Boogie makes Kings remove Chinese New Year"Year of the Monkey" shirts because of Black History Month

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Whose everybody?

Most of us in here think it's a reach.
I'm starting to wonder if even that's a fair assessment.

I'm pretty certain none of the people up in arms in this thread make their bread performing in front of millions, 82 nights a year. Can't pretend I know what that feels like either but I can imagine how that might make you more sensitive to the image you're supposed to represent and it's clear that a lot of people here are too quick to erase the significance of prejudice (implicit or otherwise) that they themselves don't feel the burn of.

The image in its intended cultural context is in no way offensive to black people, but it is naive to think that it exists in only one context at a given time, especially with something so nakedly cross-cultural. And its doubly naive to think that the intent behind such imagery is all that matters.

Yes you can say that it shouldn't matter how racists think (a lot easier to say than to live...) but only a fool imagines that there's mileage in forgetting what they did in the past and continue to do now.

For centuries we have been compared with monkeys as part of efforts to dehumanize us. Cousins recognizes this reality and in this particular instance wasn't prepared to brush it under the rug.

Only a fool imagines that Demarcus saw monkeys on shirts and thought of himself. Only a fool doesn't see how they're essentially denying history and reality by pretending that these comparisons were never made. Only a fool fails to realize that Cousins wasn't acceding to the comparison, but was demanding respect at the one time every year when we're encouraged to consciously remember the disrespect black people have experienced in America - and this in one of the few public avenues where black people actually hold sway.

Nah I can't hate on that. :manny:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I'm starting to wonder if even that's a fair assessment.

I'm pretty certain none of the people up in arms in this thread make their bread performing in front of millions, 82 nights a year. Can't pretend I know what that feels like either but I can imagine how that might make you more sensitive to the image you're supposed to represent and it's clear that a lot of people here are too quick to erase the significance of prejudice (implicit or otherwise) that they themselves don't feel the burn of.

The image in its intended cultural context is in no way offensive to black people, but it is naive to think that it exists in only one context at a given time, especially with something so nakedly cross-cultural. And its doubly naive to think that the intent behind such imagery is all that matters.

Yes you can say that it shouldn't matter how racists think (a lot easier to say than to live...) but only a fool imagines that there's mileage in forgetting what they did in the past and continue to do now.

For centuries we have been compared with monkeys as part of efforts to dehumanize us. Cousins recognizes this reality and in this particular instance wasn't prepared to brush it under the rug.

Only a fool imagines that Demarcus saw monkeys on shirts and thought of himself. Only a fool doesn't see how they're essentially denying history and reality by pretending that these comparisons were never made. Only a fool fails to realize that Cousins wasn't acceding to the comparison, but was demanding respect at the one time every year when we're encouraged to consciously remember the disrespect black people have experienced in America - and this in one of the few public avenues where black people actually hold sway.

Nah I can't hate on that. :manny:
Dog.....I'm not hating on it at all. And I agree that he wanted BHM to get its proper due in light of the amount of blacks prominent in the league.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why nobody bytched last year about these?
2015-Chinese-New-Year-James-Harden-13-Basketball-jersey-New-Material-Rev30-Sheep-dress-high-Quality.jpg

The Kings played 2014-15 preseason games at China

Other teams used chinese new year uniforms last year and nobody said shyt because it was a goat.

2013-14 kings celebrated chinese new year (february)

But now its a mokey so everybody is bytching.

I didn't know Goat, Rooster, Snake, etc were racial slurs against black people :ohhh:

I understand where you are coming from and I don't want the monkey stereotype to have power over me, but I'm just saying its not the same thing as the other 11.

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Just know it wasn't Boogie alone. The OP is by another player who said it was a bad look. I am sure more of the team felt the same. Why do they have to start off black history month with an arena full of white folks wearing shirts with monkeys on them after white folks have called blacks monkeys throughout history? If you don't understand that then you're socially, and historically blind.

Greenstrings

All Star
Daps
Dog.....I'm not hating on it at all. And I agree that he wanted BHM to get its proper due in light of the amount of blacks prominent in the league.
Yeah I realize that, didn't mean to seem like i was coming at you, just your posts were actually what got me thinking about it

HumbertoWCA

Venezuela
Daps
yeah. What is your point?

My point is that the Kings (and others NBA teams) were doing their chinese business last years and nobody was offended untill its year of the monkey and about being at the black history month that new year thing has been always around february... Its just a monkey it has nothing to do with race.. Its not like the monkey is holding a watermelon.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Just know it wasn't Boogie alone. The OP is by another player who said it was a bad look. I am sure more of the team felt the same. Why do they have to start off black history month with an arena full of white folks wearing shirts with monkeys on them after white folks have called blacks monkeys throughout history? If you don't understand that then you're socially, and historically blind.
Most of the fools yelling "It's Chinese New Year" expect the dumb black people to get over their own insecurities and wear the damn monkey shirt! " are just completely dismissing the feeling of the black players. This is an obvious effect of white supremacy and how people perceive the black race in America.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My point is that the Kings (and others NBA teams) were doing their chinese business last years and nobody was offended untill its year of the monkey and about being at the black history month that new year thing has been always around february... Its just a monkey it has nothing to do with race.. Its not like the monkey is holding a watermelon.
You're very simple minded and myopic. Read more history before you assume you know what every bodies intentions are.

///Vega+++

All Star
Daps
the (un)/intentional humor in this thread is off the charts
oh boy can't wait for the year of the moon-monkey

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Well the right answer for him may come back around to sting him when he wants to continue his career in China some day. Because a growing number of NBA stars seem to be continuing a game they love overseas.

I'm glad he wants to exercise his power, and agree that if it's not making him happy he should do something about it. That said, it may affect his career down the road at the same time and for that reason there is an element of risk involved.

So Chinese people are gonna be offended that he didn't want monkeys on shirts a whole week before the Chinese New Year ever started... Got it.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
I dont think this was racist or intentional(you never really know with these people tho :mjpls:) but it was most definitely ignorant and insensitive to expect 2 teams full of black players to play a game on the 1st day of BHM with the entire crown(mostly white) wearing shirts with monkeys on them

The more I think about it the more i think it was an intentional troll
"Bu bu bu bu bu it's the Chinese Year of the Monkey" -typical idiot

What if they had them wear full on monkey suits while the crowd throws bananas at them ala European soccer?

:pacspit:

Basaglia

All Star
Daps
Reppin
No
Bless him for fighting for the honor of our people. I hope he enjoyed his "kill a nygga" music later in the evening.

• Dap
Reactions: Rev

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I get it, but I think it was unwarranted considering California's sizable Asian population, NBA's China connection, and the fact that they've had things to celebrate the Chinese New Years before.