THE CHAMPIONSHIP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
They had Big Daddy Kane on Unsung yet we all (hopefully) recognize his greatness. Bone introduced that style to the world regardless, that's like crediting Cube or Face for Pac's influence, of course they deserve some credit but it don't not that Pac don't deserve any too lol.
Your right WE recognize Big Daddy Kane's greatness but that doesn't mean the mainstream or even your average hip hop fan does. I would like to think most of us are experts in hip hop. Scarface was on Unsung too as part of the Geto Boys. We all know how great he is but my mama didn't. She watched that episode and was like "Oh yeah I remember My Mind Playing Tricks On Me". She remember Crossroads but she didn't know who it was. Better believe she knows who the Wu is tho

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I dapped @Billy Ocean when he posted a smiley though :lolbron:
I don't subscribe to the notion that you have to hear an artists entire discography to weigh in with an opinion though. There's so much classic hip hop that I want to check out, but still haven't, that I don't have time to listen to stuff I know is gonna be wack just to say I did.
All that said, I wouldn't mind listening to Bone solos - I don't think Bone is wack at all - I'm just not a fan.

Oh, didn't even notice lol. But yes my point is if you haven't heard Bizzy's albums how can you REALLY comment on his MC'in ability when he rhymed very differently on those albums?. Isn't a more objective opinion someone who's heard every album of every MC?. I understand the time constraints shyt, but personally I have checked every Bone and Wu album, even many of the affiliate shyt, infact know some of the Wu Affiliates.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your right WE recognize Big Daddy Kane's greatness but that doesn't mean the mainstream or even your average hip hop fan does. I would like to think most of us are experts in hip hop. Scarface was on Unsung too as part of the Geto Boys. We all know how great he is but my mama didn't. She watched that episode and was like "Oh yeah I remember My Mind Playing Tricks On Me". She remember Crossroads but she didn't know who it was. Better believe she knows who the Wu is tho

Yeah but if your using that mainstream argument weren't Bone a more commercially successful group than Wu Tang? This is what I don't understand. That's what I mean, fukk the mainstream, in Hip Hop we love Kane, Face, Bone, Wu and all them, I don't feel like that should be the criteria to judge or dismiss brother/sisters on.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Wu has a new song getting played in regular rotation on HipHop Nation and Shade 45 right now

Ok but I thought we were talking about hits?. A lot of records get played on them stations. Bone had bigger records than Wu recently so I don't see how that logic can be used as a stick to beat Bone with.

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Oh, didn't even notice lol. But yes my point is if you haven't heard Bizzy's albums how can you REALLY comment on his MC'in ability when he rhymed very differently on those albums?. Isn't a more objective opinion someone who's heard every album of every MC?. I understand the time constraints shyt, but personally I have checked every Bone and Wu album, even many of the affiliate shyt, infact know some of the Wu Affiliates.
That's a good point - if any of them experimented with their style, or started rhyming in a manner where you could actually understand what they were saying, on the solos - I would have missed it.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Yeah but if your using that mainstream argument weren't Bone a more commercially successful group than Wu Tang? This is what I don't understand. That's what I mean, fukk the mainstream, in Hip Hop we love Kane, Face, Bone, Wu and all them, I don't feel like that should be the criteria to judge or dismiss brother/sisters on.
Mainstream success is only one piece of the pie. Can anybody who was in high school in 97 remember a bigger hip hop event than when that Wu Tang Forever dropped? nikkas cut class to cop that

DANJ!

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Wacky doesn't know WTF he's talkin' about half the time. Either that, or he skews the facts to fit his argument better. Let's be real- both Wu and Bone line up the same. They both peaked in the mid-90s, started losing steam by the end of the decade, had inner turmoil and a drop in popularity by the early-2000s, have never fully recovered but have managed to maintain a folllowing, and are both considered legendary today. Preferring one over the other is relative, but there's no real, unbiased way to act like one just faaaaaaar surpassed the other.

I'm going with Wu because to me, they brought a lot to the game that I'm not even sure people acknowledge anymore. Before them, you didn't see these big groups come out where the members were solo acts in their own right, and then branched off to create their own shyt and build their own fanbases. Not only was the group itself huge, but specific members were individually. They're one of VERY few to do shyt like a clothing line that was actually popular for some years. They established a brand loyalty to a point where even a B-team, C-team affiliate of their crew could come out and at least get some level of attention if that Wu symbol was on their shyt. And then there's the music itself, which was consistently quality until probably '99 when the fall-off really started taking place (despite being briefly rescusitated by Ghost's album). And that's not to negate BTNH, but their run falls short of what Wu did in the game.

mr x

Superstar
Daps
tumblr_m5e1u4Z9061ro1c3fo1_1280.jpg

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mainstream success is only one piece of the pie. Can anybody who was in high school in 97 remember a bigger hip hop event than when that Wu Tang Forever dropped? nikkas cut class to cop that

I thought that was the criteria you were using though, that's why I was confused. I don't give a fukk about all that bullshyt, I fukk with Wu regardless, always defended them when people talking that shyt now. I just feel Bone have certainly done enough to get some respect too.