Caitlin Clark making only $76K as a rookie, sparks outrage

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Breh, y’all do the same thing whether it’s a man making this point on the players themselves. I wholeheartedly agree, more PEOPLE need to watch, but it’s stupid to act like in any near term it will be an influx of women lifting the league. Not until we raise girls to value sports will that happen
Ok, we past the point of blaming women for not watching sports.

I'mma watch what I want to watch if its entertaining, I can't make any promises on how much I'll watch of either the wnba and college next season

Koapa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Arlington, Tx.
For the 8 millionth time - WOMEN ARE NOT THE CORE MARKET FOR SPORTS PERIOD. why do you expect women to all of suddenly be the main audience for women's sports when they don’t even watch male sports? I’m not talking casually going to a game or watching cuz their husband is hogging the tv, I’m talking women don’t sit down Thursday night with the intent to tune into the nba on tnt, so why would they be doing so for the wnba. Shut this dumb ass talking point up

Women do watch men professional basketball and football on their own. They hell you talking about.

I know Houston and Dallas very well. There are plenty women who are heavily vested in Mavs, Astros, Rangers, Rockets, Texans, and Cowboys. Hell, you have to see them Saints women fans. Women fully support men professional sports.

More women watch men professional sports than women sports in America. That's not even an argument.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Ok, we past the point of blaming women for not watching sports.

I'mma watch what I want to watch if its entertaining, I can't make any promises on how much I'll watch of either the wnba and college next season
One game at a time :salute:

I watch a lot of mens sports, so I’m trying to do better supporting the women myself

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Women do watch men professional basketball and football on their own. They hell you talking about.

I know Houston and Dallas very well. There are plenty women who are heavily vested in Mavs, Astros, Rangers, Rockets, Texans, and Cowboys. Hell, you have to see them Saints women fans. Women fully support men professional sports.

More women watch men professional sports than women sports in America. That's not even an argument.
That was never the point I was making. We are not a large segment of viewers/supporters, especially if you’re talking women who straight up sit down with the intent to watch games on their own accord. most female fans are still those doing it out of social fandom - bonding with sons/husbands/brothers, etc.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Am I missing something? I thought they were eating off of NIL in college basketball because of the record ratings. Why was everyone in a rush to go to the WNBA? I mean they will get endorsements by being pro, but WNBA ratings haven't been anywhere close to the numbers that womens college basketball were doing.

she got endorsements and NIL money. she definitely a millionaire already. but the WNBA ain't shyt, so they can't pay like that.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
OK, the women who are crying about it need to go out and support the wnba and buy merch.... they won't

my female friend was talking about the sky drafting angel reese and what not, mind u, this person watches EVERY bulls game despite us being :trash: and I was like u gonna support them, and she was like "maybe" :manny:

:laff:

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Anyway…has there ever been a goal number thrown out as to what a rookie deal should reach? Is $150/yr gonna get people to be happy? What’s the benchmark
Ultimately the WNBA players are looking for a better split of the revenue.

The problem is that the WNBA still isn't making money, a better split of a negative is just a negative, so something's gotta give...currently.

The WNBA gets a new media rights deal after this season and they'll likely be in the green for the first time, but then if the players turn around and negotiate for a better split, they may go back in the red. It's a perplexing situation.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Shoulda took that Ice Cube money :mjlol:

Seriously tho 76k is low AF for a professional athlete. Can you even maintain peak physical performance with that amount of money?

She’s fine, i’m sure she will make lots through endorsements, but this means lots of them women living in poverty just to play basketball :huhldup:
sorry, but if u make 75K to play 3 months out the year, that's hardly poverty. especially considering they get per diem for road games, and meals are covered during the season. plus they have every opportunity to get side bread via endorsements.

Koapa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Arlington, Tx.
That was never the point I was making. We are not a large segment of viewers/supporters, especially if you’re talking women who straight up sit down with the intent to watch games on their own accord. most female fans are still those doing it out of social fandom - bonding with sons/husbands/brothers, etc.

I agree with your 2nd sentence but your last sentence is partially true. This ain't the 80s or 90s. There's a nice percent of women that watch pro men sports because they love to. They will sit down without a male or go to a game with their homegirl to watch pro men sports. Were you think the big flux of pro men sports fans came from?? Women. Go check the comments out on house of hoops or any sports social media. Women are engaged.

My main point is women don't engage in women pro sports like they do for men pro sports. However women get interviews and complain about men not watching. Hell the damn women don't watch.

Maybe this upcoming WNBA season will be slightly different. Hopefully.