Calling it now, these traditional consoles will start winding down by late 2016

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
i love how people think it wont happen

10 years ago this was the best selling cell phone out was a bar nokia and a motorala razr both with wap browsers

these graphics were considered good

gta-san-andreas.jpg

blockbuster wsa still around and kicking

netflix was shipping out dvds and streaming was almost nill to many.

videogame consoles havent even been around fro 50 years, it can be killed off at any time.

hell 10 years ago how many people had a tablet? computers and laptops used to cost thousands and thousands of dollars now you can build a pc that plays top of he line games for cheap, you can buy a top of the line laptop for cheap, you can buy a great tablet for 100 bucks (bought my kindle fire 2 hd for 49 dollars)

i agree wholeheartedly with this thread, things are changing rapidly, it may not be 2016 but a day is coming soon when folks wont justify 500 dollar consoles and 70 dollar games
:rudy:
Breh, people who are buying tablets and phones aren't buying them solely for gaming. Playing games on there are icing on the cake.
Nobody will be buying an Ouya or w/e to play Mass Effect 4. :stopitslime:

Beerus

Banned
Daps
Reppin
PC BRO #LWO
bruh i got add i cant play games on my iphone
only way i play games is on a console
nikka fukk outta here with that bullshyt :what:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
That's right in about a 3 year window. those micro consoles are going to be more powerful than what is inside your xbox one or ps4.
I doubt it. The problem is the core gaming market is probably going to collapse before then. These Android set top console stream boxes cater to a different crowd than the typical poster here when it comes to gaming. They're the type of thing a Wii buyer would want.

Look at what happened to Capcom. They blew their wad on AAA games like Resident Evil 6 and Devil May Cry and both didn't take off and now Capcom is up shyt's creek and going broke.
When Activision puts out that next Call of Duty and people yawn, when Ubisoft puts out the next Assassin's Creed and it flops what's going to replace those games? It used to be Guitar Hero, Rock Band, and Tony Hawk that drove the market and eventually all those games were milked dry. If something big doesn't emerge to replace Call of Duty and the likes the AAA market is probably gonna crater. Most of the Japanese powers have abandoned consoles for mobile outside of a few AAA games.

The AAA climate is unsustainable. If a major AAA studio flops a game or two they're closed down. Look at what happened to Irrational. You have to believe Bioshock Infinite doing less than what Take Two wanted had something to do with that studio closing. All the big names in gaming are running to form indie studios with small teams and making downloadable titles that don't need the power of a PS4 or Xbox One to work. They see where the market is going next.

A lot of us like these large production AAA titles but I'm not really sure how much longer this cycle of game development will continue.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps

10 years ago this was the best selling cell phone out was a bar nokia and a motorala razr both with wap browsers

gta-san-andreas.jpg

videogame consoles havent even been around fro 50 years, it can be killed off at any time.

hell 10 years ago how many people had a tablet? computers and laptops used to cost thousands and thousands of dollars now you can build a pc that plays top of he line games for cheap, you can buy a top of the line laptop for cheap, you can buy a great tablet for 100 bucks (bought my kindle fire 2 hd for 49 dollars)

i agree wholeheartedly with this thread, things are changing rapidly, it may not be 2016 but a day is coming soon when folks wont justify 500 dollar consoles and 70 dollar games
Some people on this forum are stuck in the early to mid 00's...the days of physical media and static hardware is nearly extinct. The business model doesn't work anymore...its time to adapt to what the market wants. A 2 year cycle on cell phones, tablets, laptops and almost anything else is the trend.

Wargames

One Of The Last Real Ones To Do It
Daps
Reppin
New York City
I don't know about 2016 but I think the next stage in consoles will be hardware like Steam and systems will just be small boxes you attach to your TV to stream it

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

gta-san-andreas.jpg

you just said a whole lot of nothing.

try again.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
pc gaming is definitely going to take over consoles by next gen the latest, easily. all you can do is accept it or get out of the way if you're not down, because nothing is gonna stop that.

the key for cell phones to make a major splash and close the gap with consoles is network connection and speed. if cell phones 5 years from now can run games like dota, league of legends, left for dead/borderland type of fps, (j)rpg/mmorpgs such as diablo or warcraft smoothly (which i believe they will because these games dont require much to run) then the battle will no longer be consoles vs pc, but consoles vs cell phones.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Can't agree at all.

Physical medium is still stronger than digital and will be for a while.

People enjoy collecting. The average person is still buying cds and blu rays/dvds.

And by average person I don't mean pc nerds.

The average person ain't been buying CDs for 6 years man.....Itunes is the biggest music retailer in the U.S., and has been since '08.

Fred.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
pc gaming is definitely going to take over consoles by next gen the latest, easily. all you can do is accept it or get out of the way if you're not down, because nothing is gonna stop that.

the key for cell phones to make a major splash and close the gap with consoles is network connection and speed. if cell phones 5 years from now can run games like dota, league of legends, left for dead/borderland type of fps, (j)rpg/mmorpgs such as diablo or warcraft smoothly (which i believe they will because these games dont require much to run) then the battle will no longer be consoles vs pc, but consoles vs cell phones.
:dwillhuh:

stealthbomber

cruising at 30,000
Daps
Reppin
the best coast
i been saying this for like 2 years. this is the last generation of consoles as we know it.

vr, entertainment systems and cellphones are the future

in a sense msft was right about the direction of their system, but they implemented it horribly and were too early

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is the thing though all of you are using music mediums to argue against consoles going away when both systems has and are breaking records. The only thing you guys have to stand on is anecdotal evidence

ORDER_66

Demon Time coming 2024
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
...this argument again really? Didn't we discuss this like a week ago with digital vs. Hard media?

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area

PC gaming is already 100x more popular than console game.. there's nothing to take over..

Console crowd will always have a market cause of sports games and dumbed down FPS games. Just the truth of it :yeshrug:

But we dont need 2016 to be here for us to know cell phone gaming is more popular than console gaming, it already is.

Games like candy crush, fappy bird and shyt. Nintendo Wii shoulda partnered with Zynga studios or whatever they are called

Jone2three45

Supporter
Daps
A steam box I can see crushing buildings, but ain't nobody buying an Android box to play mobile games breh. shyt might fly over in the east but wont make very big noise over here.