Black students in Cali: only 20% pass MATH state test, 33% pass READING test

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
Breh I didn't even study in highschool. Not even once. shyt I barely did the homework, could've easily passed with As:mjlol:. And my Schools was in low income areas. My parents stayed on me, but I barely did the shyt. Y'all dumb boy I swear, but Imma assume y'all do read something beneficial, otherwise nikkas getting left behind.

Whatever interests me I read about, I'mma about to read about religions. I was reading about scientology a few days ago:scust:Did you know there's 4200 religions:ohhh:

This is actual education. Keep it up younging :salute:

Imagine if you had a teacher early on in your academic career that knew how to harness your interests to keep you engaged:jbhmm:

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
Trying to run that "most immigrants are refugees/asylum seekers" lie again.
1280px-AfricanImmigration.png

That number would in the single digits if we only looked at your country of origin.
Most imigrants that come to America are poor.

Again, tell us what are the cultural issues that prevent ADOS communities form excelling academically?

fckyoupayme

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Yo Momma's Front Porch
@Booksnrain is speaking real facts not just giving emotion and opinion on this subject. Most people don’t realize everything at play in the education system. There is nothing new about this report. Across the country there is an opportunity, wealth, race, achievement, etc gap and our children suffer the most

Daps
Breh I didn't even study in highschool. Not even once. shyt I barely did the homework, could've easily passed with As:mjlol:. And my Schools was in low income areas. My parents stayed on me, but I barely did the shyt. Y'all dumb boy I swear, but Imma assume y'all do read something beneficial, otherwise nikkas getting left behind.

Whatever interests me I read about, I'mma about to read about religions. I was reading about scientology a few days ago:scust:Did you know there's 4200 religions:ohhh:

6,000,000 ways to die

Choose one :ehh:

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
The lack of teacher educator training PARTICULARLY in high poverty blk schools is a whole nother issue.

Let me paint a picture for u.
Your average teacher in America is a young white female to blk students.
That equals:
1.) Cultural incongruity and racism which results in blk children being more likely to be targeted for exclusionary discipline which leads to them missing instructional time and being retained. Both factors which contribute to a whole host of other shyt.

2.) If her being a crypto racist isn’t enough, her lack of teaching skills is ANOTHER issue. Majority of teacher preparation programs at major universities in most states do NOT prepare new and pre-service teachers with content knowledge or classroom management skills to handle our nations increasingly diverse classrooms. So that chick barely knows how to do her job. And her first year teaching won’t be with a group of high flyers who might be easier to teach. She will get a job at a school who DESPERATELY needs experienced teachers but will get her at a
3.) Poor, urban school- Where any given class will be comprised of blk and Latino kids, have 15% identified as having disabilities and another 15% who don’t even speak English and she will struggle to teach them all, racist or not. Best case scenario, she makes it to the end of the school year and quits. Worse case, she quits midway thru the year and u get to pay taxpayer dollars for a substitute teacher for a key developmental year of ur child’s learning that was lost.

But wait! There’s more! Those tests don’t take ANY of that into account. The high teacher student/ratios, the lack of experienced teachers, the racial disciplinary gap, high teacher turnover, lack of culturally responsive instruction—all things ur average non-blk student won’t have to deal with b/c our schools are increasingly segregated but those tests don’t discriminate.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.974.3360&rep=rep1&type=pdf

That was back in 1992. It’s even worse now. Sooooooooooooo when people refuse to look at these factors just know these tests scores are waaaaaay more complicated than just “what is wrong with the blk community.”

I gotta find the studies that demonstrated that AA kids actually learn to read better at home and have higher rates but drop by the 2nd year of attendance.

The overwhelming majority of these so-called discipline issues could be solved with classroom management. Things get escalated because a youngin challenges them in way they are ill equipped to handle. They get into power struggles and use the sledge hammer of suspension where a scalpel of simple misdirection would be appropriate.

When you dig deeper, it all comes back to crafting engaging content and lesson plans. Students act out when they are bored & they don't retain material taught statically. The approach to education is flawed from top to bottom.

Supper

All Star
Daps
Most imigrants that come to America are poor.

Again, tell us what are the cultural issues that prevent ADOS communities form excelling academically?

Get your lies together before you try to question my people, when your's can't stop running all over the globe from their failed state.

20150711_usc001.png

Countries in Africa have lost a tremendous amount of their educated and skilled populations as a result of emigration to more developed countries, which has harmed the ability of such nations to get out of poverty. Nigeria, Kenya, and Ethiopia are believed to be the most affected. According to the United Nations Development Programme, Ethiopia lost 75% of its skilled workforce between 1980 and 1991

At least we don't run to the next man's country when things get tough for us here otherwise half our population would've been gone during reconstruction and jim crow.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
How'd you do in college?

I did what I had to in college:lolbron:. While I was pretty smart I definitely wasted potential, but it's not too late.

I'm thinking about going back for my bachelor's but now that I'm older I think I can do way better or do the Air Force, not sure yet.

Berry

Negro Swan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Okaga,CA
@Booksnrain said it all, the system is reinforcing itself.

Proper resources aren’t being given to schools due to how funding has been set up, low teacher wages are causing teachers in lower-income areas to find jobs elsewhere after about two years.

Due to lack of resources schools can not afford school psychologists, and other educational staff to properly monitor and assist students who may need to catch up.

In my local district, aid isn’t administered until the child is 2 levels behind because resources are sparse!

Information given to teachers about effective teaching strategies is outdated, many teachers as booksandrain said are not being taught about systematic phonics instruction. Teachers aren’t being sent out with the knowledge about the best practices.

Cultural capital- as @String Bell said, parents have to work and they may not have the resources or time as a result to being as involved with their child’s learning as middle-upper class parents.

The content that is made standard for any level is highly relevant and set by the dominant culture/white people. There is a salient level of cultural bias when is comes to standardized testing which contributes to lower test scores for students of color.

Ex- a water polo analogy question is likely to only be recognized by a white and/or upper class student

Cultural bias- teachers are biased in how they are educating students of color, black and Latino children are more likely to be reccomended to be held back despite evidence that retention is not effective for a child’s education, and when the child performance doesn’t even fit that recommendation in the first place.’

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
@Booksnrain is speaking real facts not just giving emotion and opinion on this subject. Most people don’t realize everything at play in the education system. There is nothing new about this report. Across the country there is an opportunity, wealth, race, achievement, etc gap and our children suffer the most
There is so much misinformation out there. I’ve literally developed a behavior management system to provide professional development to teachers in culturally responsive instruction. Principals, behaviorists, stakeholders all want it b/c they know what’s fukked up in their schools—-also because parents have literally been suing and publicizing racial disparities that many districts have restricted the amount of suspensions a school can give a student for little shyt. Essentially now in many districts u CANT get rid of the student, so u have to figure out how to teach them...so I provide consultative support (for a nominal fee:mjgrin:sometimes for free b/c I’m a bleeding heart:wow:) to teachers.

Basically the last 8 years of my career has been researching what works and teaching white teachers how to teach blk kids to target the school-to-prison pipeline. You have to make whites face their implicit biases, teach them about culturally responsive instruction and how to utilize ABA strategies to create positive classroom learning environments. Lastly U have to teach teachers how to develop and implement culturally responsive engaging lessons based on the learning needs of AA students. I’ve helped teachers get over 70% proficiency pass rates for their students INCLUDING their students with disabilities. And that mirrors my own experiences as a teacher working in low-income, Title 1 blk schools.

The students who succeeded in my classrooms came from some of the worst environments around. But where u come from and what support u get at home has NOTHING to do with what I’m supposed to be able to do with u as my learner.
Years of literature has identified TEACHER quality as the PRIMARY indicator of student success beyond all other variables.

Report: Teacher qualifications best predictor of student success

We blaming the victims and giving a pass to a shytty ass school system just b/c some students can make it to the top of a shyt pile.
:mjlol: