Black students in Cali: only 20% pass MATH state test, 33% pass READING test

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
IDK breh. I think it's on the parents to make sure their kids are reading at home after school as well. If the only time you're opening a book is at school, you aren't going to keep up from grade to grade.
Nah. They spend more time at school than they do at home. This country just stinks at modern education.

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
A large portion of black children dont see education as important it's simple as that. nikkas gonna run in here juelzing, acting hyperemotional and negging but it is what it is. If I just rewind back the clock 5 years I was still in HS in Brooklyn and the majority of nikkas either focused on sports thinking they were really gonna be the next Lebron, who was repping what set, who's from what hood, who's getting money from scamming etc. Mind you this was a mixed school but I would say it was 50% black and 50% other( white,asian, Arabs, Hispanic etc) but 90% of the top GPA's in our senior year belonged to non black students:francis:. And no it wasn't just my school it's like that all throughout brooklyn, all throughout nyc, and all throughout the country.

The culture needs a major change:yeshrug:.

How many teachers did you have from K - 12 that looked like you? :lupe:

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
California got some of the best public state universities in the country too :francis:
Asians just taking all those slots up at Cal etc
Time we step our game up and stop with all the fukking excuses. Even if your school shytty it's Khan academy and 50-11 MOOC courses out here to use. Honestly I don't even buy the shytty school excuse cause 90% of the time a school is shytty because of the students and their parents :yeshrug:
That sorry excuse about books being old and all that bullshyt like Einstein ain't come up with theory of relativity off some old ass 1910 math books. Like get it together people. My son work part time, take AP courses, and take act/sat prep courses....and he go to a "black school". Ain't no excuses over here

REdefinition

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is one issue where you gotta be real and point to culture...not the SOLE issue, but a BIG part of the problem. Examine a study that shows the time spent at home studying and break it down by race and you will see a direct correlation to the article in the OP. Asians will lead the way, followed by whites, followed by AA (ADOS specifically).

Rakpo98

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I would say it’s 50% the school’s fault and 50% the parents fault. Parents have a huge responsibility early on to make sure that their kids get the best possible education. Parents set the example early on that carries over to when they become middle schoolers and high schoolers. If you’re a parent, and aren’t taking the time to teach your kids how to read, checking their homework or participating in parent-teacher conferences/PTA’s, you’re already putting your child behind the 8 ball.

If your kid doesn’t develop the habit of being studious by like 8 or 9 years old, chances are it might not happen at all.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Blk students account for 15% of students in public schools but over 45% of all suspensions.

https://ocrdata.ed.gov/Downloads/CRDC-School-Discipline-Snapshot.pdf

The picture is even starker when taken into account with the fact that Blk students are also disproportionately identified for special education programs and under identified in talented/gifted programs.

Racial%20Disparities%20in%20School%20Infographic-AIR-hp-sm-01.png

Studies have shown that even one suspension is highly correlated with drop out and increased involvement with incarceration.
The correlations between the discipline gap and the achievement gap are (obvious as fukk) also being investigated as well.

Thurgood Thurston III

#LLNB #LLLB #E4R | woooK nypdK
Daps
Reppin
The kirk to the fields
I ain't talking black culture.

I'm talking gang culture but you knew that though :mjpls:

Hard to go to school when you're a crip and your school is in Damu territory :hubie:

Good point.

I had to pass my opps block every day on my way to and from school. I eventually forced them to back down.

In school was worse. One time I had two crip nikkas searching classrooms for me :mjlol:

I blame myself though. I revelled in the fukkery. That was the only way I got bytches.

They love hearing stories that start like "iight so boom..."

Silky Johnson

The Master Investbreh
Daps
Reppin
Hatersbridge, BX
All yall falling for the culture bait are missing the point. American students of all races are :flabbynsick: in reading when compared to the rest of the world because 99% of schools don't gaf about the process. They just do it the way it's been done, results and science be damned:

NPR Choice page

The theory is wrong

Harper attended a professional-development day at one of the district's lowest-performing elementary schools. The teachers were talking about how students should attack words in a story. When a child came to a word she didn't know, the teacher would tell her to look at the picture and guess.

The most important thing was for the child to understand the meaning of the story, not the exact words on the page. So, if a kid came to the word "horse" and said "house," the teacher would say, that's wrong. But, Harper recalls, "if the kid said 'pony,' it'd be right because pony and horse mean the same thing."

Harper was shocked. First of all, pony and horse don't mean the same thing. And what does a kid do when there aren't any pictures?

This advice to a beginning reader is based on an influential theory about reading that basically says people use things like context and visual clues to read words. The theory assumes learning to read is a natural process and that with enough exposure to text, kids will figure out how words work.

Yet scientists from around the world have done thousands of studies on how people learn to read and have concluded that theory is wrong.

One big takeaway from all that research is that reading is not natural; we are not wired to read from birth. People become skilled readers by learning that written text is a code for speech sounds. The primary task for a beginning reader is to crack the code. Even skilled readers rely on decoding.

The Gap Between The Science On Kids And Reading, And How It Is Taught
So when a child comes to a word she doesn't know, her teacher should tell her to look at all the letters in the word and decode it, based on what that child has been taught about how letters and combinations of letters represent speech sounds. There should be no guessing, no "getting the gist of it."

And yet, "this ill-conceived contextual guessing approach to word recognition is enshrined in materials and handbooks used by teachers," wrote Louisa Moats, a prominent reading expert, in a 2017 article.

The contextual guessing approach is what a lot of teachers in Bethlehem had learned in their teacher preparation programs. What they hadn't learned is the science that shows how kids actually learn to read.

"We never looked at brain research," said Jodi Frankelli, Bethlehem's supervisor of early learning. "We had never, ever looked at it. Never."

The educators needed education.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Some school systems are starting to integrate restorative justice practices but it's a long way to go. They start it early too. My youngest son is bigger than 99% of children his age and was getting notes home every day from his pre-k teacher a week or two in.(big black man disorder). I found out they kept isolating him because "he wouldn't sit down & listen". I demanded to see her unit and lesson plans and saw that he wasn't listening because he was bored. That week they were learning basic shapes and it turns out he finished the week's work in about 15 minutes (we did shapes at home when he was like two). I checked the rest of the unit and it was a whole bunch of nonese

Pulled him out that day and enrolled in an Afrikaan-centered school. Haven't had a "behavioral issue" since :sas2:
The research on African American learning styles is says that we are more active learners anyway.
We must have movement or a strong emphasis on verve, lessons must be connected to a sense of purpose and unity for our students, we are also social learners as we tend to make connections to ideas through peer discussion.

Think of 3 things a young, scared white female teacher DOESNT wanna see in her classroom:
A group of blk kids, moving and socializing over engaging content connected to what is important to that child’s community.

It’s the difference between listening to a boring ass lecture on the water cycle vs. doing a research project on potable water sources and it’s importance to the environment and then linking it to real shyt like Flint, Michigan.

Ur average, white kid will be okay with the lecture but even if they aren’t, they won’t get suspended for acting the fool the way the blk kid will. The immigrant kids won’t try it b/c Asian cultures emphasize group think and docility and deference to authority in ways that complement the sit/spit/forget educational culture we currently make our kids endure.

Oh and god forbid ur son is blk and gifted and a behavior problem. They’ll slap a disability on him so quick b/c of THEIR lack of experience as teachers, racial implicit bias and cultural incongruity.

And stupid people in our race will sit there and ignore all of this and give them excuses for their nonsense “WeLL dEM bLK kIDs Is BaD!”

:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol: