Civil War | Discussion Thread | A24 (4/24/2024, Dir/Writer. Alex Garland, starring Kirsten Dunst)

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
GLjIUUmXoAAZALz

Daps
Good movie, sound quality was crazy good but it was lacking on story telling. I wanted a backstory on everything but I understand why that wasn't givin
Didn't want to piss off either side , this movie is apolitical . Was pretty disappointed at that. Definitely wasn't worth theater ticket admission. Wish I would have waited till it hit streams

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Just saw it. Grade A. Gives me chills bc I think it maybe ahead of its time. I think of all those Iraq war movies in the 00s: Jarhead, The Kingsom, etc and I think this will be the genre people look back on 10,15 years from now (anyone feel free to correct me if other movies like this have been done, specific to post-Trump civil war)

Truly chilling and it felt absolutely believable. Jess Plemons is one of the greatest actors I’ve ever seen. That is one ominous mfer

Braman

Superstar
Daps
The end had me a lil confused

Why’d they make ol girls death so callous. Lil girl took a pic of her death and kept it moving :bryan: After she saved her life :wtf: wtf was that. I know they set that up with the earlier speech ‘would you take a picture of my death’ but I see that as more tough love not something to hold a gripe on. Plus they never properly established any animosity between them. Idk that was a very odd moment

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal

Why’d they make ol girls death so callous. Lil girl took a pic of her death and kept it moving :bryan: After she saved her life :wtf: wtf was that. I know they set that up with the earlier speech ‘would you take a picture of my death’ but I see that as more tough love not something to hold a gripe on. Plus they never properly established any animosity between them. Idk that was a very odd moment
There was no animosity. It was only business and major stupidity from the girl. Lee would've done the same thing.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

Thats is what living in war does to you. It turns the jesse’s of the world, doey eye optimists, into the lee’s of the world. She became more and more risk taking, less scared, more hardened every scene. That was her breaking bad for lack of a better phrase. there was no illwill or animosity.

“this is war does to you / society”is the entire point of the film to me…including how Lee broke down at the end.

the elastic

livin' outside of the matrix
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the bay/norcal
Thats is what living in war does to you. It turns the jesse’s of the world, doey eye optimists, into the lee’s of the world. She became more and more risk taking, less scared, more hardened every scene. That was her breaking bad for lack of a better phrase. there was no illwill or animosity.

“this is war does to you / society”is the entire point of the film to me…including how Lee broke down at the end.
And that's why it was so important for the film to be mostly apolitical and the main character's to be neutral. We aren't supposed to be focused on individual or organizational motivations, moreso the affect what a fractured, wartorn home could be like. How unhinged, selfish opportunists seize power and regular folk suffer because of them.

Braman

Superstar
Daps
Maybe a plot that didn't include these journalists period. Or maybe a journalist who joined the rebel force infiltrating DC. Kinda like the last act we saw but much more of that instead of said road trip plot.

Know your history brotha. Embed journalists are often the best and only documentation of wars. All the news we took for granted before social media, they got. From both world wars to Vietnam to both Iraq wars.

The road-trip was also the only plausible way to document what the landscape looked like bc no other population had any reason to force themselves into enemy lines except them. Makes it unique as a war movie

Braman

Superstar
Daps
There was no animosity. It was only business and major stupidity from the girl. Lee would've done the same thing.

Let me rephrase. I was not ‘confused’ bc I get what they were trying to do. It was just poorly executed and extra

She hadn’t built up enough callous to be that…callous. The guy, the 2 Asians, the fat guy all veterans all showed emotion. Even her saving the lil girl shows emotion. But this lil girl is psychopath nunb after 1 week. :aicmon:

Like the way it went down was giving grimy and heartless, not ‘hardened by war’. And it was very little they had to show to better articulate it. A brief moment of sadness then have her swallow it would have suffice. But they had her taking flicks of her lifeless body midair

:bryan: