can someone explain to me why fubu flopped?

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
I was thinking its just over saturation, and Fubu was just gaudy. Platinnum Fubu really killed it with the Fat Albert. Like yea it introduced it to kids who didnt grow up watching it but it was overdone. Roca-wear & Pelle Pelle... i mean things just go out of style. Like i didnt know when Coogi came back, it went out of style just as fast.

Midrash

All Star
Daps
I tried bringing Rockawear back too and I'm a fashionable nikka. Nope, I couldn't even do it. :mjcry: Only Jesus can make FUBU rise from the dead. That clothing line is straight :flabbynsick: & :deadrose: status. The son of God is the only one with enough power to make the impossible happen.

KingsOfKings

๐•„๐•’๐••๐•๐•š๐•“ ๐•š๐•ค ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐”พ๐• ๐•’๐•ฅ
Daps

zayk35

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Escondido California
Once you could find it everywhere it was over. In 1998 I was still brand new to California and having disposable money in my pocket as a young marine I wanted to dress fresh. But all the stores had the same things everywhere. So all the Marines would have all the same fits. I didn't like that, and all the fresh new hip hop clothing lines were kinda exclusive and hard to find. Then I stumbled upon a store wayyy up in the San Diego North County fair mall that had it all. Fubu, Phat Farm, Wu-Wear, etc. Most Marines went straight to the Oceanside/ Carlsbad mall on Fridays for the club fit. I would hit NCF on Thursdays and no one knew about it like that so my shyt was extremely rare at the time even my crew would ask where I was copping my fits I was always evasive cause if I told one person then it would get out and then more ppl would be there. The only 2 ppl I told was my guy from Memphis and my brother from another who was from Alabama. They both needed help on how to get fresh anyway so I put them on. Then around mid 99 and early 2000 you could find all those clothing lines pretty much everywhere and everyone was wearing it. But my store up in North County still had the shyt that you couldn't find anywhere else. By then I was back to polo and even Girbaud when it tried to come back out. But yeah it got over saturated and goofy so I stopped wearing the shyt.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Black owned fashion brands went out of style. in favor of designer euro brands
Yup. While FUBU wasn't as strong anymore Phat Farm took it and ran with it for a minute.

Once Pharrell did the whole BAPE and BBC thing, shyt changed.

Kanye took it from there and clothes got enormously tighter (2008-2012 was probably the worst fashion era).

Best thing that came out of this were the fact we got joggers.

Last edited:

Alvin

Superstar
Daps
no one wears urban wear anymore, and clothing brands come and go for black people as we are trendy.

The God Poster

LWO representa
Daps
Reppin
NULL
FUBU was a huge success. Their core style went out of style, but even Platinum FUBU was a success. That whole era of style faded and they sold the brand at the end of the run, rightfully so. Terrible thread by and discussed by many people who were NOT there.
Man Iโ€™m reading the 1st page like is these fools drunk :pachaha:

FUBU didnโ€™t flop they just ran itโ€™s course

prime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The heights
Black owned fashion brands went out of style. in favor of designer euro brands
I can't speak for people older than me but I was 18 back in 2008 when a lot of black brands went out of style it wasn't high end designer brands it was street brands like 10 deep,Lemar &dauley,rocksmith,Alife,leaders 1354,crooks and castle and skater brands like diamond supply and DGK and you hood niqqas rocking stall and dean,ed Hardy,black label etc honestly a lot of the black brands wasn't adapting to what was hot and fashion wasn't the same as the early and mid 2000s when all black teenagers and young adults was dressing the same fashion was changing in the late 2000s :yeshrug:

Last edited:

Tim2520

Staying Alive
Daps
Reppin
Nyc
FUBU was a huge success. Their core style went out of style, but even Platinum FUBU was a success. That whole era of style faded and they sold the brand at the end of the run, rightfully so. Terrible thread by and discussed by many people who were NOT there.
:why:Read the thread title, and the comments on the first page like wtf. FUBU had a nice run, just their time was over.

Daps
I used to love FUBU, wearing the big ass 05 Jerseys wit the baggy jeans and timbs. Like others have said, FUBU was a big success that just ran it's course. Most nikkas I knew back then owned FUBU clothing.