Cam'ron: Nas LOVES hip hop. Jay is an opportunist. There's a difference

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Just because someone loves something doesn't necessarily mean they aren't an opportunist. Loving Hip Hop doesn't mean that it didn't provide opportunities for someone and they took advantage of those opportunities and made the most of them. So the opportunist is still therefore a lover of the artform.
Like I said before. Noone who listens to Nas and pays attention to his moves can dispute his love for Hip Hop bleeds thru. I happen to have had a window into some of the background shyt he does for some of these OGs. Not when something tragic happens. Just on some straight up love shyt. shyt Ra went from type being jealous and hating on Nas to loving this nikka. Like I said. Look at Aries Spears describe his interactions with Nas vs Jay and the difference is clear. The argument ain't about Jay not loving Hip Hop. It's about Nas loving Hip Hop more than Jay. Which Jay has readily admitted. Jay spent half his career acting like he's too cool to be labeled a rapper.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Why's Jay Z the only one getting criticism for doing nothing for the 50th though? What did Cole, Kendrick, Drake, Future, 3 Stacks, 50, Kanye etc do to celebrate it?
This is valid. I don't really look at Cole, Kendrick and Drake tho cause they a different generation. But the rest. shyt Kanye is an ultimate narcissist with BPD. I coulda sworn 50 was around tho. 3 Stacks definitely don't respect or love Hip hop and nobody can tell me different.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Why just jay though

no smoke for kanye

hammer

q-tip

so many others
Kanye is a bozo and not considered Goat level

Hammer said don't try to be friends now after shytting on him (I agree with Hammer)

Tip did concerts last year

Jay is a self proclaimed GOAT of rap and to not do zilch last year? Again, no one said he had to tour or anything. Sponsor a shoq. Do a TV special or documentary on Hip Hop at 50. Show up to a show in the audience. Something to acknowledge what put you in a position to be where you are today. Loves the money way more than the art. He's not alone in that thinking of course, but you supposed to be a Mt Rushmore type nikka in hip hop history. Again, just real disappointing, but not really surprising. He's said forever that it's about the money. Can't fault him because He wasn't lying.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Everybody with a functioning brain whose listened to more than 2 minutes of both of them accepts this truth as self evident.

Jay wanted to retire after his first album. Actually DID retire after his 8th. And came back mostly because he missed the limelight and there was $150 Million on the table for him with Live Nation.

Nas has stated he’ll be rapping until he’s 80. He put out SIX ALBUMS in three years and is about to put out another one before year’s end.

Jay-Z is a businessman who raps.

Nas is a rapper who does business.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Money for a funeral versus money just for being a hip hop legend and trying to set up pensions for Hip hop artists is 2 different things. Noone said Jay doesn't love hip hop. He said Jay doesn't love hip hop more than Nas. It's different. And it's clear to see. Cam literally said Jay loves hip hop but the focus and love he has for it isn't the same as Nas'. Which one talks about hip hop history more? Which one sprinkles hip hop stories all thru his music more? Which one did a hip hop podcast? Which one set up shyt for Ralph McDaniels? Which one is trying to create a hip hop Broadway show based on Beat Street? Who's the one who made an album called Hip Hop is Dead with concepts songs about Where Are They Now? Jay made Star Is Born and just ended up bigging up himself at the end. Lol. I mean come on bruh. Jay has admitted himself his focus always been different. "I'm not a rapper, I'm just a hustler who happens to rap". HE'S the one who popularized that mentality in the first place. Can't get mad when people state that fact.

There are multiple stories of Jay helping hip hop icons before death breh...

While I agree Jay has always cast himself as a hustler who raps, I never got the impression he loves hip hop more or less than any of his peers. Roc Nation alone is an example of that, with the leverage they provide for rap artists in an industry designed to deny it. Not to mention the Def Jam presidency days when he was personally stepping in to get samples cleared for rap artists and other shyt that label heads never do for rappers.

In terms of raps...we all agree Nas is a far more nostalgic writer than Jay, I'm not going to mark down Jay because he doesn't mention as much rap history. Not that he's devoid of it obvious (first the Fat Boys break up...). I just see no point in another Jay/Nas competition on the forum, and certainly not one instigated by Camron of all people.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Everybody with a functioning brain whose listened to more than 2 minutes of both of them accepts this truth as self evident.

Jay wanted to retire after his first album. Actually DID retire after his 8th. And came back mostly because he missed the limelight and there was $150 Million on the table for him with Live Nation.

Nas has stated he’ll be rapping until he’s 80. He put out SIX ALBUMS in three years and is about to put out another one before year’s end.

Jay-Z is a businessman who raps.

Nas is a rapper who does business.
It's why many of the old heads love Nas. He's a rapper's rapper. And truly does love the artform and culture to the fullest.

It just would have been really dope for Jay to do something last year knowing the importance. But again, not really surprised. If a dude tells you who he is, don't get mad at him for being real about it.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
love jigga but he's an INTJ and if you know anything about INTJ there was a reason he didn't do anything HH50-related. It wasn't business, it was personal. That's the only thing I will disagree with what Cam said.

Ether still burning slow.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
There are multiple stories of Jay helping hip hop icons before death breh...

While I agree Jay has always cast himself as a hustler who raps, I never got the impression he loves hip hop more or less than any of his peers. Roc Nation alone is an example of that, with the leverage they provide for rap artists in an industry designed to deny it. Not to mention the Def Jam presidency days when he was personally stepping in to get samples cleared for rap artists and other shyt that label heads never do for rappers.

In terms of raps...we all agree Nas is a far more nostalgic writer than Jay, I'm not going to mark down Jay because he doesn't mention as much rap history. Not that he's devoid of it obvious (first the Fat Boys break up...). I just see no point in another Jay/Nas competition on the forum, and certainly not one instigated by Camron of all people.
It's not a Jay and Nas battle. It's basically calling shyt for what it is. nikkas taking it as disrespect or a knock. This is what Jay chose to portray himself as for majority of his rap career. Actions speak louder than words. That's an expression for a reason. Jay shows what it is based on actions and words.

Rekkapryde

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
love jigga but he's an INTJ and if you know anything about INTJ there was a reason he didn't do anything HH50-related. It wasn't business, it was personal. That's the only thing I will disagree with what Cam said.

Ether still burning slow.

doing that goofy shyt for Tom Brady.

Showing up over the weekend to perform that forced ass pop Empire State of Mind song at the Tony Awards with Alicia Keys.

You can make time for that shyt tho right?

:francis: