Boiler Room: The Official Stock Market Discussion

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
So basically u saying instead of keeping money in a savings account, invest it in these stocks and let it build over the years?

Not necessarily these stocks but top stocks like these.

Savings account will still be necessary but it would be foolish to just save all your money there as opposed to using some of it to invest in these (or similar) stocks and letting it build over time?

I wouldn't ever put all my liquid into stocks because obviously I need to have money that I can just easily access but if you have money that you aren't using why not allow it to make money while you figure out what else u might do with it

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
You can borrow against your account at a rate of 2.5%

What you mean by that? :jbhmm:

exactly cuz no savings account has ever performed better than the stock market over time. most I was getting on my Ally acccount was like 2.2% and most brick and mortar banks paying way way less. and its a set rate unless the rates go down which is whats been happening lately so my Ally account savings rate done dropped. but stocks and specifically funds can go up like 20% in a year compared to lets say 2% if you're lucky in a savings account. of course theres no risk in savings but scared money don't make money.

Nah I feel that, I wrote a song called scared money don’t make money 18 yrs ago :flabbynsick:

So this is slightly different than the index fund, this is just taking money you would have normally saved in a savings account and letting it build on the the stock market over time instead while keeping some sort of savings still? :jbhmm:

I think I understand index funds now, or at least a lot better. I was stuck on the investing a set amount part so when I saw it was basically buying stocks over the years I was :dwillhuh:

This my favorite thread, no bullshytting :wow:

:salute: to all for the advice

Rickdogg44

RIP Charmander RIP Kobe
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
dividend aristocrats are practically fail safe. so when the market crashes it crashes less and you still get the dividend. so i'm tryna say be safe than sorry.
What people's thoughts on my strategy.

Say I make $1,000 on a trade (less than year held). I take 300 and put it in something like $VYM until tax time for capital gains tax :to:

The other $700 :shaq:

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
So basically u saying instead of keeping money in a savings account, invest it in these stocks and let it build over the years?

Not necessarily these stocks but top stocks like these.

Savings account will still be necessary but it would be foolish to just save all your money there as opposed to using some of it to invest in these (or similar) stocks and letting it build over time?

Honestly, most of my liquid is in stocks now. I feel confident enough in AAPL and Tesla to let it sit over there. I have $5000 in my bank, a ton in my 401k, 200 hours of vacation time, and a 6 week severance package if I ever lose my job. With all of that I'm cool with the risk.

What you mean by that? :jbhmm:

Nah I feel that, I wrote a song called scared money don’t make money 18 yrs ago :flabbynsick:

So this is slightly different than the index fund, this is just taking money you would have normally saved in a savings account and letting it build on the the stock market over time instead while keeping some sort of savings still? :jbhmm:

I think I understand index funds now, or at least a lot better. I was stuck on the investing a set amount part so when I saw it was basically buying stocks over the years I was :dwillhuh:

This my favorite thread, no bullshytting :wow:

:salute: to all for the advice

Every other thread on here looks insignificant now ever since I finally decided to peep this thread :wow:

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
I wouldn't ever put all my liquid into stocks because obviously I need to have money that I can just easily access but if you have money that you aren't using why not allow it to make money while you figure out what else u might do with it

Yea that makes sense, that’s what I meant in the last paragraph. A savings will be necessary at all times, it just wouldn’t be wise to save ALL your money in a savings account when some could be accumulating over the years on the stock market.

Kyle C. Barker

Migos VERZUZ Mahalia Jackson
Daps
Another company 401k?

Is what it is. They are growing:yeshrug:

If it's to another 401k I think you have to call your old broker and let them know you want to transfer the money to your new broker.

It's pretty smooth and there are no IRS penalties for doing that.

Same deal if you are transferring it to your IRA account.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If it's to another 401k I think you have to call your old broker and let them know you want to transfer the money to your new broker.

It's pretty smooth and there are no IRS penalties for doing that.

Same deal if you are transferring it to your IRA account.

I've done a 401k to IRA before. Just wondering if it was wise to roll it into another 401k. Haven't contributed to a 401k in 3 years.