Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen movie)

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
didn't realize the exec was Myers until he got mad and I heard the shrek voice.

Music/performances were on point

I was looking like "Is that Mike Myers?"

I think this is one movie that will be hella polarizing, in that you can see both sides. The movie is generic as hell, to the point you have to wonder is every artist's story the same or do they just give them all the same story? HOWEVER, the performances are great. Rami Malek killed that ish. Everyone did their thing. I hella enjoyed it, and I think they did a good job with a basic story that really is about the music.

Who the he owns Queen's music, cause this ish was damn near a musical.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
blame the surviving members of Queen for this trash.
maybe that's why Sacha cohen left the project!?
Man, Sacha Baron Cohen was MADE for this role. Glad he saw clearly. I’m not surprised by the shytty reviews, they got dude from Mr. Robot :scusthov: starring in it.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
blame the surviving members of Queen for this trash.
maybe that's why Sacha cohen left the project!?

Yup, he basically said that on Howard Stern. Brian May told Cohen that he wanted Freddie to die an hour into the movie and the the next hour of the movie to be about Queen after Freddie. With all due respect, nobody wants to see that. Queen are great musicians and all that, but there would be no Queen without Freddie.

Even worse is Cohen at one point had David Fincher attached. We coulda had a Freddie Mercury movie starring Sacha Baron Cohen and directed by David Fincher but gotta settle for this bullshyt instead.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I don't see the positive reactions on how they handled Freddie Mercury's sexuality in the movie. They show literally nothing outside of him occasionally staring at men, and for a guy who was so notoriously deep in the 70s rockstar sex game that's just playing it way too safe. Same with the aids story. Outside of them messing with the timeline so it appears he knew and announced to the band he had aids before the Live Aid performance, it's still treated like an afterthought when the 80s aids scare was serious as hell and dominated his life for years. Reducing that to a 10 minute bit is just insulting.

And I don't think they properly highlighted the band as a whole at all. Yes, they mention often enough that the other members wrote and created some of their most famous songs too and it wasn't just a Freddie solo effort, but outside of that, what does this movie teach you about them? Absolutely nothing. Even with the movie stating it focuses mostly on Freddie Mercury, they still feel like extras and barely proper side characters.

Heelish

#TSC #spooky
Supporter
Daps
You wanted that bozo borat instead? :scusthov:
Yeah man. Not only is he a great actor with his :troll: characters, but he killed it in Sweeney Todd, Hugo, and Les Miserables. :manny:

Last edited:

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
I don't see the positive reactions on how they handled Freddie Mercury's sexuality in the movie. They show literally nothing outside of him occasionally staring at men, and for a guy who was so notoriously deep in the 70s rockstar sex game that's just playing it way too safe. Same with the aids story. Outside of them messing with the timeline so it appears he knew and announced to the band he had aids before the Live Aid performance, it's still treated like an afterthought when the 80s aids scare was serious as hell and dominated his life for years. Reducing that to a 10 minute bit is just insulting.

And I don't think they properly highlighted the band as a whole at all. Yes, they mention often enough that the other members wrote and created some of their most famous songs too and it wasn't just a Freddie solo effort, but outside of that, what does this movie teach you about them? Absolutely nothing. Even with the movie stating it focuses mostly on Freddie Mercury, they still feel like extras and barely proper side characters.

On the flipside, they did compensate by showing their chemistry. Their best scenes are the ones when they're just cutting up together.

Mr. McDowell

The Brotha's Got His Own Money
Daps
Reppin
Jamaica Estates
Movie made a boatload of loot. Don't care about Freddie Mercury's life like that. His music is great, but otherwise, meh.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I got a $4 ticket to see this. The trailers had me, but after reading these reviews...:patrice: