Boogie makes Kings remove Chinese New Year"Year of the Monkey" shirts because of Black History Month

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
Weren't people complaining that players weren't conscious enough and wouldn't speak up on certain things? Even if this might be a slight overreaction to some people, we all know the racist symbolism behind monkeys. And pointing that out doesn't make someone a "mental midget".

Exactly breh. He felt some way about it and said something.

I guess y'all are comfortable wearing "Year of the Monkey" T-shirts huh? :sas2:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
We ain't in China. fukk this year of the monkey bullshyt. The Chinese aren't celebrating black history month, so why the fukk are these players supposed to give a damn about Chinese New Year?

:camby:

What you think about Cinco De Mayo being celebrated here in the States? :ld:

horizon

Veteran
Daps
These actions are overtly racist in nature. One star post

The rockets have a monkey hat this year too, dont see no faux-outrage about that shyt. Ignorance perpetuates ignorance
So you only care about overtly racist actions?

Newsflash: racism in 2016 isn't always as in your face as some cac screaming the n-word... it can be as subtle as not getting a call back after a job interview for having an ethnic sounding name, it can be seen in the wage gap, it can be in the lack of representation that we have in the media, the police, or government, educational opportunities, employment, the whole fukking point of institutional racism is that it is more subtle than fukking jim crow

you shouldn't have to be pelted with fukking bananas to point out racist bullshyt when you see it

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
So you only care about overtly racist actions?

Newsflash: racism in 2016 isn't always as in your face as some cac screaming the n-word... it can be as subtle as not getting a call back after a job interview for having an ethnic sounding name, it can be seen in the wage gap, it can be in the lack of representation that we have in the media, the police, or government, educational opportunities, employment, the whole fukking point of institutional racism is that it is more subtle than fukking jim crow

you shouldn't have to be pelted with fukking bananas to point out racist bullshyt when you see it
Stop spinning shyt
The only ppl who think them monkey tees are racist are ignorant ppl, just like those who fuel hatred of others based on their differences

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
QQGdpWH.gif

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
What are you so mad about? You can't dictate to people what they should and shouldn't be offended about. He even said that if they were giving the shirts out on any other day besides the first of February he wouldn't have a problem. Chill out.

I'm mad because of the ignorance displayed by Boogie that somehow gets applauded on this website as somehow being commendable. He was completely in the wrong for having the shirts removed. There is literally nothing you or anybody else can say to justify such stupidity

keepemup

Banned
Daps
I'm mad because of the ignorance displayed by Boogie that somehow gets applauded on this website as somehow being commendable. He was completely in the wrong for having the shirts removed. There is literally nothing you or anybody else can say to justify such stupidity

I didn't think he 'had the shirts removed'. I thought he just raised some questions and from a PR standpoint the Kings decided to remove it (according to 2/2/16 episode of Around the Horn).

I understand from a PR perspective why you wouldn't want to have something misconstrued, but I can't really see this as being offensive.

AVXL

Laughing at you n*ggaz like “ha ha ha”
Daps
Reppin
Of course the ATL
Number one, I'm not white. Number two, how does Boogs speak on behalf of everybody? It's hilarious to me how anyone can correlate the Year of the Monkey to Black History Month. It's a classic and textbook example of just looking for potential things to find offense over.

I'm offended that in 2016 we as black people see "monkey" and automatically think it has something to do with our culture or Black History Month. It's a separate celebration for a different culture, there's literally no correlation between the two

CACarot

Where is Princess Fajita
Daps
Reppin
SSJ God SSJ at -3000
I think this is hell of a stretch and I'm a big cousins fan. He just showcasing his ignorance and how black people have put everything under a racial microscope to the point even the silliest and trivial things are given the same weight as grave social injustices.