"Black people were better off during the Jim Crow era"-the coli

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
OP is leaving out important details for whatever reasons

Black income began to rise rapidly before 1964 aka Jim Crow Era, you see that steep drop that started off the chart you posted, that started 25 years before the civil rights era.
If anything the rise in black household income stagnated/slowed down after 1964
Black Progress: How far we’ve come, and how far we have to go | Brookings Institution

The reason black income rose probably could be chalked up to the Great Migration, where black moved from the South which had lower cost of living to big cities with higher costs of living and higher incomes.
No simple adjustment for inflation would account for that.
Percentage_of_African_American_population_living_in_the_American_South.png

Black poverty rate dropped as the overall poverty in the USA dropped, so using that chart in OP to argue that blacks are much better off now (financially at least) is a stretch
All people in the USA are better off than they were pre-1964, but the income gap between blacks and whites has actually grown. When it was shrinking pre-1964.
Pew-Race-Chart.png

This is especially bad when you refer back to the Great Migration stats that blacks were moving to the city at a much higher rate than whites, more black were living in high income areas than whites and the gap still grew.
The income gap between all Americans grew during that period. Wages have stagnated for everyone other than the top few percent.

There's still no arguing that ANYTHING was better for black people during the Jim Crow era.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
:childplease:

Our mentality wasn't in the best shape waayyyy before the 60s....

not sure how much more simple i can explain it but this post does a pretty good job:
The statement is being over simplified.

When people say things were better for blacks during Jim Crow they're not referring to the social or economical status. They're referring to the intangibles. To the things that can't be measured.

Since racism was overt, more people were aware of it and behaved accordingly. There weren't as many "new blacks". Since we were segregated we had to depend upon each other more. Which caused us to have a stronger sense of community.

Since Red Lobster didn't want our patronage, we went to sister Emma kitchen and supported her with payment or barter.

Nearly every black person back then knew a cac would stab them in the back first chance they got.

This is all im trying to say. There was a stronger sense of unity. We KNEW who the enemy was. Today, racism is more covert and also the "propped up negro" has given blacks a false sense that "everything is ok".

Again, why are blacks JUST NOW coming to the mindset on a mass level of transferring their funds into black-owned banks? Do yall not agree that thats something that should have BEEN happening?

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
youre still missing the point:wow:

Racial pride TODAY is at its lowest as its ever been:wow:
That is complete and utter absolute bullshyt. Are you seriously trying to tell me that racial pride was higher in 19fukking21 than it is today???

The average black person was barely literate, working in farming in squalid conditions and abject poverty. Black people were so psychologically fukked from the racism that permeated every aspect of day-to-day living there wasn't even a space for racial pride. It was all misery and survival.

Today, black entrepeneurs get rich off selling packaged racial pride like factually-flawed documentaries and smartdumb youtube rants as a consumer product to black consumers with the disposable income to buy it.

I don't think there were a lot of "woke" sharecroppers.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:camby:If you're uncomfortable with Black militancy, go to some CAC site, CAC. This is The Locker Room, Black st0rmfr0nt. We're here to discuss bedwenching, race wars, and how cashew oil can cure herpes thanks to Dr.* Sebi.

*not really a doctor
:francis:I can't until my Dr. Sebi's Home Herbal Colon Cleanse Kit comes in the mail.
:dead:

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
The income gap between all Americans grew during that period. Wages have stagnated for everyone other than the top few percent.

There's still no arguing that ANYTHING was better for black people during the Jim Crow era.
Eh, I don't think it's that black and white

But black income was growing at a faster rate than white income pre-1964, that trend reversed since 1964, the growth in the black/white income gap is proof of that.

The Brooking Institute link I posted basically is saying the same thing, blacks made great gains in the 1900s, especially when compared to whites, problem is majority of those gains came before the civil rights movement. Why is that?
The situation for blacks in Americas was improving uniformly from 1940, the civil rights movement and end of Jim Crow should have accelerated that rather than slowed it down?

And regardless OP was wrong, how are you gonna post a chart to show that black income has grown since the civil rights movement (as to credit the end of Jim Crow for this growth) and leave out the fact it had been growing, at an even higher rate, 25 years before the civil rights movement.

Last edited:

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
That is complete and utter absolute bullshyt. Are you seriously trying to tell me that racial pride was higher in 19fukking21 than it is today???

