Breh shows why Chinese cars aren't sold in America. UPDATE: Mexico getting CEVs

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
I have seen some BYDs here, the problem in my country are the pieces, they have to be imported from China so if something breaks you could be out of a car for weeks, not to mention not many mechanics know how to work them.
Sounds like owning a Tesla just 4 years ago. Before and during the pandemic, Many Tesla parts were extremely hard to come by for Tesla repair centers, so if you got into an accident, you could be waiting weeks for a repair. Numerous youtubers documented their bad experiences. Being a youtuber helped in many cases. MKBHD is a great example of Tesla obviously rushing a repair as to not get a ton of negative press, as he documented the accident to his Model S.

Yzak

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Americans think Apple is the best brand for quality, yet Apple products are nearly all made in Chinese factories, owned by a Chinese company (Foxconn). European and American companies have been importing cars, made in Chinese factories for a few years now. Here is the next Chinese made car currently in dealer showrooms.

Wait til fools realize where most of their medicine is manufactured.
:mjlol:

The medicine part is insane. Sourcing raw materials and realizing a good amount of the supply chain is in Asia is crazy and it showed during COVID.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Americans think Apple is the best brand for quality, yet Apple products are nearly all made in Chinese factories, owned by a Chinese company (Foxconn). European and American companies have been importing cars, made in Chinese factories for a few years now. Here is the next Chinese made car currently in dealer showrooms.

Wait til fools realize where most of their medicine is manufactured.
:mjlol:

Man, people have had Chinese-engineered products in their houses, cars, etc. for decades/their whole life and nothing tragic has happened.

Now they want to talk about "quality" :mjlol: :heh:

shyt, to me it looks like they've proven enough. I still got working electronics from the 80's. That's the funny part.

I'm just on the side that will give the best bang for the buck, always have been like that.

Just like posting 3 videos of engines blowing up of the 300k cars they shipped over a single month. Not bad chances to be honest.

Give me a cheap EV and don't block it with bullshyt legislation because Elon is scared.

Last edited:

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Waiting on that 20k Lamborghini pick up.
To put them all out of bitness tho.

Art Barr

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
There are a lot of reasons to be scared about China vehicles

:sadcam:

:huhldup: Yeah I might as well keep saving my leaves for a Model T Ford to stunt on them Coli humans:

model-t-gettyimages-613478586.jpg

bnew

Veteran
Daps
ALISTAIR CHARLTON
GEAR

APR 19, 2024 9:30 AM

This Chinese Luxury Hybrid SUV Combines a Tank, a Bentley, and a Boat​

Meet the tank-turning, 4-ton Yangwang U8 from BYD. It’s the world’s most powerful SUV—and yes, it floats on water.

Overhead view of luxury SUV driving over water

COURTESY OF BYD

What do you get when you cross a Land Rover Defender, a Bentley, and a boat? The answer is the Yangwang U8, an enormous hybrid SUV from the upmarket sub-brand of Chinese electric car giant BYD that can drive on—yes, on, not in—water.

The Land Rover bit is obvious thanks to the U8’s chunky styling, massive scale (at 5.3 meters, it’s as long as the Defender 130), and claimed ability to drive just about anywhere due to four electric motors and clever hydraulic suspension.

The Bentley factor also doesn’t take much explaining, since the U8’s cabin takes a big step up from the plastics and synthetic leathers used in BYD’s lesser cars like the Seal and Atto 3. Here there are acres of napa leather, plush headrests, massage seats with heating and cooling, and open-grain Sapele wood veneer. There’s even a storage cubby beneath the central armrest that can be cooled to –6 degrees Celsius or heated to 50 degrees Celsius (21 to 122 degrees Fahrenheit).

Less Bentley but more BMW is the amount of tech onboard, including three displays spread across the dashboard and two more to entertain rear-seat occupants. The central 12.8-inch OLED touchscreen is curved vertically and flanked by a pair of 23.6-inch displays facing the driver and passenger. There’s 50-watt wireless phone charging and a 22-speaker sound system with support for Dolby Atmos.

• Image may contain Cushion Home Decor Chair Furniture Transportation Vehicle Electronics Mobile Phone and Phone

• Image may contain Transportation Vehicle Car Chair Furniture Car  Interior and Car Seat

• Image may contain Transportation Vehicle Car Car  Interior and Car Seat

1 / 4

COURTESY OF BYD

Works on Water …​

Now for the boat bit. Ready? BYD says the U8 can wade through water up to 1 meter deep—100 millimeters more than a Defender—and then after that, should the wet stuff get deeper, it floats.

You could, of course, argue that any car temporarily becomes a boat when unexpectedly introduced to water, but the Chinese company actually means it.

Instead of promptly ingesting a few gallons, flooding the cabin, and expiring, the U8 calmly shuts down the engine, closes its windows, switches the air conditioning to recirculate, opens the sunroof as an emergency exit, and keeps right on going. There’s no rudder or outboard motor, but BYD says the U8 can sail at 1.8 mph by simply spinning its wheels.

Watch the U8 being tested sailing through watch in boat mode. Be warned, it can only do this for 30 mins.

