Black students in Cali: only 20% pass MATH state test, 33% pass READING test

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm a chime in, as someone who absolutely hated math, I just gave up on it. BUT, I could always read and knew words above my grade level. Having said that, I wish I would have studied or at the very least tried in math, although I was decent, but I swear fo God that there wasn't shyt that wasn't taught on the ACT at the school I graduated from. But reading is inexcusable. It's so much dope shyt to read. Comic books, gaming magazines(when I grew up), hell when I was in college, I'd cut school(Just wasn't ready to be there honestly) and go to the library and read shyt. That shows a lack of imagination.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
You're confused.

One, those HBCU's were created during a DIFFERENT era, when black americans as a collective were focused on self improvement and has strong families. Unity was promoted and stressed.

Nowadays the culture in black american communities are no where near as unified and on-code as they were in the late 1800s/early 1900's when most of the universities were created.

Secondly, personal accountability sounds like a republican talking point. Is that something you learned during your maga rally/ados convention?

The reality is there was a time when education was highly respected in black society. Primarily right after slavery during reconstruction when black Americans were officially allowed to educate themselves and read. Anti-intellectualism in the black community didn't really become a thing until the late 70's unfortunately.

Instead of looking at a way to deflect towards African immigrants (who have high value of education, just lack of resources), tell us why education has been destressed and de-emphasized in ADOS households.

Anti intellectualism became cool when crack cocaine hit, and people chased the fast dollar over long term education.

When I said to slash the American military budget by 25%, and use the hundreds of billions of dollars to fund public school teacher salaries and Medicare 4 All, people started to say bullshyt like "American needs the bloated military to protect its citizens" when the infrastructure of schools is abysmal.

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
So in conclusion...
Fukk conservatives.

They created NCLB act that pushed us into the era of high stakes testing which made teachers forgo authentic learning experiences for test-taking strategies so that their rich corporate testing business buddies could turn out education system into a shytty ass business that they KNOW will disproportionately shyt on blk kids b/c they don’t have the same support system as other ethnicities.

Also fukk local conservatives for their steal from the poor and give to the rich policies that result in rich white schools getting more funding per pupil than poor black students.

Fukk em again for popularizing this victim-blaming mentality that leaves people idiotically baffled as to why white kids are magically outscoring blk kids even tho they are less likely to be poor, more likely to attend higher quality schools and less likely to be targeted by racist PAWGS for exclusionary discipline which results in loss of instructional time for blk children thus widening the achievement gap and funneling our kids into increasingly privatized prisons for more money in the pockets of these cronies.

And fukk em some more for DEFUNDING hundreds of pre-school and after school programs created to mitigate these disparities, all while giving millions to their corporate friends.

Thanks conservatives for ur concerted effort to fukk over the public education system and for ur success in getting idiots to somehow think it’s the people’s fault we are devolving into 3rd world country status.
By the way all of this is a plan to emphasize school choice: funnel money into white private schools and defund public schools.

Trump's Education Budget Revealed

The High Cost of Education Budget Cuts - NEA Today

Screen-Shot-2018-07-14-at-11.00.33-AM-e1531591627261.png
Screen-Shot-2018-07-14-at-11.00.13-AM-e1531591692768.png

And us idiots fall for it every fukking time. We as a nation did this to ourselves.
But not to worry as shyt gets worse and more and more teachers go on strike we may not even have to bother with public education at all...which was probably the plan in the first place. Eliminate FAPE or free and public education for all, put kids into for profit charter schools and give money to rich white private schools.

Thanks Betsy DeVos! I’m finally seeing the light.

DLaren

Banned
Daps
Black kids are dumber than ever and there are people in this thread twisting themselves into pretzels trying to justify it.

When I graduated highschool back in 2000 we were waaay behind Asians & Whites but slightly ahead of Hispanics -- 20 years later we're still waaay behind Asians & Whites but now trail Hispanics...

...every excuse I've read in this thread was the exact same thing people were saying 20 years ago, and since we absolutely refuse to do anything about it, we're on our way to cementing ourselves as the permanent underclass in America.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Any time state data is released we’re polling at or near the bottom .

This article doesn’t change that .

The number of college degrees that African Americans obtained shows that it is not cultural as you stated. So State data does not change that.

This is just about people not taking personal responsibility and accountability.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Sorry but this can't be attributed to racism or white supremacy alone. We see education gaps even in affluent black neighborhoods. How can Asian parents who speak broken English manage to constantly raise children who speak perfect English and read at a high level? Even Asian parents who are in grad programs and thus are not well off.

A lot of factors, including some racism. But ultimately parents matter. When you have a majority of black households where there isn't a two parent dynamic...this is what you get. You've got one parent (usually the mom) working her ass off just to keep the family afloat. She doesn't have time to make sure the homework is done properly, or have a child read to her, or get the kids into academic clubs. And if the kid is not a distraction, schools are more than happy to pass them along grade to grade even if they can't do basic shyt like read well or do math.

Speaking of which...reminds me of something a black teacher told my mom, in relation to the education gap. She said that when a black kid gets a C, the teacher pats the kid on the back and says good job. When a white kid gets a C, the teacher calls the parents and tells them she believes Little Johhny can do better if he does xyz. They don't have expectations for black kids. As long as the kid is quiet and not a distraction, that alone is good enough. Do I think this happens every day? Yes. Do I think this could possibly be the main cause of these terrible numbers? No.

I also think segments of "black culture" play a role. When you've got a "culture" obsessed with aesthetics, that denigrates intellect as "being white," that doesn't read...you end up with a lot of kids who don't take school seriously. Add in parents who don't care, and just want their kid to turn 18 and get a job...and yea.

BlackJesus

Spread science, save with coupons
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Waiting on people to blame “blk culture” for the fukkery of the American school system.

Well, before we blame the system entirely lets remember the fact that asian kids are getting 70%+ scores in that same system.

If it was all about the system wouldn't it depress and lower scores of all children across the board?

There's clearly something black parents can do about this. Blaming the system is not it.

Noriega

Simps R Us
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside,Chicago
Blk students account for 15% of students in public schools but over 45% of all suspensions.

https://ocrdata.ed.gov/Downloads/CRDC-School-Discipline-Snapshot.pdf

The picture is even starker when taken into account with the fact that Blk students are also disproportionately identified for special education programs and under identified in talented/gifted programs.

Racial%20Disparities%20in%20School%20Infographic-AIR-hp-sm-01.png

Studies have shown that even one suspension is highly correlated with drop out and increased involvement with incarceration.
The correlations between the discipline gap and the achievement gap are (obvious as fukk) also being investigated as well.
So black kids need to stop acting a fool in school then why are we :cape: for bad behavior?

me nor any of my siblings were ever suspended or expelled from school, we had parents, aunts, grandparents that disciplined us at home.

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Well, before we blame the system entirely lets remember the fact that asian kids are getting 70%+ scores in that same system.

If it was all about the system wouldn't it depress and lower scores of all children across the board?

There's clearly something black parents can do about this. Blaming the system is not it.

Which is what I have been saying. It is clearly a lack of personal responsibility. If the parents don't care that their kids are not doing better and the kids don't care then there is nothing else to say.

The lie is when people claim that is cultural, because education has been huge in my family since the days of slavery.