Bloodborne OT [The Old Hunters DLC Out NOW!]

SupaHotIce

All Star
Daps
Somebody knows how to beat the Father guy after he turns into a wolf

Most of the time his first attack will be slow so you can parry him and do a visceral attack. Dont dodge backwards because after his first attack he swings fast and sometimes he jumps at you. Dodge into him and behind him if you want to dodge

Costanza

lord of the idiots
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Jerrys place
Somebody knows how to beat the Father guy after he turns into a wolf

what he is saying works, but i wasnt good at parrying and hitting visceral attacks at that point in the game... so i just ran around that big fountain in the back middle of the level... and then poked him after he did his 4 move combo...

dont worry tho... honestly im almost done the game and he was the hardest boss for me.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Yeah, but only because I didn't upload my save to the online storage
when the Hunter's Dream burns

Started a new game (not New Game+) and did the rest of the trophies
Thanks I'll make a backup.

don't you need to wait til new game plus for one of the weapons too? and one of em is only in the a chalice dungeon?

Also how much harder was NG+ from your first run?[

I;m fighting the nightmare guy right now I think I'm near the end from how the plot's going/spoiler]

Dr.HannibalLecter

Tha Realest
Daps
Thanks I'll make a backup.

don't you need to wait til new game plus for one of the weapons too? and one of em is only in the a chalice dungeon?

Also how much harder was NG+ from your first run?[

I;m fighting the nightmare guy right now I think I'm near the end from how the plot's going/spoiler]

Yes, you get the Burial Blade for defeating the last boss (if you choose the right ending) and the Beast Claw in the Ailing Loran Chalice dungeon, but you don't need to play New Game+, there's nothing new in there. I didn't play New Game+...

Here's a good guide: http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/bloodborne/262970-bloodborne-trophy-guide-roadmap.html

If you want to platinum the game, clean up everything when the Hunter's Dream is burning (including the dungeons), then make the backup save, then play the different endings

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Most of the time his first attack will be slow so you can parry him and do a visceral attack. Dont dodge backwards because after his first attack he swings fast and sometimes he jumps at you. Dodge into him and behind him if you want to dodge

I found a cheesy way to beat the wolf form from youtube. Theres a section in the back near a tower like building where a tree and a statue are right next to each other. When he's a wolf he'll get stuck behind both structures. Charge attack and repeat

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
For anyone wondering what this game is about

The World of Yharnam
Yharnam is a towering, labyrinthine gothic-architectured city, home to both the Healing Church and the Plague. The Church focuses around healing by infusions of blood. Miraculously, blood healing can repair wounds and cure or hinder diseases. Yharnam's whole culture became focused on blood, even to the point of blood-based drinks surpassing alcoholic beverages as the most commonly consumed. Yharnam's populace is apparently viewed as insane or degenerate by the wider world, and the citizens have become extremely distrustful of non-natives as a result.

The Plague
The most common form of the plague appears to be lycanthropy: Humans slowly turning into wolves. Those in the early stages of the plague have lengthened canine teeth, and grow more hair. As they progress, their arms and legs lengthen and the spine hunches over and the face begins to elongate. Eventually they grow fur and their body finishes the change into a full Lycanthrope. Along with the physical transformation comes a mental degradation: At first the victim assumes all people they don't know are hostile and they'll attack on sight. As the alterations progress, the victim becomes more and more savage and hostile, until it can only stand to be around other exactly like it. Sometimes individuals react strangely to the plague; some become unique beasts, and it's rumored that infected Clerics of the Healing Church become great misshapen wolves.

The plague seems to be endemic to Yharnam, requiring periodic hunts for those very far gone. The hunters are both respected and feared: They bring down the worst of the beasts, but are at risk of contamination themselves.
The Healing Church and The Choir
The Healing Church began as an offspring to the Academy teaching, thus their garb is reminiscent of Byrgenwreth student attire. It's point was to worship blood and develop it's healing abilities. Apparently at some point someone brought a vile blood from Byrgenwreth, thus causing a betrayal to Master Willem, this blood became the source of the Plague.

Perhaps the most influential of the organizations, the Healing Church was founded in the wake of the Choir. There were three echelons to the church: black-garbed hunters, white-garbed “doctors,” and the Choir. Though they did not spring from Byrgenwerth directly, they were explorers who found the labyrinth in the wake of that place and discovered the same remnants of the Truth, and used the research done there already to kick off their own research. However, their form of metamorphosis began with Blood Ministrations. In addition, once the church gained enough influence, it shut off all access to the Forbidden Woods (though for fear of the plague of snakes or to restrict anyone else from getting in [principally giving them a monopoly on the Byrgenwerth research], I have no idea).

Blood Ministrations: The art of using blood for healing. It spread fast and hard, and the church used it for everything. The pungent cocktail suggests that it even replaced alcohol in Yharnam for how intoxicating it was. The church rose quickly to incredible prestige for the healing qualities of the blood.

Ashen Blood: Eventually, Old Yharnam was founded (obviously just “Yharnam” at the time), but it was brought low by a strange (the text says “baffling”) illness known as Ashen Blood, which was a worse form of slow/fast poison. The antidote description cites it as being a more severe case, and in the case of Ashen Blood, the antidotes only provided temporary relief. Eventually, the disease (likely spread due to blood ministrations) took over, and those infected turned into beasts. This is why the beasts in Old Yharnam are poisonous, particularly the red-eyed werewolf near the boss, and why the Blood-Starved Beast is coated with poison. After the fall of Old Yharnam, it was closed up, and Central Yharnam was built, along with the Grand Cathedral. This is perhaps the first instance of “hunters” as we know them now being formed.

Black-Garbed Hunters: Though amateur doctors, the black-garbed hunters were an extermination force and a prevention, not a cure. Their goal was to kill those who were infected, turned, and those who may be infected, which made their garb synonymous with fear.

White-Garbed Hunters: Though they were “doctors,” they sought to do the bidding of the Choir, and would apply blood ministrations with the intent of experimentation, rather than healing. Many of the twisted things the church produced were a result of this experimentation. The great giants (with axes and wrecking balls) as well as the grave keepers near them are products of these experiments, and are legendary beasts that would join the church on the hunt.

The Choir: The leaders of the church, The Choir truly believed they could commune with the Great Ones and learn their Truth. They believed they could ascend to the Cosmos (or at least make contact with it, as implied by the gesture), and it came in a sudden and unexpected realization that perhaps while their feet were rooted to the ground, the cosmos was not immeasurably far away, but right above their heads. Together with Ebrietas, they worked tirelessly to understand the Great One’s Truth.

The Orphanage: Children were abducted from the streets of Yharnam and experimented upon, locked away inside this orphanage to become “brilliant minds.” In fact, they became celestial hosts (the big bulbous headed blue guys).One of them even became a Great One (as indicated by the Celestial Emissary boss), or perhaps was already a Great One that guided them. There is quite a hell of a lot of evidence to suggest that Iosefka is either a member of the Choir or the White-Garbed Hunters (didn’t look closely enough at her garb at the time), which is why she believes that transforming victims sent to her is considered “healing them.” However, this does raise implications as to what exactly you are, since you woke up in her clinic.

The Great Ones
The Healing Church has pursued a strange goal for a long, long time. That goal has been hidden from all but the highest of rank among them. To summon or harness the power of the Great Ones, beings not of this world, powerful enough to be seen as gods. They were here, in the labyrinth, long ago. They appear to be much closer than you'd think At Byrgenwerth, men were sent into the labyrinth, and an academy was built to understand the strange discoveries inside, generally called the Truth. It seems the Truth is a terrible thing, slowly breaking the mind of anyone who delves too deeply. Awful things happened at Bygenwerth, and as a result, the church closed off not only the academy, but the entire forest, calling it "forbidden".

Whether or not the Great Ones are gods is entirely academic. The important thing is: They exist. They have an influence on the world. They appear to be ageless, but they can be killed. Their powers are strange things, often involving teleportation or energy or things that the physical world cannot do. Even perceiving the Great Ones properly requires great amounts of Insight--as Master Willem tried to, to his own cost. The strongest of the Great Ones appears to be the Moon Presence, the creator of the Nightmare the Hunter is trapped within. Others are Oedon, Rom, Mergo, Amygdala, Celestial Emissary, Mother Brain, and Ebrietas.

Oedon, who has transcended to the point he doesn't have a physical body but instead is just a voice and influence. He is very powerful and has become sort of "timeless", thus potentially making him the most powerful one, yet the most indirect.

Some items' descriptions tell about Great Ones living in "The Dream" and others living in "The Nightmare" (Which is the case of Amygdala whose function is still to be defined, and Mergo's Wet Nurse). Humans have been able to contact them through the use of Phantasm, little invertebrates found in the Labyrinth.
Pthumeria and the Pthumerians
Pthumeria was an ancient civilization ruled by Queen Yharnam. It was populated by Pthumerians, an ancient race of people who truly understood the Truth of the Great Ones and gained supernatural powers as a result. Queen Yharnam was a medium for the Great Ones, as cited by an item (saying the Choir discovered a medium, though she’s the only likely candidate). Eventually the Pthumerians retreated into a deep labyrinth, with their holy chalices being the only remnants of their ancient rituals to break the seals. Some chalices (such as the ailing Loran chalice) led to other lands, and the Isz Chalice was in particular used in holy communion with the Great Ones.

The Hunter
The Hunter is an outsider to Yharnam, come to get a disease cured through Yharnam's famous Blood Ministration. A doctor treats the Hunter, but only if the Hunter signs a contract to serve the city of Yharnam as a Hunter. As the Hunter goes to sleep on the table, a beast made of blood rises from the floor, but it's driven off by a molotov cocktail thrown by something off-screen. Then the ghoulish little Messengers come out of the floor, and surround the Hunter. The Hunter wakes up in the clinic of the sickroom, and finds a wounded, but still formidable to an unarmed person, lycanthrope in the rooms beyond. And there the journey through the Nightmare begins.

Mowgli

Veteran
Daps
Caryll

Caryll was a member of the Workshop that was able to hear the voice of Oedon, and managed to inscribe his words into runes, which (according to item descriptions) would have made Willem proud because it was power without using blood. While the runes themselves are a singular thing, their descriptions are incredibly varied and moreso tend to tinge the lore here and there with extra information.

The Workshop and the Heretics

In time, a man named Gherman would rise to the task of taking care of the Beast problem. Redesigning his clothes to provide defense against their claws, Gherman also took to creating the Burial Blade, a unique weapon that was made out of Starlite, a metal made from the heavens. He also created the Mercy Blades from the same material, which would later be used by Eileen. Gherman’s work was so admired that his methods and trick weapons would become the basis for all hunter technology in the future. While it doesn’t say specifically, there is a heavy implication that Gherman was hired by the Church of Healing to work in the Workshop, due to his familiarity with it and its location beneath the Healing Church’s cathedral.

Gherman worked in the Workshop presumably until his death. He took many apprentices, who all did his duty in his honor, and may well have died long ago. The bone in the workshop graveyard was one of such apprentices, who had mastered the art of Quickening, allowing his stamina to recover faster and his rolls to function better.

There were others, however. Notably, the Powder Kegs were a group of hunters that tried to make explosive weapons, to varying degrees of success (the Stake Driver, the Rifle Spear, and the Cannon are all such devices). However, due to differences in designs, they were banned from the Workshop, becoming known as Workshop Heretics.

