatable and I wish she died instead of Dune guy and Mary Jane. Pushing her way into getting in the car for the road trip, the way she goaded Dunst to wear the dress, getting in the way of everyone all the time, getting Dunst killed. Just the worst. I was waiting for someone to snap at her, but they all just coddled her.

Also, the entire scene with the Hong Kong guy driving up was just dumb as hell. First, why would they be speeding around like that in a fukking war zone. Yes, war journalists are reckless, but not in such a needlessly dumb way. Having the young girl then copy the needlessly dumb reckless bullshyt just took me out of the movie and ruined my immersion for a bit. It just felt like bad writing for the sake of pushing the plot along to reach the Meth Damon scene. Plus the two guys who just showed up being the only ones Plemons kills was a little too cute for my tastes.

The President just hiding under a desk and not tucked in a bunker, or at least being surrounded by guards in a last hoorah shootout moment was also immersion breaking. Pretty dumb.

"Once you start asking questions you can't stop" though, so I'm not going to keep questioning it when I enjoyed the experience.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Let me rephrase. I was not ‘confused’ bc I get what they were trying to do. It was just poorly executed and extra

She hadn’t built up enough callous to be that…callous. The guy, the 2 Asians, the fat guy all veterans all showed emotion. Even her saving the lil girl shows emotion. But this lil girl is psychopath nunb after 1 week. :aicmon:

Like the way it went down was giving grimy and heartless, not ‘hardened by war’. And it was very little they had to show to better articulate it. A brief moment of sadness then have her swallow it would have suffice. But they had her taking flicks of her lifeless body midair

:bryan:

They did give the moment of sadness. Immediately after Dunst goes down she's completely paralyzed in shock and Joel has to force her to snap out of it and get moving again. They even show her view as she pauses to look back right before entering the President's office, almost like she was considering turning back and just running away from everything after what just happened. She wasn't callous at all, she was in shock the entire time after.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
Know your history brotha. Embed journalists are often the best and only documentation of wars. All the news we took for granted before social media, they got. From both world wars to Vietnam to both Iraq wars.

The road-trip was also the only plausible way to document what the landscape looked like bc no other population had any reason to force themselves into enemy lines except them. Makes it unique as a war movie
I can buy that. Still was bit of a drag on the overall film. They obviously had budget constraints.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
I really liked it. I thought the journalist angle was actually a much more interesting story than a generic war movie. I still came out of it thinking this was more a movie for laymen apolitical types so they could just enjoy the action and not have to worry about a complex political background, while still having just a little bit there to bite on to for those politically aware. But then I read this thread and realize that apparently some laymen are still too dumb to glean anything from it.

It was almost a relief that they skipped all the background politics, because based on the maps they released in the run up showing the union of CA and TX I was ready to go in hating whatever bullshyt non offensive political narrative they would try to spin. With that said, there was actually a pretty strong political message in the movie. If you just pay attention and use a bit of critical thinking, there was enough to give some context and real world parallels without them having to spell out every detail of the war.:

The President was on his third term and whatever actions he implimented to get there were controversial, which implies certain things (that he refused to leave office/modified the constitution/took back power in a coup/just plain doesn't believe in Democracy/etc). The President firebombed his own citizens, meaning he was an iron fist dictatorial type. His army kills press on sight, pointing to fascist suppression of the free press. They mention Antifa being massacred in the past, meaning it's a world where protest is violently stifled, specifically anti-fascist protest. Not to mention the very first scene in the movie has the President riffing a blowhard speech saying nonsense like "Some people are saying it's the greatest ever military campaign in a war ever" in a direct allegory to Trump. Pretty much everything points to an ultra Trump like figure.
The movie was very loudly a warning about electing a President like Trump, and the general danger of ultra right wing politics and what it can lead to. Props to Garland for being able to somehow craft such a strong message without beating you over the head with it.

The background for the Civil War is that a fascist dictator of a President has gone too far and caused the nation to split into rebelling factions. Anything beyond that doesn't matter to the story at all. It's not complex or deep, but it's there. We know why everyone is gunning for the president, and the alliances they formed after the fact is meaningless. This isn't our America, we don't know what their Texas and California look like in the alt universe where the government massacred Antifa 20 years ago.

I loved the dark humor, cinematography and camera work, sound design, etc. All the stuff that everyone has already been complimenting in this thread. I do agree with whoever said it was more like an experience than a movie. As a movie movie it had a bunch of flaws, but as a movie experience it was great edge of your seat cinema.

A few things I didn't like: They made it difficult for me not to hate the young girl in the movie. She's overly naive and it's her fault multiple people die, and yet it feels like they want or needed her to be the anchoring point in the movie. Someone for the audience to self insert into, as someone who is new to the world of war journalism. fukk her though, her lack of experience was not relatable and I wish she died instead of Dune guy and Mary Jane. Pushing her way into getting in the car for the road trip, the way she goaded Dunst to wear the dress, getting in the way of everyone all the time, getting Dunst killed. Just the worst. I was waiting for someone to snap at her, but they all just coddled her.

Also, the entire scene with the Hong Kong guy driving up was just dumb as hell. First, why would they be speeding around like that in a fukking war zone. Yes, war journalists are reckless, but not in such a needlessly dumb way. Having the young girl then copy the needlessly dumb reckless bullshyt just took me out of the movie and ruined my immersion for a bit. It just felt like bad writing for the sake of pushing the plot along to reach the Meth Damon scene. Plus the two guys who just showed up being the only ones Plemons kills was a little too cute for my tastes.

The President just hiding under a desk and not tucked in a bunker, or at least being surrounded by guards in a last hoorah shootout moment was also immersion breaking. Pretty dumb.

"Once you start asking questions you can't stop" though, so I'm not going to keep questioning it when I enjoyed the experience.

steve-carell-thankyou.gif

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps
Correct me if I missed something. Couldn't tell if the Western Front was good guys or bad guys and that includes the President. Also, what was their objectives.

It's not directly in the film, because that's not the point of the film.

But there are enough context clues that tell us that Texas and Cali decided to join forces to put down a fascist, while the the Midwest and East Coast was totally fine with his regime.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
It's not directly in the film, because that's not the point of the film.

But there are enough context clues that tell us that Texas and Cali decided to join forces to put down a fascist, while the the Midwest and East Coast was totally fine with his regime.
:ehh:That's fair. Thanks.

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
Straight up, this is the best movie I've seen in a long time. And the very best theatrical experince since back when Avengers were running shyt.

The sound in IMAX was INCREDIBLE, and really took the film to another level. The action scenes near the end were absolutely some of the best combat I've seen in film point blank.

fukking excellent film. Especially as a photographer

Last edited:

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Movie was A1 until the final arc when they made it to Washington. They wouldve aired the entire country out before they let Washington get overran by rebels :pachaha: It would've made more sense for insiders in the President's circle to be secretly working with the WF and have him die that way.

To me that’s what made this movie so great bc….who is “they” :wtf: A fractured government from head to toe would be chaos and things we take for granted would be turned upside down

Also you can’t ’air out’ an area when your leadership occupies the same area. Not for one second did I watch this and think any of this was unbelievable. Partly bc, it gets pretty overlooked that on January 6 they absolutely could have made an attempt on Mike pence’s life

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
To me that’s what made this movie so great bc….who is “they” :wtf: A fractured government from head to toe would be chaos and things we take for granted would be turned upside down

Also you can’t ’air out’ an area when your leadership occupies the same area. Not for one second did I watch this and think any of this was unbelievable. Partly bc, it gets pretty overlooked that on January 6 they absolutely could have made an attempt on Mike pence’s life

The White States are the "Loyalists". They had nukes in New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri. IRL they woulda aired out half of the country before they'd let Washington be overran :yeshrug: and the President woulda been in Appalachia somewhere in a bunker. With that said, the President in the movie was supposed to be a sinister version of Trump I think so I don't really care.

us-nuclear-weapons-prev.png

GBmFYg4WAAE6wlI.jpeg