Calling it now, these traditional consoles will start winding down by late 2016

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
breh I never said the same games will be developed for phones, I just said that the shift will be towards that...its where the money really is.

You guys are in flat out denial about certain things. The race to zero has begun and you guys are still associating these big AAA titles with a $59.99 price tag.
The Shift. Stop it friend. There will always be a need for AAA titles and we will get enough for a console cycle to be satisfied. We're talking classics, because at the end of the day, its not about how many titles come out, its how many Good titles come out and classic high end gaming will never shift or be phased out. We will Always be fed. ALWAYS, friend.

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
You can count the smartphone games that have made this much money on one hand. And it's still not as much as even average earning AAA games.

How many games outside of the CODs, Halos and GTA making in the hundreds of millions each time they come out though?

And I'm just using candy crush to show the potential there is, you start putting these micro consoles in people's living rooms and all it would take is one new Mario (nostalgia wise) type game to get people on board

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
Who the fukk still goes to buy physical media like that besides gamers in 2014? :russ:

Optical drives in PC's are basically there for just in case purposes, tbh I am probably going to remove optical drives from the next revision of desktops I sell.

I just ordered a SSD and it didn't come with a SATA cable :why:

anyway, I thought about it and realized I could just use the SATA cable from my DVD drive since I never use it anyway :heh:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
There's also more reward.

Angry birds will never make as much money as COD
ONE franchise and I'm not so sure the gap between angry birds and COD is that big.

Those little kids love the stuffed animals and shyt :russ:

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
1 outta how many?....candy crush is the exception, not the rule....
Angry Birds
Candy Crush
Temple Run
LIMBO (done well on mobile)

Hell you can throw flappy bird on there as well.

That's where the major of the focus will be soon...not AAA titles year after year with a few exceptions

The risk is too high for most console projects these days because you have developers thinking they have the formula to take down COD...just like those companies who tried to dethrone WoW and failing miserably.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
How many games outside of the CODs, Halos and GTA making in the hundreds of millions each time they come out though?

And I'm just using candy crush to show the potential there is, you start putting these micro consoles in people's living rooms and all it would take is one new Mario (nostalgia wise) type game to get people on board
Any game that sells over 3 million copies.

But you can't look at the absolute best earning mobile title to try to make a comparison.

If we compare moderately succesful games on both platforms, then AAA gaming is the most lucrative by far.

You literally have a one in a million chance for your iphone game to blow up like candy crush.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
http://www.clevercoding.com/wordpre...-waste-their-money-on-developing-iphone-apps/

This is a couple years old. But it will put things in perspective for y'all

Recent figures show that Apple has paid out over $2 billion to developers so far. Sounds like a huge number right? If you take $2 billion and divide it by the current 366,000+ apps you get $5500 lifetime earnings off an average app. Based on my experience that payout is logarithmic in nature with most apps making much less than top earning apps that make millions of dollars. Just throwing a number out there that is based off of the limited experience that I have but I would guess that the top 2% of apps make 90% of all profit

COD made one billion in 24 hours

Last edited:

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Angry Birds
Candy Crush
Temple Run
LIMBO (done well on mobile)

Hell you can throw flappy bird on there as well.

That's where the major of the focus will be soon...not AAA titles year after year with a few exceptions

The risk is too high for most console projects these days because you have developers thinking they have the formula to take down COD...just like those companies who tried to dethrone WoW and failing miserably.

you named 4 games (flappy bird doesnt count cause it's only popular cause it's not sold anymore)...you know what, i'll include flappy bird...you named 5 outta how many?...that's still the exception not the rule...and even then, 2 outta the 5 are on consoles...and 1, limbo did better one console than phones...so that's 3/4 outta how many?....

only a few AAA titles drop a year now, and they arent the focus of companies on consoles...those are like guaranteed money, they drop, they gonna sell, so companies dont truly focus on them...they focus more on turning a small title into the next AAA....

no, that's not the risk for consoles...you suppose to go at the most popular to try to get that money, so going after cod or wow isnt a problem.....the risk companies face is them thinking big budgets and persistent marketing guarantee AAA status for a game, when that's not the case...the industry fell into the trap of instead of focusing on making good games, they were thinking if they spent enough on the game and marketed the shyt outta it, that it would make people gravitate to that game and make it AAA....but they're learning from their mistakes for the most part...they are making better games but spending less now; and if one catches on, then they throw the big budget on it when making the sequel...

..the best you gonna get is more phone games from companies, but they never gonna kick consoles to the curb....why? cause that AAA money is too strong...hell, the avg console game money is too strong to do that....

newarkhiphop

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
i dont get how they earn so much money on a free app. it must be a lot of idiots out there paying for more lives/boosts

because the average gamer both mobile and console is a casual gamer who speeds a few minutes to maybe 2 hours per day TOPS playing games they are not your internet forum dude spending 7 hrs a day arguing back n forth about frame rates average gamer that who BUYS these games and spends money on the CODS,CANDY CRUSH, GTA, ANGRY BIRDS etc and if you want to get even deeper its parents buying these consoles & games for there kids

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
lol @ liquid pissing off all the console brehs again with this. :laugh:

when you got the N4O and Xbots teaming up, that aint good breh.....

-DMP-

The Prince of All Posters
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LWO/Brady Bunch/#Midnightboyz
Im under the assumption that the traditional 7-10 yr life cycle will be sacrificed after this generation.

Game console tech is the only entertainment tech that doesnt release an upgraded version (not slimmer and quieter, i mean beefed up specs) every 1-2 yrs. That I know of.

It will get to the point where you sign a psn/xblive contract, you get the hard ware subzidised and the price is added in to your monthly cost.

-DMP-