Cainhurst, The Vilebloods, and the Executioners

In Cainhurst Castle, Queen Annalise was a ruler over many nobles and dandies who learned of the Healing Church’s Blood Ministrations. Having little to no scruples, they decided to take their fill of blood where they could find it, and gained a nasty reputation for their habit of hunting down hunters and taking blood dregs, draughts of their blood. Eventually, Annalise became immortal as a result of her vile predations, and an eternal society of vampires was formed in Cainhurst. It was a place of refinement and sophistication, and the occasional beast that arose from the foul practice was dispatched discreetly and with artisanship (as stated in the outfit). Those who served the queen did so out of loyalty, fear, and an unending desire to taste her blood, and settled with various Caryll runes that improved Visceral Attacks as a cheap substitute (as described in the rune’s texts). Queen Annalise hoped desperately one day to bear a true heir, and dubbed this the Child of Blood, which she sought to have at all costs. She sent her Vilebloods to hunt for her, and all hoped that, with enough blood dregs, she could birth a Child of Blood.

However, the Healing Church took these practices as an affront, and Master Logarius founded the Executioners; battle-thirsty zealots looking to kill Vilebloods at all costs. Eventually they stormed Cainhurst, killing everyone so violently their spirits linger on to this day. However, Logarius martyred himself in order to prevent the queen from ever escaping; he sent his Executioners away and sat upon a throne where he could forever keep guard. It is said that only one with the crown of illusions could see the entrance to the queen’s lair, and Logarius donned this crown that none could ever see it.

Eileen the Crow, Hunter of Hunters

In time, hunters needed to receive blood ministrations in order to compete with the beasts they hunted, as a kind of all-or-nothing gamble. However, many hunters would fail, and become obsessed with, infected by, and eventually overcome by the blood, becoming beasts themselves. For this, the Hunter of Hunters did their duty, ending the lives of these madmen with grace and dignity. Eileen’s set says that they were buried in a foreign and respectful way, rather than the vile way of Yharnam (which I assume is cremation on a pyre or cross), and references a sky burial (which is a practice in which a body is dismembered and left out for the carrion birds, such as a crow, to eat). However, there is one interesting note: it says that the hope for the sky burial is that the hunters would find rest and solace in “a hunter’s dream.” This leads me to some fairly open-ended speculation, but I need to start with the Red Moon and the Umbilical Cords.

The Red Moon

The Red Moon is a nightmare. The servants of Amygdala are fully powered, the beasts are more ravenous, and the children of Amygdala are visible. In this nightmare, the world reveals the eldritch abominations it has been truly hiding. As a result, everything gets worse, and the character sees the world as they would if they had amassed 40 insight. Unfortunately, by killing Rom, you usher in the Red Moon, which I believe to be the coming of Oedon. I do not think Oedon is the Moon Presence, but he very well could be. Regardless, this leads to my other point:

The Umbilical Cords

While this presents a weird part of the story, it is a known fact that 75% of the game’s umbilical cords can be found on women or children. During the Red Moon, Iosefka’s dialogue suggests that she has become pregnant, and Arianna gets pregnant as well. You also find a cord from defeating Mergo’s Wet Nurse. To me, this implies that on the Red Moon, Oedon impregnates all able-bodied women not protected by incense or inside. Because the Great Ones always lose a child on the Red Moon (though the reason is not necessarily stated), it seems to be that the Great Ones impregnate women to have surrogate children.

However, this reveals another truth about the game that previously eluded me: the other cord you find is in the Workshop, very near the doll.

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Just finished. Took dude's advice and copied a save to USB before the last fight so I don't have to new game plus to see multiple endings.

Last boss was kind've a fakkit. Got him my third try though.

Time to try and get
the true ending :noah:

KushSkywalker

Walker Lexus Ranger
Daps
Someone in this thread said a plot is nonexistant. :laff:

Souls games actually have A LOT of lore. Bloodborne included. Every single location, character, item, armor, weapon and motivation is explained and can be uncovered if you look. There are so many subtle details and clues to what's going on it's borderline amazing once you start to make sense of it.

It's just not laid out like a modern game would do in the fashion of a movie.

It's actually more interesting this way to me. I mean just look at mowglis post above. All that information is in the game if you look and put 2 and 2 together. :wow:

There's literally NOTHING random in the game. (cept chalice dungeons, but even those bosses have a place in the lore)