The average black person was barely literate, working in farming in squalid conditions and abject poverty. Black people were so psychologically fukked from the racism that permeated every aspect of day-to-day living there wasn't even a space for racial pride. It was all misery and survival.

Today, black entrepeneurs get rich off selling packaged racial pride like factually-flawed documentaries and smartdumb youtube rants as a consumer product.

I don't think there were a lot of "woke" sharecroppers.

tumblr_n9ij0ekQmc1setsv8o1_400.gif

Trust me, they KNEW who their enemy/oppressors were. They KNEW they could be lynched for whistling at a white woman. Blacks KNEW the only people they could trust were other blacks (the white man back then just like today attempts to divide us) They were indeed "woke".

We got a loooong way to go mentally unless, ,like i said before....you're content and happy with the way things are today.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
tumblr_n9ij0ekQmc1setsv8o1_400.gif

Trust me, they KNEW who their enemy/oppressors were. They KNEW they could be lynched for whistling at a white woman. Blacks KNEW the only people they could trust were other blacks (the white man back then just like today attempts to divide us) They were indeed "woke".

We got a loooong way to go mentally unless, ,like i said before....you're content and happy with the way things are today.
lol of course they knew they could be lynched. That's not what you said. You said racial pride was higher back then.

What are you even talking about? Knowing you can be lynched for whistling at a white woman = having racial pride? That type of trauma causes racial shame more than it does racial pride.

D-NICE

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Nashville Tenn
If you look at middle and lower class whites their wages have stayed pretty much the same over that same period. Only people making gains are the top 10 percent or so.

White people aren't straddling on the the poverty line though. This chart is being dropped like we out here balling in the streets nowadays compared to then when we barely making more and it just ends up being over some amount that determines who is or isn't considered poor.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Eh, I don't think it's that black and white

But black income was growing at a faster rate than white income pre-1964, that trend reversed since 1964.

The Brooking Institute link I posted basically is saying the same thing, blacks made great gains in the 1900s, especially when compared to whites, problem is majority of those gains came before the civil rights movement. Why is that?

The situation for blacks in Americas was improving uniformly from 1940, the civil rights movement and end of Jim Crow should have accelerated that rather than slowed it down?
Again wages for all Americans stagnated. Before that time black people were starting from absolute zero, so logically their rate would raise faster.

Once American policy switched to give all the gains to the richest few percent, wages stopped growing for everybody. Black people already starting from a disadvantage while still facing greater institutionalized barriers were effected more by these policies.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
White people aren't straddling on the the poverty line though. This chart is being dropped like we out here balling in the streets nowadays compared to then when we barely making more and it just ends up being over some amount that determines who is or isn't considered poor.
Yes they are. Most middle class Americans regardless of race are a couple missed paychecks from poverty.

This reality is worse for black people due to history and continued institutional oppression.

Audemar

Superstar
Daps
This is all im trying to say. There was a stronger sense of unity. We KNEW who the enemy was. Today, racism is more covert and also the "propped up negro" has given blacks a false sense that "everything is ok".
Fact: there are more Black people today who are colorblind than in the past. However, this doesn't mean that everyone back then was on some pro-Black everything because "extremist" ideas have never been accepted by Black people. The video in this thread demonstrates this. (http://www.thecoli.com/threads/1968-cbs-video-on-race-whites-going-in-on-blacks-shocker.442746). I'm reasonable certain that if Black people of past decades lived in the conditions that we do today, not much would be different. For a long time now, it's been clear that many Black people don't want Black people to be the dominant race. Equality or the perception of equality is enough for them. Black people want to integrate with people who have nothing to gain from integration and can't see the issue. :francis:

Piffery

All Star
Daps
lol of course they knew they could be lynched. That's not what you said. You said racial pride was higher back then.

What are you even talking about? Knowing you can be lynched for whistling at a white woman = having racial pride? That type of trauma causes racial shame more than it does racial pride.
I think he's trying to say black people are too friendly with white people.
Or attached.
And aren't as "that" with black people now.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin

once we gain knowledge of self and past history (which we are in the process of doing now), our racial pride will increase which will lead to a more unified black community. This knowledge of past history will make us more aware of the barriers and tactics that the white man has used against us throughout history and continue to use against us today. All of this combined will AGAIN make us realize that WE are all that we got. It will put us into a "black first" mindset. It will unify us. Do you not understand that the current black mindset and way of thinking is exactly how the white man WANTS us to think??