Captain America: Civil War (Official Thread)

BlaKcMoney

Hijo Del Ray
Daps
:dwillhuh:

Falcon and War Machine aren't A tier characters. If you want to get technical Ironman ain't even an A tier character. It would be like asking why Happy Hogan is just a goofy side kick instead of in the spotlight. Or hell, Antman for that matter.

Nick Fury went rogue in "The Winter Soldier" so not sure what you're talking about. Fury also killed Alexander Pierce in that movie, who was the head of SHIELD so :what:

And I'm :dead: at people having a problem with BP not killing Zemo, when Zemo wanted to die.

Not trying to discredit your opinion but not everything on this site needs the TLR treatment. Like the pics of BP's body guard with her white boy friend. shyt has nothing to do with anything related to the movie.

Fred.

like i said, i just started watching so it was a surface level observation and i may not be 100% on point but i'm certain there is merit to my analysis. Not making it a big race issue, but im black so i notice these things. You're white so i don't expect you to have the same filter as me on what you're watching. I could easily go start pulling other movies up to make my point because racism is always involved when it comes to movie casting.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
like i said, i just started watching so it was a surface level observation and i may not be 100% on point but i'm certain there is merit to my analysis. Not making it a big race issue, but im black so i notice these things. You're white so i don't expect you to have the same filter as me on what you're watching. I could easily go start pulling other movies up to make my point because racism is always involved when it comes to movie casting.

Yes I am white but I grew up exclusively around black people. So I have a vested interest in how black people are portrayed in media. It reflects negatively on the people I've known 30+ years, who I'm closer to than my actual family

I don't mind this kind of discourse in my sub-forum but we just had a race bait thread yesterday more or less calling Black Panther a sell out.

So forgive me if I'm misreading your post. :manny:
Anyway, like I said your entitled to your opinion but some of your points are :dwillhuh: totally independent of race.

I don't know how any one can say Nick Fury fights to maintain the white power structure when there was an entire movie ("The Winter Soldier") about him rebelling against it and it ended with him killing the white man (Pierce) that ran it. That part of your post in particular was a head scratcher.

Fred.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
never was into the comic books or their movies but this movie made me go back and watch iron man 3, captain america: winter soldiers, thor and avengers age of ultron

:ehh:

im kind of hooked now.

one thing i notice in these marvel movies is that the main black characters(in the movie not books) play "PROTECTOR" roles for white people and their system. Falcon and War Machine, are not leaders but followers and protectors no matter the situation. Samuel Jackson is the protector of their quasi secret society, he defends the white power structure at all costs and makes sure that everyone is in line with the "agenda". I also noticed that when they fight, the black man never outright defeats and kills his white opponent. Even the black panther, he finally catches the agent who killed his father and all of a sudden he doesn't have the heart to kill the white man :francis:

I'm not mad @ it because I already know how hollywood is. Can't wait til birth of a nation comes out :youngsabo:

I agree with everything in bold. I don't think the Marvel base could really handle an entire black or non-white MCU, and the way non-white characters are positioned are very strategic. Black panther is an exception and there will always be those, but they couldn't make an entire universe with superheroes like him because the audience would reject it. That's why I really encourage people who like comic books to start supporting these new independent artists and writers who are attempting to create new universes that don't revolve around white protagonists and power structures. I'm really excited about this one in particular:

In regards to what you said about BP though, I think you misread what happened in that scene with him and Zemo, watch it again listen to what he says.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
Saw the movie on Friday night with the fam. All of us thoroughly enjoyed it. There were a few tidbit of moments where I was feeling just every silghtly underwhelmed tbh, but looking back at it all, I still gave the movie a 9/10. I think the hype was just at an all time high tho, but it mostly delivered IMO. I'm already itching to rewatch again in theaters and definitely will do so by the time my moms is out here this weekend. The whole fam wants to see it again actually.

Breh a lot of old heads don't want to admit it....and I am in fact an old head....but a gang of kids his age don't give a fukk about the original trilogy beyond a passing interest. Or old movies in general.

Fred.

I'm an old head and I never gave a fukk about them, lol.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
:dwillhuh:

Falcon and War Machine aren't A tier characters. If you want to get technical Ironman ain't even an A tier character. It would be like asking why Happy Hogan is just a goofy side kick instead of in the spotlight. Or hell, Antman for that matter.

