"Black people were better off during the Jim Crow era"-the coli

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Yeah it has, they just don't say it in the words I used in the OP because they probably know how ridiculous it sounds, but it is essentially what has been said here plenty of times. People say things were better pre-Great Society and that integration and single mothers made black life worse than what it was before.
integration yes indeed did fukk up the black mindset. I think THATS what people moreso is alluding to. Pre-integration, this was a reality:

blackwallstreet2.jpg

Black people KNEW who their enemy/oppressors were. Black people KNEW that the only people they could rely on were other black people. Today, not so much. Integration into white society and white education drained us of our racial pride and knowledge of self. If "change" ever happens, an increase in those 2 areas must occur. Knowledge of self and past history will bring about an increase in our own racial pride which will bring about a more unified "black community".

Hell, many posters believe that there is no black community today. That is a direct result of integration.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
integration yes indeed did fukk up the black mindset. I think THATS what people moreso is alluding to. Pre-integration, this was a reality:

blackwallstreet2.jpg

Black people KNEW who their enemy/oppressors were. Black people KNEW that the only people they could rely on were other black people. Today, not so much. Integration into white society and white education drained us of our racial pride and knowledge of self. If "change" ever happens, an increase in those 2 areas must occur. Knowledge of self and past history will bring about an increase in our own racial pride which will bring about a more unified "black community".

Hell, many posters believe that there is no black community today. That is a direct result of integration.
Yeah, so...what happened to Black Wall Street? Refresh my memory...I'm kinda shaky on it. :lupe:

VegasCAC

Leader of #CACset
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, so...what happened to Black Wall Street? Refresh my memory...I'm kinda shaky on it. :lupe:
Black Wall Street was an incredible achievement that by its very existence is a testament to the ingenuity and persistence of black people in Jim Crow society, but reality is that it didn't make life for black folks as a whole better and it excluded tons of poor people.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
Yeah it has, they just don't say it in the words I used in the OP because they probably know how ridiculous it sounds, but it is essentially what has been said here plenty of times. People say things were better pre-Great Society and that integration and single mothers made black life worse than what it was before.
Most are talking about the community mentality that was given up after integration and was replaced with trusting white people as a whole which is biting us in the ass to this day and not about missing segregation itself.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
So let me get this straight, the average household income has only increased from 25K to 33K in 50 years (which is not that much before or after). Do you honestly feel because we have hit some above some arbitrary line on what is considered impoverished ( and I'm estimating 30K), we are in a substantially better position? Sounds like we make just enough to not have acces to certain benefits but poor enough to still be in a fukked up position.
If you look at middle and lower class whites their wages have stayed pretty much the same over that same period. Only people making gains are the top 10 percent or so.

Dzali OG

Dz Ali OG...Pay me like you owe me!
Daps
Reppin
Duval Florida
The statement is being over simplified.

When people say things were better for blacks during Jim Crow they're not referring to the social or economical status. They're referring to the intangibles. To the things that can't be measured.

Since racism was overt, more people were aware of it and behaved accordingly. There weren't as many "new blacks". Since we were segregated we had to depend upon each other more. Which caused us to have a stronger sense of community.

Since Red Lobster didn't want our patronage, we went to sister Emma kitchen and supported her with payment or barter.

Nearly every black person back then knew a cac would stab them in the back first chance they got.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
your point?:lupe:

lets stick with the mindset that blacks back then had to accomplish Black WallStreet IN THE FIRST PLACE:lupe:
My point is you touted Black Wall Street as an example of how good pre-integration black life while completely ignoring that it got burned to ground in a mass slaughter of its residents by racist whites. :dead:

That's kind of an important detail you left out. That's what happened to black comeups, both potential and realized in the Jim Crow days.

Plus Black Wall Street was the exception. It was not representative of the life of the average black person in the 1920's, who lived in abject poverty and fear of being murdered if they looked the wrong way or walked in the wrong place, and had a life expectancy of about 47.

Last edited:

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
OP is leaving out important details for whatever reasons

Black income began to rise rapidly before 1964 aka Jim Crow Era, you see that steep drop that started off the chart you posted, that started 25 years before the civil rights era.
If anything the rise in black household income stagnated/slowed down after 1964
Black Progress: How far we’ve come, and how far we have to go | Brookings Institution

The reason black income rose probably could be chalked up to the Great Migration, where black moved from the South which had lower cost of living to big cities with higher costs of living and higher incomes.
No simple adjustment for inflation would account for that.
Percentage_of_African_American_population_living_in_the_American_South.png

Black poverty rate dropped as the overall poverty in the USA dropped, so using that chart in OP to argue that blacks are much better off now (financially at least) is a stretch
All people in the USA are better off than they were pre-1964, but the income gap between blacks and whites has actually grown. When it was shrinking pre-1964.
Pew-Race-Chart.png

This is especially bad when you refer back to the Great Migration stats that blacks were moving to the city at a much higher rate than whites, more black were living in high income areas than whites and the gap still grew.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
My point is you touted Black Wall Street as an example of how good pre-integration black life while completely ignoring that it got burned to ground in a mass slaughter of its residents by racist whites. :dead:

That's kind of an important detail you left out. That's what happened to black comeups, both potential and realized in the Jim Crow days.

Black Wall Street was the exception. It was not representative of the life of the average black person in the 1920's, who lived in abject poverty and fear of being murdered if they looked the wrong way or walked in the wrong place, and had a life expectancy of about 47.
youre still missing the point:wow:

Racial pride TODAY is at its lowest as its ever been:wow:

I know it cant be measured with a graph but black love and unity is also at its lowest:wow:

Why is it JUST NOW becoming a trend for blacks to put their funds into black-owned banks? Thats something that we should have BEEN doing? Matter fact, "black first" should be a NATURAL mindset for us to have, but its not. :wow:

Im not saying blacks were better off back then, but integration KILLED our fighting spirit as a people. Just taking a look at who owns shyt in black areas should tell you all you need to know. We got a LONG way to go mentally, shyt is NOT all gravy.....unless you're happy and content with the way things are currently:ld: