Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Has anyone done a 401k roll over before?
Yep, rolled over two old 401k’s to a TD rollover IRA. I enjoy the flexibility and expanded number of investments available but am thinking of putting it back in a 401k because it fukks me if I try to backdoor my IRA into a Roth

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I've done a 401k to IRA before. Just wondering if it was wise to roll it into another 401k. Haven't contributed to a 401k in 3 years.
Do you like the funds and their costs in the new 401k? Then do it, if your old 401k is down this year - like most - then it might help to wait until it recovers. But if consolidation gives you peace of mind, I get it.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Has anyone done a 401k roll over before?
I rolled over my 401k to an ira when I left my old job. Was with same broker but even to another company should be easy. Might have to fill out some paperwork but definitely easy to do and they'll help you out with it.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep, rolled over two old 401k’s to a TD rollover IRA. I enjoy the flexibility and expanded number of investments available but am thinking of putting it back in a 401k because it fukks me if I try to backdoor my IRA into a Roth

Why do u want to put it in a roth?

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Why do u want to put it in a roth?
I don’t qualify to contribute to a Roth and make too much to deduct my IRA contribution. So essentially I’m contributing to a traditional IRA without the tax break up front and will have to pay taxes on the back. But since its post tax dollars I’m putting in, I can backdoor it into a Roth so I can make tax free withdrawals when the time comes. But having pre tax money in my rollover IRA (old 401k’s) creates a situation where they simply look at money in all your IRA’s, see what percent the after tax contributions are, and then you’re on the hook for taxes when you rollover. I avoid taxes if I put my rollover IRA back into a 401k

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don’t qualify to contribute to a Roth and make too much to deduct my IRA contribution. So essentially I’m contributing to a traditional IRA without the tax break up front and will have to pay taxes on the back. But since its post tax dollars I’m putting in, I can backdoor it into a Roth so I can make tax free withdrawals when the time comes. But having pre tax money in my rollover IRA (old 401k’s) creates a situation where they simply look at money in all your IRA’s, see what percent the after tax contributions are, and then you’re on the hook for taxes when you rollover. I avoid taxes if I put my rollover IRA back into a 401k

When do you plan on doing that?

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sold akts yesterday with gains and the shyt keeps going up today. Wtf. Glad I got rid of xspa though. But akts was suppose to be a long hold. Only sold it to put back in when it dropped again like it’s been doing the last month. Appl treating me good right now though.

Renkz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone else tired of these Long investment, m1,401k, crap :camby:
Now back to pennies, I save my position ktov to only go back in at the wrong time :aicmon:
I do wonder if xela is going to take off:whoo:

Question: I should open a vanguard Roth irsa account for etf instead of robinhood because I won't be taxed on gains correct?

Last edited:

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Thankful for SHIP today and hopefully I'll be able to get out of it this week. Got 800 shares to unload and they releasing earnings on Thursday. Already up $110 and set a 15% stop loss. Might drop that down lower tomorrow if it doesn't trigger to 10% just incase there's bad earnings or lots of dumping to take profits. Already made enough so anything now is a bonus. I had a 10% stop loss which triggered on my robinhood account but I only had a measly 17 shares on there. I'm just riding on house money there. Just got that account last year when my friend gave me a free stock which was Groupon, which it were like Berkshire or something. But then I transferred it to SHIP at the end of May. Now I got $5.46 in there to play with. Not gonna invest any money in that account, just use the free stock ride. Let me see what I can find on there. They said I can get fractional shares but I don't know about that. Not tryna get into any huge debts with them or nothing.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Anyone else tired of these Long investment, m1,401k, crap :camby:
Now back to pennies, I save my position ktov to only go back in at the wrong time :aicmon:
I do wonder if xela is going to take off:whoo:

Question: I should open a vanguard Roth irs account because I won't be taxed on gains correct?

Money is money no matter how you make it. We here to help each other grow our portfolios, not criticize how everyone making money. Feel free to discuss whichever stocks you like but lets leave the negativity out.

And yes, open a roth ira definitely recommend it.