"Black people were better off during the Jim Crow era"-the coli

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I can sort of see why some may say that. Black people as a whole own less businesses today than back then.
This is not true

Not to mention less wealth despite black people back then having a higher poverty rate.
This is not true
I remember reading about this during that experiment with the black family only buying from black businesses for like a month or something. They were surprised how difficult it was and found through experience and research black businesses were in a decline. It may seem that we are more dependent on white people today, although it's not entirely true.
Black business is growing

Only people believing in the statement in the OP are those of you who have bad information:francis:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
They are not counting people in prison. Y'all are stupid
The fukk are you talking about:dwillhuh:

There are about 1.5 million black people in prison. Even if you add every single one of them to the poverty statistic it would not move the rate at all.

Stop, think, read.

Don't be a smart dumb nikka your entire life:smh:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I don't completely understand the trend line and data. Why did black poverty hit it's lowest during the bush era/recession/war on drugs era? Why is it trending back up at the end of the graph?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don't completely understand the trend line and data. Why did black poverty hit it's lowest during the bush era/recession/war on drugs era? Why is it trending back up at the end of the graph?
It fluctuates with the overall American economy. When the economy is up the rate goes down, economy down poverty rate up.

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
BAao2ZK

This is what you c00ns don't understand. 25,000 in the 60s is WAY MORE than 33,000 in 2016 smh
The poverty line is adjusted for inflation.

Plus the calculation for the poverty figure today isn't really accurate because it doesn't account for the non-cash benefits put in since the 60's. The poverty line number today doesn't account for SNAP, rent subsidies, utility subsidies, earned income tax credit, etc. A poor black person in 1960 had none of that. A poor black person today with the same inflation-adjusted income as a poor black person in 1960 is living much better.

Read this...

Official Poverty Measure Masks Gains Made Over Last 50 Years | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Last edited:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps
I can sort of see why some may say that. Black people as a whole own less businesses today than back then. Not to mention less wealth despite black people back then having a higher poverty rate. I remember reading about this during that experiment with the black family only buying from black businesses for like a month or something. They were surprised how difficult it was and found through experience and research black businesses were in a decline. It may seem that we are more dependent on white people today, although it's not entirely true.
Go around and ask old black people who remember the 50's and 60's were things better back then.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
This is not true

This is not true

Black business is growing

Only people believing in the statement in the OP are those of you who have bad information:francis:

There are many articles stating what I wrote. Some say we are doing good and others say we aren't so well off. Quite frankly, depending on what the motive of the article it can swing either way. Which leads me to believe that not much has changed between now and back then, maybe a slight improvement. Regardless, it seems many people are fed up and believe we should be further along. I feel we definitely have much room for improvement but we must keep it in perspective, segregation and slavery weren't that long ago. Change isn't overnight and rapid like many would like.

ahdsend

Superstar
Daps
yea the war on poverty helped everyone out....

but we gotta recognize the 1960s movement got co opted by c00ns and agents

black folks like X, MLK, Fred Hampton were the exception back then

we had an INCREDIBLE opportunity to empower ourselves and squandered it...

u gotta post the wealth chart too, cause that gap has gotten a lot BIGGER

Urban.WealthByRace-avg3-1024x564.jpg

These ten charts show the black-white economic gap hasn’t budged in 50 years

washington post exposed this black progress myth in 2013..

how many black folks back then even bought a damn house...

can u imagine working for a year or two and buying a house STRAIGHT CASH :wow:

average black income 1970 = bout $25,000

average house 1970 = $23,400

average black income 1975 = bout $28,000

average house 1975 = $39,500

move up to 1980 the average house was $68,714, and the feds came into the hood wit crack...

and it was over, just like that :francis:

cause integration never really happened, the dominant society was always against it..

thats why they went to the suburbs... now they coming back to take back the cities, with black folks more helpless than ever..

u think gentrification would mean shyt to us if we actually owned some properties and communities??

we had a GREAT chance and gave it up to shop at white stores and have sex with white folks..

i know how excited they musta been once that birth control pill came out..

even the black kids today are MORE segregated in the schools than they was in 1968 :dwillhuh:

that aint even going into the special ed scam..

we are still in Jim Crow, it just aint open and blatant no more

thats a lot more dangerous to the black psyche, cause its easier for us to pretend like theres nothing wrong..

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
There are many articles stating what I wrote. Some say we are doing good and others say we aren't so well off. Quite frankly, depending on what the motive of the article it can swing either way. Which leads me to believe that not much has changed between now and back then, maybe a slight improvement. Regardless, it seems many people are fed up and believe we should be further along. I feel we definitely have much room for improvement but we must keep it in perspective, segregation and slavery weren't that long ago. Change isn't overnight and rapid like many would like.
Realistically we have made great progress in 60 years. Especially considering the continued systemic barriers.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Go around and ask old black people who remember the 50's and 60's were things better back then.

I don't have to, I know history and that history wasn't that long ago. I don't think things were better back then, yet I do see where things could've been done a different way but hindsight is 20/20. I'm saying many people, particularly young people feel this way is for the reasons I stated. It mostly out of frustration, especially given the climate today.

Malt-O-Meal

Banned
Daps
Like I said, outside of the trolls, people just seem frustrated. Yes we have made progress since Jim Crow days and yes there have been many missteps. Hopefully, that frustration inspires people to do great things. They are aware now and should make moves to help change our situation. It wasn't supposed to end after the civil rights movement anyway. I'm doing my part, as small as it may seem.

Mr swag

We Out Here
Daps
Reppin
The Well Respected Uptown,Virginia
The fukk are you talking about:dwillhuh:

There are about 1.5 million black people in prison. Even if you add every single one of them to the poverty statistic it would not move the rate at all.

Stop, think, read.

Don't be a smart dumb nikka your entire life:smh:

So YOU are saying that adding 3% of the ENTIRE black population DOESNT move the needle? And keep in mind that we HAVENT INCUDLEd people in state prisons and local jails :mjlol:

Smart dumb nikkas