Black students in Cali: only 20% pass MATH state test, 33% pass READING test

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
That’s the thing. I know all about the systematic shyt, I get that.

But I need someone to explain to me how the fukk we’re scoring less than Latinos who live in the same communities, with the same poverty rates, etc.

Like we get too busy defending the culture at times to folks who are gonna demonize us regardless. I don’t think it’s indicative of the culture as a whole but we definitely got an issue within the culture that needs to be addressed before it’s too late.

These stats disgust me man, our ancestors ain’t sacrifice life and limb for mediocrity like this.

The HARSH realities of just existing in this society are too much for some people to cope with. They get high on the drug called DENIAL. It's everybody else's fault why Black children are not passing MINIMUM basic skills tests except their parents.

Their great grandchildren will be copping the same pleas and making the same excuses in the future.

Daps
Here’s a thought

How about the people who fukked the kids in the world act civil enough even when shyt doesn’t work out to prioritize learning for the children

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
That's pathetic, because when I took those tests, it was based on shyt I learned in 4th grade.

I passed that shyt wit flying colors.

Not going lie, I had some friends in 12th that were still taking that California High School Exit Exam....

It's beyond disgraceful.

Mike_Pipeson

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
HTX
Who has time for all that when you working a bunch of bs jobs trying to make ends meet?
It's called being a parent. My folks did that shyt and worked all the time and their parents did that while fighting for civil rights. If that's too much, don't have kids. That simple

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Growing up, the big math and reading tests were a big deal. We were prepared thoroughly and the teachers and principle treated it like their jobs were on the line. I don’t remember many or any of my classmate failing so these numbers are kinda alarming to me. Like what’s up with these kids or are the teachers teaching them
shytty methods?

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Math ain't even that hard. I took accelerated precalculus didn't study and still passed with a C:mindblown: I haven't taken not one tutoring program

Dudes complaining about Algebra and Geometry just give up:mjlol:
Dawg that exam isnt even algebra isn't literally basic addition, subtraction, division and multiplication.

I remember them hyping it up, like it was a super hard test pass, when I knocked that shyt out in like 20 minutes, and I've always been the type of person to use, every bit of time for a test.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Thanks for the info and I hear you on the poor policy making within this field, but I was not victim blaming. I was saying that given that policy is weak, are there factors that we can address such as the questions I asked. Or is policy making the only thing that can change those. Is there a possibility to improve even with headwind? E.g. how do we create solid family culture, do we need Washington for this? (saw something saying 15% of Asian kids are from single parent household vs 65% of black people). Is this just a higher order derivative of some other policy failure perhaps? To conclude, my point is that there's probably issues we can solve without Washington, endogenously instead of from a macro standpoint. But it's a very hard task to mobilize a cultural movement among millions of people. Just talking outta my ass it probably takes decades or even centuries of small steps, and even harder when you need to break a vicious cycle. A cycles the above mentioned Asians never had to deal with.
Oh I know you weren’t victim-blaming but it can be tempting for some others to do so.

I think accountability has to come from top down b/c these issues are reflexive in nature. Even when SES is accounted for the gap still remains due to racial bias against our children. Black birthrates to single mothers have been decreasing for years. So has birthrates to married blk women which makes it that number high. The math on Black out of wedlock births

Moreover education is a huge vehicle for avoiding the factors that contribute to that, (I.e. educational attainment is correlated to lower birthrates) so if this education mess is fixed we’d have less of the factors u mentioned. But it’s hard to fix them from the bottom up when our school systems are working against AA students particularly due to poverty and low quality of schools most blks are concentrated in.
Data tool shows school poverty leads to racial achievement gap

There are programs that teach poor parents to engage with their children, but those don’t account for parents working 2-3 jobs. And even the best blk parents who can’t afford private school are still at the mercy of the deleterious effects of low quality schools they have to send their children too. We can preach to the masses to spend more time with children but ur child spends 14 years, 8 hours per day, 5 days a week, for 180 days away from u. That is a lot of instructional time wasted if we can’t hold out schools accountable. Short of completely homeschooling or providing tutoring, good parenting isn’t enough to make up for the deficits our children are experiencing in these hellholes.

I also think the content of what they are learning is racist itself and renders AA children completely invisible in a way that we can’t compensate for culturally in the way that immigrant backgrounds can. We are more sensitive to the lack of representation in the curriculum b/c we don’t have the historic and cultural support from a motherland or China to fill in those gaps. Tons of research has been done on the impact of Eurocentricity in educational content. Ming Li won’t care as much b/c he can go to any Asian community and get affirmation of his history, language, peoples from family back home, his communities, their media. Same with Latino families they can turn on Telemundo and get affirmation. And African families. This isn’t true of AA students, which is why culturally relevant pedagogy is so important because a part of learning is seeing urself in the content. Other cultures may not see themselves but their cultural ties to their former lands cover that gap in a way that AAs can’t due to our unique history in this fukked up country.

Lastly, we can’t improve education without improving the profession and we don’t invest enough in our teachers to attract and retain quality leadership. Also teacher education programs need massive reform but are becoming streamlined due to conservative budget cuts. So now ur child’s future teacher might take a couple of courses online, get their certification and be in your child’s classroom within a month. Ready or not.

There’s a LOT to fix and I’m all for starting with parents but economic realities make that route improbable without addressing major social reforms needed.

⠝⠕⠏⠑

Veteran
Daps
Get your lies together before you try to question my people, when your's can't stop running all over the globe from their failed state.

20150711_usc001.png

At least we don't run to the next man's country when things get tough for us here otherwise half our population would've been gone during reconstruction and jim crow.
:whoo:

Samori Toure

Veteran
Supporter
Daps