Nick Fury went rogue in "The Winter Soldier" so not sure what you're talking about. Fury also killed Alexander Pierce in that movie, who was the head of SHIELD so :what:

And I'm :dead: at people having a problem with BP not killing Zemo, when Zemo wanted to die.

Not trying to discredit your opinion but not everything on this site needs the TLR treatment. Like the pics of BP's body guard with her white boy friend. shyt has nothing to do with anything related to the movie.

Fred.

I can't speak for the poster you're responding to, but for me, seeing Black Panther on screen only underscored how terribly underrepresented black and other non-white superheroes have been up to this point. I love Falcon, War Machine, and even Storm, but you're right, they aren't A-tier characters, but outside of Blade who is really more of an anti-hero, these have been the only superheroes we've had up to this point, and that's what's so problematic.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Let's talk about how such a dirt bag move it is for Cap to actively trying to smash his first love niece. Like really breh of all the bytches in the world you want to smash you first love niece :scust:

It's fukking gross. Always has been. I really wish they had left that for the comics only.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I can't speak for the poster you're responding to, but for me, seeing Black Panther on screen only underscored how terribly underrepresented black and other non-white superheroes have been up to this point. I love Falcon, War Machine, and even Storm, but you're right, they aren't A-tier characters, but outside of Blade who is really more of an anti-hero, these have been the only superheroes we've had up to this point, and that's what's so problematic.

I don't think anybody in their right minds would argue that black people (and minorities in general) aren't severely under represented in movies but this site has whole sub-sections full of race baiting and some people (not the guy I was talking to, or you) are using these threads to spread it.

Fred.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
I don't think anybody in their right minds would argue that black people (and minorities in general) aren't severely under represented in movies but this site has whole sub-sections full of race baiting and some people (not the guy I was talking to, or you) are using these threads to spread it.

Fred.
Yea yall theres no place in a 150 plus page thread to talk about race in films in a way that hexagram doesnt like. :mjlol:

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Movie as a whole didn't wow me. Which is weird because it has a lot of wow moments. Zemo was a huge letdown, he started like he had big plans and his big plan was hoping the avengers would fight each other. That's a huge gamble. Would have been better off pulling a loki and upsetting the Hulk. Movie didn't do a great job of conveying emotions, they just used them to get through scenes. The fight at the airport was great there was nothing behind it to make me care for one side more than the other. Didn't feel like a captain America movie since he had to share time with all those people. They should have just called this the avengers
Yea they really should have let Captain rock in his own movie with his own villain. They did not need to make this an avengers movie to sell the film. And really the whole point of the movie is to setup another movie where they can spend an hour of the film resolving their issues and coming back together. Its a cop out to me.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Yea yall theres no place in a 150 plus page thread to talk about race in films in a way that hexagram doesnt like. :mjlol:

People aren't going to turn The Film Room into TLR. It's never going to happen.

People can go make "Black Panther is a sellout" threads in TLR all they want, though. :manny:

Fred.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
People aren't going to turn The Film Room into TLR. It's never going to happen.

People can go make "Black Panther is a sellout" threads in TLR all they want, though. :manny:

Fred.
Uh huh. Because a few posts in a 150 page thread with a shyt ton of free posts about nothing is going to make that happen. Just stop. We see you.

Basically you're saying there are to many white people in the film room to even make a few posts about race in films
Keep it ignorant or about the movie. Got it.

Last edited:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
They wasn't trying to kill each other though. They wasn't even really trying to hurt each other.

Fred.

Right. What cats seem to not even think about with that, cuz being reality, in most situations, it'd be pretty easy for Ironman and War Machine to just fight from a distance to easily merk the likes of Cap/Bucky and damn near Cap's whole squad. Thing is, most of their non-lethal methods would be hella unreliable or wouldn't do shyt from a distance, so they have to get in close in order to subdue them, which works a lot more in their favor.

I remember someone in either this thread or the spoiler one was perturbed at Cap being able to easily grab a hold of Stark mid flight, whereas he had to muster all his strength to just barely keep Bucky in the chopper from taking off. Folks not realizing the obvious weight difference between a damn helicopter vs. a man in a metal suit. Ironman may be at most 600 lbs in the suit (but I'm willing to bet it's closer to half that), whereas a chopper is what, a ton? Plus, not like Ironman was at Mach 5 or anything, he was just starting to try to take off and Cap dismantled his boot in seconds to prevent him from going full speed in the first place and they were in a very confined area.