Black students in Cali: only 20% pass MATH state test, 33% pass READING test

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
None of this is new or surprising.

The issue is that we've become so numb to the magnitude of our problems, that it
freezes us into inaction and cloutrage/constantly-streamed complaining.

It wasn't always like this.

By now, we should have been able to multiply the 1970s efforts of educators like Marva Collins
by the hundreds, if not thousands.

She didn't wait for "saviors" or "comprehensive societal change by the power structure." She simply used
her mind, her heart, and her personal savings to make a difference.

3O52AGGHDMI6TBKNIBWI6S7HAY.jpg

"Certain of her methods and of the positive impact she could make, Collins withdrew five thousand dollars from her pension, renovated the second floor of her own home, stocked it with secondhand desks and books, and launched the Westside Preparatory School. It began as a one-room, multigrade private school and opened its doors to eighteen students from impoverished families in September 1976.

Observers in Collins’s classroom repeatedly were astonished by the high-level curriculum she developed for students ages three to thirteen. She began each year with essays such as Ralph Waldo Emerson’s “Self-Reliance” and fables such as “The Little Red Hen.” Students soon moved on to poetry, including works by Rudyard Kipling and William Wadsworth Longfellow. In time, they progressed to Plato’s dialogues. By second and third grade, they were reading William Shakespeare’s plays (Macbeth and Hamlet were student favorites) and reciting Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales. With these under their belts, it was not uncommon for students to dive headlong into a seemingly unquenchable reading frenzy. And Collins kept hundreds of books on hand, suggesting just the right one for each student to read next. Each student wrote a report every two weeks about his latest book, presented it to the class, and answered questions raised by the other students. This sparked so much interest in reading that book that students vied to be next on the waiting list."

Marva Collins, Her Method, and Her ‘Philosophy for Living’ - The Objective Standard

RiffRaff

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Houston to LA like I'm Robert Horry.
You want a bunch of people to teach their kids things they weren't taught :dead:

Most important and relevant post in here. I feel very confident that about 90% of these issues can be resolved if it's given a priority at home beginning as infants, but how can we expect parents at mass to do what they never received?

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
I would like to see these type of statistics adjusted for economic situation, seeing how black people on average seem to perform like economically disadvantaged. Is due to black people in this study are on average economically disadvantaged? And if this is the case the actual score isn't interesting.

However, I won't go on a rant about the government and history. We all know about this, what we need to address more is the endogenous culture. What happened with parents pressuring their kids to become engineers, doctors, teachers and lawyers? Why is being book smart not clout? Why do so many people wanna study things that won't position you well in the labor market such as cultural studies, communication, english, literature, history, media (and shyt like that you study if you can do it at the best universities, if you are rich, if you have deep contacts etc.)These type of questions are to me a lot more interesting than affirmative action from Washington. Cultural questions are also among the hardest to find solutions to
It’s a host of reasons. For one, Brown vs. board of education is pretty much obsolete. Our school system is more segregated than ever and even when accounting for socioeconomic status (SES) the gaps still persist.

Also white students in high density blk schools did worse than other students in other schools.
https://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportca...mposition_and_the_bw_achievement_gap_2015.pdf
Those tests are given regardless of the quality of schools.
The question is what is it about blk schools that don’t measure up.

Teacher quality is the largest predictor. Many blk schools are dumping grounds for high numbers of students with disabilities and behavior issues. They have the highest vacancies so that means they get a steady influx of new inexperienced teachers, on top of the other problems like racial bias. And even tho poorer schools are supposed to get more state funding, we actually spend less on poorer blk schools and more funding on rich white schools.

The Data Are Damning: How Race Influences School Funding

Using a broad scope, Mosenkis found what one might expect: On the surface poor districts do receive more state funding than rich schools. But when he delved deeper into the data, sorting by race, what he found was disturbing:
If you color code the districts based on their racial composition you see this very stark breakdown. At any given poverty level, districts that have a higher proportion of white students get substantially higher funding than districts that have more minority students.” That means that no matter how rich or poor the district in question, funding gaps existed solely based on the racial composition of the school. Just the increased presence of minority students actually deflated a district’s funding level. “The ones that have a few more students of color get lower funding than the ones that are 100 percent or 95 percent white,” Mosenkis said.“

How does this play out in schools? It means ur white kid will do fun shyt like taking camping trips to make connections to Ralph Emerson and the transcendentalism movement. While ur blk kids will be told to shut up and read a worksheet b/c they don’t have funding for all that “creative shyt”. And when he is a kid and wants to do more than spend 90 minutes listening to a new teacher that fears him, and wants to learn differently and acts out b/c he is miserable, he will be suspended or expelled.

And all of this will be blamed on his parents who are working close to three jobs. Conservatives will say he never should have been born by that irresponsible blk hoe anyway, while COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that sometimes u don’t have to commit a crime to get shot in our racist society——I mean educational system.

People don’t wanna connect these dots. When I talk about the culture of cowardice, this is the shyt I mean. Blame the victims instead of tearing down the system.