Boat mode is only intended for use in an emergency, like flash flooding, and BYD says the U8 is designed to do this for just 30 minutes. It isn’t clear what happens on extended voyages.

Drivers/skippers are also urged to take the U8 to a workshop for an inspection after unintentionally (or perhaps intentionally) taking their luxury electrified 3,460-kilogram car/yacht into the water. This might make the U8's bathing abilities sound like an unnecessary feature, but in countries prone to extreme rainfall and flooded roads, building a car capable of floating back to safety isn’t as strange as it sounds.

… and on Mountains​

Back on dry land, the U8 promises to be a seriously capable off-roader. Intelligent drive modes send power and torque to whichever corner needs it, and because there’s an electric motor for each wheel, the U8 can perform a tank-turn, spinning on the spot by turning its left and right sides in opposing directions. On asphalt it’ll create enough friction to buy the Michelin Man a new holiday home, but it’s a smart way of negotiating tight spots while off-roading.

We mentioned earlier how this is a hybrid, but its drivetrain doesn’t work in the conventional sense. While there's a turbocharged, 2-liter petrol engine, it isn’t connected to the wheels. Instead it acts as a range-extending generator and sends its power to the U8’s modest 49-kWh battery pack.

BYD says the U8 will manage 112 miles on electricity alone or 620 miles when the engine gets involved. The four electric motors combine to produce a frankly absurd 1,200 horsepower, making the U8 the world’s most powerful SUV. And BYD says the near 4-ton car accelerates to 0-62 mph in just 3.6 seconds.

• Image may contain Car Transportation Vehicle Suv Adventure and Leisure Activities

• Image may contain Car Suv Transportation Vehicle Adventure and Leisure Activities

• Image may contain Car Transportation Vehicle Nature Outdoors and Scenery

1 / 4

Tech Specced​

The flagship U8 Premium Edition supports fast DC charging up to 110 kW. Now, that doesn’t sound like much in a world of 320-kW Porsches, but the Yangwang’s relatively small battery means charging from 30 to 80 percent takes a claimed 18 minutes. The engine can be used as a vehicle-to-load (VTL) generator, delivering up to 6 kW for charging electricals and powering appliances.

As you’d expect in 2024, the U8 is packed with driver assistance tech, too. Those three taxicab-like bumps on the roof are lidar units for creating real-time 3D scans of the road ahead. There’s also 5-millimeter wave radars, 14 ultrasonic sensors, and 16 cameras. BYD says semiautonomous driving on highways and City Navigation Autopilot will arrive via future over-the-air updates.

The U8 is priced from the equivalent of £120,000 (around $149,000) in China, where it is available right now. Sadly, BYD has not yet committed to selling the car in Europe and the UK, or even to bringing its premium Yangwang brand here. But when you consider European drivers' newfound willingness to try novel car brands, paired with a plush SUV market already offering the BMW iX, Mercedes G-Class, and Range Rover, the thought of U8s tank-turning in tight city streets or wading with confidence through flooded fords either side of the Atlantic doesn’t feel far from reality.

GunRanger

Veteran
Daps
:dead: Manufactured and sold in the homeland of poor quality, low standards, and cut corners but Coli Brehs wanna line up and buy one.

I'm sure that shyt wouldn't pass a safety test in the US.

How many of them would put their wife and kids in one and feel good about it? :sas2:
Brand-2.png

BYD aint your grandfather's Chinese car.:ufdup:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
People ain’t got the money to buy these evs

There are a LOT of Chinese EVs being priced in the $9k to $12k range.

There are a lot of reasons to be scared about China vehicles

:sadcam:

Posting straight up propaganda channels is not exactly a good way to get valid information about EVs.

:dead: Manufactured and sold in the homeland of poor quality, low standards, and cut corners but Coli Brehs wanna line up and buy one.

I'm sure that shyt wouldn't pass a safety test in the US.

How many of them would put their wife and kids in one and feel good about it? :sas2:

There's already millions of them on the roads in Europe, and they're exploring partnerships to have them directly manufactured within factories built in European countries. If they pass US safety tests, then what's the issue? Do you really think they're cutting any more corners than fukking Elon Musk?

Oatmeal

6th Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DNA-LEVEL-C
The medicine part is insane. Sourcing raw materials and realizing a good amount of the supply chain is in Asia is crazy and it showed during COVID.
I got sick from Chinese Amoxicillin several years ago when I had a tooth infection, I went to a supermarket that did free prescriptions for certain medications and was give that mess, i only took 2 days worth my hands were shaking, my skin was itching, had nausea, etc. This was around the time they were finding melamine in Chinese baby formula

I wouldn't mess with any Chinese cars for real because the whole premise is for looks not longevity, they aren't making these cars to last 20 years, these are disposable vehicles with copied tech from other manufacturers. Like others have said, warranty work will be abysmal and they definitely won't stand by any defects or recalls, look at how that mess is handled here by our own manufacturers, you see how bad they can get about stuff but you gonna trust a Chinese company :huhldup:

This is undercover economic warfare for real, people struggling and can't afford stuff so China come in up through Mexico and flood the market and/or use the Volvo brand (Owned by GEELY) to undercut the traditional market players