Boogie makes Kings remove Chinese New Year"Year of the Monkey" shirts because of Black History Month

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
So can somebody find the shirts the kings used for Chinese New Year in 2015? 2014? 2013?

Cause if not...then...:mjpls:

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I heard this story at first I was :what:

But after reading more about it and thinking about it some more I salute the fukk outta Boogie for this :salute:

Even if the intent was not to disrespect, the history of "monkey" and derogatory stereotypes associated with blacks is enough to warrant a response from someone who is well aware of the history that image carries as it pertains to blacks in this country. I salute him for making them pull the shirts....whether misplaced or not, he felt some type of way and had every right to
Context matters. I could buy this if this was a random gimmick the marketing team came up with....but this a long established tradition that has absolutely nothing to do with black people. You can't dismiss that.

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Weren't people complaining that players weren't conscious enough and wouldn't speak up on certain things? Even if this might be a slight overreaction to some people, we all know the racist symbolism behind monkeys. And pointing that out doesn't make someone a "mental midget".

Exactly, no one said he was crying or throwing a fit. He saw the shirts, and said nah. Not a good look.

HOW MANY TIMES, have we said "There's nobody black at these companies?" whenever they do some fukk shyt without thinking. Even if it's just, "listen, people gonna look at us crazy if where wearing monkey shirts DURING THE BEGINNING BLACK HISTORY MONTH, y'all don't want those problems." Probably saved a PR nightmare for the Kings organization.

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
damn are these black people that are so mad boogie doesnt want this bullshyt on the seats to kick off bhm? like how could you be really mad i would expect a shrug at most its disheartening seeing blacks throw their weight around and other blacks mad about it? whats the worst message we could be sending that they are sensitive given the recent history of this country or even league???

meanwhile kanye has to apologize for saying blacks dont have the connections and wealth the jews have? how could that be an insult? you just gotta watch how people portray you and everyone knows the nba is a black show marketed to everyone else why not at least make them show some tact
The only think ye has to apologize for is giving us incredibly shytty music on his last couple of albums. I don't see why he should have to apologize for anything else.

I'm surprised the coli is still with him seeing as he married into an "evil cac family" y'all some hypocritical mutherfukkers

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:what:

The Year of the Monkey is for the Chinese, it has NOTHING to do with black people. What is he standing up to? His own ignorance?

You gotta get some fukkin perspective breh, everything you say you make it race related

Thread should have ended right after this post. This is what you call being conscious to the point of paranoia

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
It was for Chinese New Year. How was it in poor taste?

If anything they woulda waited til the 8th to do it but they're on the road for a long ass time.

The intent doesn't matter. If people used rat images ALL the time to make fun of and demean gays, and an organization wanted to celebrate "the year of the rat" during Gay Pride week, someone smart would wisely get up and say, "that's not a good look, we should probably wait." The people making the shirts aren't saying they hate gays, but they're obviously oblivious to the concerns and sensitivities of homosexuals.

It's not different. It could have easily turned into a shyt storm for the Kings when people get on Twitter wondering why Kings players were wearing monkeys on their shirts on the first day of black history. "THERE WAS NOBODY THERE TO LOOK AT THIS AND SAY THIS WAS A BAD IDEA?!?"