IrateMastermind

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Most important and relevant post in here. I feel very confident that about 90% of these issues can be resolved if it's given a priority at home beginning as infants, but how can we expect parents at mass to do what they never received?

Read.

As soon as I found out my wife was pregnant I started reading. First I taught myself an efficient way of learning. Barbra Oakley has a good book. Then I taught myself to teach better. I’ve always been good at it but I can improve. Then I taught myself patience.

It starts with the head of the household. Pick up any book read it and pass down the lessons.

Benefited

Banned
Daps
We are the foremost leaders in white supremacy,most creative,have the most foresight and intuition.
We instinctively know we are learning bullshyt and are rejecting it,that in itself shows are intuition is ahead of everybody else.
All we need is the proper guidance,once guided towards something that moves us,we no longer have learning issues and thirst knowledge.
Theres different levels of intelligence the average man doesn't know about,its hard being ahead of the curve and not having anywhere to look for direction.I was "smart" as hell because I was easily manipulated and indoctrinated as a child,thats all that means really. But once your intuition kicks in,which mind did. Once puberty hits and you discover your masculine energy, thats when you get the power and strength to reject European assimilation the school system enforces. I chose to take my intellect and use it to manipulate women,figure out how to take shortcuts,how to make measly amounts of easy money. It wasn't until I discovered the "hoteps" and indeginous sciences/spirituality that I got really interested in education. You would probably consider a lion who can jump through hoops "smart",meanwhile it has no knowledge of itself or nature. Black people live in zoo/circus and get judged based on how well we handle living in a zoo. I went from honor roll freshman year,to barely graduating.I sucked at the zoo,my only problem was not knowing I had woke up and quitting the zoo sooner. This falls squarely on black parents for not realizing these kids are woke as fukk now,they just don't realize they are woke. Kids rebelling against European indoctrination are correct,they just are given no alternative outlet,or alternative education.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Every few months ,a different state's results are released....Black students have the worst numbers, and coli members rehash the same excuses. Do y'all dudes believe the bullshyt you write or is this just denial of epic proportions?

If we don't face REALITY and try to address these things, it's gonna be a BAD LOOK for the future.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
So let’s recap:

1.) We spend less money on blk students than we do on white students, even tho blk students are poorer than white ones and our schools are increasingly segregated.

2.) 80% of teachers are white female to blk students.

3.) Racial bias and cultural incongruity from having mostly white female teachers have created a little talked about discipline gap where even tho blk students only represent 14% of students attending U.S. schools, they account for 46% of students suspended and expelled.

4.) The discipline gap widens the achievement gap due to the number of school days blk children miss due to minor behaviors.

5.) Black schools face a number of issues such as high teacher turnover and a lack of quality experienced educators.

6.) But even if blk kids come from good backgrounds and go to white schools the gaps still persist.

7.) A lack of culturally responsive curriculum, classroom management, content and instruction has been correlated with these achievement and discipline gaps.

8.) And instead of addressing that deficit, we disproportionately misidentify our kids as having disabilities, kick them out of schools and/or blame it on the communities they come from even tho studies have demonstrated that even when SES is accounted for only teacher quality can predict likelihood of racial achievement gaps.

The answer is we need to be more involved, locally, politically, economically and personally in our education system. We need culturally responsive curriculum that places blk children at the helm of the content they learn, we need more blk teachers, particularly blk male teachers, we need to be more vocal at school board meetings, local elections, put pressure on superintendents and board members to invest more in blk schools instead of throwing the rock and hiding the hand. Because unless u are damn near homeschooling ur child, there is no excuse for how horrible our public education system has become. But as this slowly becomes a white issue as well b/c those pass rates aren’t stellar for them, nobody will be saying it’s a white culture problem. Only then will people start to look at the system and think...maybe this is fukked up.

Just like drugs. When drugs ravaged our community, it’s us. When it hit whites, it’s a national crisis. This shyt is a national crisis but it’s impact blks the most so of course it’s our fault.:francis:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Culture is the main issue. Plenty of poor immigrants.

The sooner ADOS families care about their children's education, the quicker we'll see these numbers rise.

It can not be culture, because the same culture that those kids are apart of also produced Historic Black Colleges and Universities. Those HBCUs along with producing countless doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountant and engineers, etc.; also produced the first Presidents of the African nations of Nigeria, Ghana and Malawi and countless African and Caribbean students attend those institutions right now. Additionally, if it were cultural then the immigrants would not be performing that well either, because if you look at the literacy rates in the countries where immigrants are coming from; they are basically shyt next to African Americans literacy rates.

So clearly the issue is personal accountability and responsibility. If parents will not take responsibility for their children educations and if the children don't care; then the school systems will not care either. Hell the slaves in the USA cared so much about education that they founded and funded HBCUs. So each person is responsible for their own selves and their children.

