BREAKING: Black Panther director Ryan Coogler - Banking while Black

R.U.L.E.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Maven/MPire Records
Branch manager/assistant director checking in here:

Teller was in the wrong but I can see why she was shook. Since covid began, all types of shyt has come up that we coach and remind staff as it relates to large withdrawals. Even recently there was a group called the “Felony Lane Gang” that would break into cars, steal folks identity then come into the bank to withdraw large amounts of cash posing as the real customer. For example, these nikkas would get ahold of (using an example) Ryan’s ID, somehow generate physical ID that has Ryan’s information (probably paid off someone working at DMV) on it including drivers ID number but REPLACED Ryan’s picture with their own picture. See link just to see I ain’t making this shyt up. nikkas came away with 1.5 milly Capital Region men part of Felony Lane Gang indictment

We actually caught one of the criminals by doing something similar to what this teller did: told him we was preparing the cash etc until police arrived.

Also the classic “I did this shjt before and it was never a problem” :stopitslime:policies and procedures just never change breh? Also most bank tellers are too shook to follow policy and procedure due to fear of the customers reaction so they go to multiple places and then finally that one branch attempts to follow the procedure and customers blow up and get tight.

also the portion she mentions asking him questions, legally we have to report any transaction over 10,000 involving cash so if Ryan kept saying “look at the note” while she’s trying to obtain his occupation, and purpose of the withdrawal, I can see why she got shook.

https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/shared/CTRPamphlet.pdf

Why is my financial institution asking me for identification and personal information?
Federal law requires financial institutions to report currency (cash or coin) transactions over $10,000 conducted by, or on behalf of, one person, as well as multiple currency transactions that aggregate to be over $10,000 in a single day. These transactions are reported on Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs). The federal law requiring these reports was passed to safeguard the financial industry from threats posed by money laundering and other financial crime. To comply with this law, financial institutions must obtain personal identification information about the individual conducting the transaction such as a Social Security number as well as a driver’s license or other government issued document. This requirement applies whether the individual conducting the transaction has an account relationship with the institution or not.
There is no general prohibition against handling large amounts of currency and the filing of a CTR is required regardless of the reasons for the currency transaction. The financial institution collects this information in a manner consistent with a customer’s right to financial privacy.

With all that being said, calling the cops prolly wasn’t necessary unless she had reason to believe he wasn’t the real Ryan which she clearly states she didn’t even attempt to ID him. UNLESS that particular branch or area was put on high alert for fraudulent large withdrawal attempts similar to what I experienced with the felony lane gang

Edit: one last comment: to the breh that mentioned “12,000 isn’t a lot of money” banks (primarily credit unions) all have limits on the cash on hand they can carry. I kno it sounds crazy to think you can’t go into a bank and take your own money but that’s the reality. Branches have limits and can only keep a certain amount of cash on hand based on their ‘assigned’ target. Anytime someone wants
More than 3k we advise folks to call ahead so we can have the cash on hand. Unless you ready to get
Mostly 20’s. This is also done for security purposes. Otherwise it sets us up to potentially be robbed if we keep endless
Amounts of cash on hand

R.U.L.E.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Maven/MPire Records
:mjlol:nikka put his debit card in, u could see the balance, u asked for id didnt even look at the id :hhh::hhh::hhh::hhh:

and that’s where the broad fukked up. If she at least said “I tried to verify him but couldn’t tell based on the mask” etc or if she said “I’m nervous due to all the recent identity theft that has happened recently” then I can empathize but she definitely incriminated herself by revealing she didn’t even attempt to ID him.

Megadeus

Superstar
Daps
Branch manager/assistant director checking in here:

Teller was in the wrong but I can see why she was shook. Since covid began, all types of shyt has come up that we coach and remind staff as it relates to large withdrawals. Even recently there was a group called the “Felony Lane Gang” that would break into cars, steal folks identity then come into the bank to withdraw large amounts of cash posing as the real customer. For example, these nikkas would get ahold of (using an example) Ryan’s ID, somehow generate physical ID that has Ryan’s information (probably paid off someone working at DMV) on it including drivers ID number but REPLACED Ryan’s picture with their own picture. See link just to see I ain’t making this shyt up. nikkas came away with 1.5 milly Capital Region men part of Felony Lane Gang indictment

We actually caught one of the criminals by doing something similar to what this teller did: told him we was preparing the cash etc until police arrived.

Also the classic “I did this shjt before and it was never a problem” :stopitslime:policies and procedures just never change breh? Also most bank tellers are too shook to follow policy and procedure due to fear of the customers reaction so they go to multiple places and then finally that one branch attempts to follow the procedure and customers blow up and get tight.

also the portion she mentions asking him questions, legally we have to report any transaction over 10,000 involving cash so if Ryan kept saying “look at the note” while she’s trying to obtain his occupation, and purpose of the withdrawal, I can see why she got shook.

https://www.fincen.gov/sites/default/files/shared/CTRPamphlet.pdf

Why is my financial institution asking me for identification and personal information?
Federal law requires financial institutions to report currency (cash or coin) transactions over $10,000 conducted by, or on behalf of, one person, as well as multiple currency transactions that aggregate to be over $10,000 in a single day. These transactions are reported on Currency Transaction Reports (CTRs). The federal law requiring these reports was passed to safeguard the financial industry from threats posed by money laundering and other financial crime. To comply with this law, financial institutions must obtain personal identification information about the individual conducting the transaction such as a Social Security number as well as a driver’s license or other government issued document. This requirement applies whether the individual conducting the transaction has an account relationship with the institution or not.
There is no general prohibition against handling large amounts of currency and the filing of a CTR is required regardless of the reasons for the currency transaction. The financial institution collects this information in a manner consistent with a customer’s right to financial privacy.

With all that being said, calling the cops prolly wasn’t necessary unless she had reason to believe he wasn’t the real Ryan which she clearly states she didn’t even attempt to ID him. UNLESS that particular branch or area was put on high alert for fraudulent large withdrawal attempts similar to what I experienced with the felony lane gang

Edit: one last comment: to the breh that mentioned “12,000 isn’t a lot of money” banks (primarily credit unions) all have limits on the cash on hand they can carry. I kno it sounds crazy to think you can’t go into a bank and take your own money but that’s the reality. Branches have limits and can only keep a certain amount of cash on hand based on their ‘assigned’ target. Anytime someone wants
More than 3k we advise folks to call ahead so we can have the cash on hand. Unless you ready to get
Mostly 20’s. This is also done for security purposes. Otherwise it sets us up to potentially be robbed if we keep endless
Amounts of cash on hand

:camby:Bank already admitted it was all their fault and they 100% fxcked everything up.

its up to the bank to make sure that there is a safe protocol in place and that tellers dont just get "Shook" and potentially get customers killed, especially when they have posed zero immediate threat whatsoever.

if she simply followed protocol (which neither she nor the manager did), none of this happens. Period. Doesnt matter about no bank robbery gang or whatever the fxck. Has NOTHING to do with him nor should it. No excuse for any of this bullshyt.

Last edited:

R.U.L.E.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Maven/MPire Records
that "good job officer" pissed me off

:camby:Bank already admitted it was all their fault and they 100% fxcked everything up.

its up to the bank to make sure that there is a safe protocol in place and that tellers dont just get "Shook" and potentially get customers killed, especially when they have posed zero immediate threat whatsoever.

if she simply followed protocol (which neither she nor the manager did), none of this happens. Period. Doesnt matter about no bank robbery gang or whatever the fxck. Has NOTHING to do with him nor should it. No excuse for any of this bullshyt.

I never said she wasn’t at fault. I said that from jump. What I did say is I can see why she could have been shook.

The folks that mentioned working in this environment are the only folks that can relate cuz it’s weird. I bet if we had access to her performance tracker she’s had numerous corrective conversations about failure to ask questions, withdrawing bread from the wrong accounts, giving cash to the wrong customers etc. which is why she mentioned going to her manager in the first place. That’s not even some shyt a manager really needs to be involved in.

speaking of which, he/she clearly didn’t get all the facts either if he told her to just call the cops.

I only posted to clear up some of the assumptions bout banks sitting on endless amounts of cash and offer perspective from their end how they are reminded everyday “if this happens to you, and you don’t do your part, you’re fired” :yeshrug:

R.U.L.E.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Maven/MPire Records
I don’t understand why this is hard for people to understand? If I’m withdrawing more than 5k, I let them know In advance to avoid all the rigmarole.

cuz most folks have the mentality “it’s my money I can get it when WANT.” Reality is banks all have cash limitations. It ain’t like what you see on TV with them big ass vaults holding gold with Uncle Scrooge swimming aroun

as I said in the other thread, teller was wrong but there’s a lotta shyt folks don’t understand from the banking side.

R.U.L.E.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Maven/MPire Records
The stuff that gets flagged is when you go out of your way to avoid the 10k paperwork. Say you go to multiple banks in a day and make 9k in transactions at each. Or go a few days in a row and stay just under the 10k reporting threshold etc. all a 12k withdrawal would do otherwise is just generate a CTR and be reported

just a heads up CTR’s aren’t automatically reported. Any deposit or withdrawal over 10,000 the teller is required by law to obtain your occupation, and purpose of the withdrawal or source of the deposit. For occupation, it can’t just be “business owner” or “retired”. We have to know “owner of retail clothing store business” or “retired accountant.” Most tellers don’t ask because folks react and get upset “why you asking me these questions it’s none of your business.”

The irony is that when you don’t tell us, we then file an SAR (suspicious activity report).