Last edited:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All yall falling for the culture bait are missing the point. American students of all races are :flabbynsick: in reading when compared to the rest of the world because 99% of schools don't gaf about the process. They just do it the way it's been done, results and science be damned:

NPR Choice page

First of all the people talking that cultural shyt are not talking about the educational failures in the nations that they left. You bring up those countries failures and you get about 30 pages of

full

In this country the failures are very straight forward. It is about personal responsibility and accountability from parents and students. After that you toss in the usual funding inadequacies and racism and there it is.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Oh yeah I forgot to mention. This shyt starts in PRE-K

Study: Teacher-Student Racial Gap Matters -- Even in Pre-K - Education Writers Association

Researchers are calling it the preschool-to-prison pipeline
New Data Reveal 250 Preschoolers Are Suspended or Expelled Every Day - Center for American Progress

Yale University Professor Walter Gilliam first identified them in his team’s groundbreaking research more than 10 years ago. At that time, it was found that the three best predictors of preschool expulsion were the three B’s: “big, Black or boy.” That is, teachers are more likely to recommend preschool suspension or expulsion when the child is black, a boy, or is physically bigger than their peers. Obviously, this puts black boys in the greatest danger of being excluded from early learning opportunities.

This new CAP analysis of the National Survey of Children’s Health confirms these results. The data show that black children are 2.2 times more likely to be suspended or expelled than other children, and while boys represent 51 percent of the preschool population, they receive 82 percent of the suspensions and expulsions.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I think it would actually be more productive to leverage those interest as a segue into math, science, and tech.

If they want to own a smartphone, make sure you give them an ifixit kit along with it and responsibility for it's maintenance. And if they're really interested in that, then you can introduce them to soldering(if they haven't done so themselves).

If they want to be a gamer, then make them build their own system from it's basic hardware(cpu, ram, HD/SSD, etc etc) and software(have them transfer w/e windows license at first, install the drivers, and then move on to a linux distro) components. Get them into game modding as a segue into programming and development.

The possibilities are endless.

I'd go with CB radio personally(much more basic circuit board setups for beginners), but these are all really good ideas. :ehh:

:salute:

Harry B

Superstar
Daps
It’s a host of reasons. For one, Brown vs. board of education is pretty much obsolete. Our school system is more segregated than ever and even when accounting for socioeconomic status (SES) the gaps still persist.

Also white students in high density blk schools did worse than other students in other schools.
https://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportca...mposition_and_the_bw_achievement_gap_2015.pdf
Those tests are given regardless of the quality of schools.
The question is what is it about blk schools that don’t measure up.

Teacher quality is the largest predictor. Many blk schools are dumping grounds for high numbers of students with disabilities and behavior issues. They have the highest vacancies so that means they get a steady influx of new inexperienced teachers, on top of the other problems like racial bias. And even tho poorer schools are supposed to get more state funding, we actually spend less on poorer blk schools and more funding on rich white schools.

The Data Are Damning: How Race Influences School Funding

Using a broad scope, Mosenkis found what one might expect: On the surface poor districts do receive more state funding than rich schools. But when he delved deeper into the data, sorting by race, what he found was disturbing:
If you color code the districts based on their racial composition you see this very stark breakdown. At any given poverty level, districts that have a higher proportion of white students get substantially higher funding than districts that have more minority students.” That means that no matter how rich or poor the district in question, funding gaps existed solely based on the racial composition of the school. Just the increased presence of minority students actually deflated a district’s funding level. “The ones that have a few more students of color get lower funding than the ones that are 100 percent or 95 percent white,” Mosenkis said.“

How does this play out in schools? It means ur white kid will do fun shyt like taking camping trips to make connections to Ralph Emerson and the transcendentalism movement. While ur blk kids will be told to shut up and read a worksheet b/c they don’t have funding for all that “creative shyt”. And when he is a kid and wants to do more than spend 90 minutes listening to a new teacher that fears him, and wants to learn differently and acts out b/c he is miserable, he will be suspended or expelled.

And all of this will be blamed on his parents who are working close to three jobs. Conservatives will say he never should have been born by that irresponsible blk hoe anyway, while COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that sometimes u don’t have to commit a crime to get shot in our racist society——I mean educational system.

People don’t wanna connect these dots. When I talk about the culture of cowardice, this is the shyt I mean. Blame the victims instead of tearing down the system.
Thanks for the info and I hear you on the poor policy making within this field, but I was not victim blaming. I was saying that given that policy is weak, are there factors that we can address such as the questions I asked. Or is policy making the only thing that can change those. Is there a possibility to improve even with headwind? E.g. how do we create solid family culture, do we need Washington for this? (saw something saying 15% of Asian kids are from single parent household vs 65% of black people). Is this just a higher order derivative of some other policy failure perhaps? To conclude, my point is that there's probably issues we can solve without Washington, endogenously instead of from a macro standpoint. But it's a very hard task to mobilize a cultural movement among millions of people. Just talking outta my ass it probably takes decades or even centuries of small steps, and even harder when you need to break a vicious cycle. A cycles the above mentioned Asians never had to deal with.