Black people, do we need sunscreen?

FLORIDA BOI

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes we do!

I didn't use to wear it because I thought we didn't. I got sun burned on the back of my shoulders and it was gray for months until I exfoliated it off. My face got sun damaged because I didn't wear sunscreen. It would stay tan and shiny like a penny while the rest of my body loss it's tan during the winter. I had to go to a derm. to get it back to it's regular color. Retin a and chemical peels :blessed:
You must be light

I never wear sunscreen I'm in direct sun almost everyday for atleast 5 hrs a day from spring until August

White dudes , Asians ,Latinos are torched out there I never had a problem

Raiders

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Ive been burnt once feel asleep in the sun for a few hours. skin was sore, it didnt peell tho

Daps
In this thread if you are not black then your opinions based on your experiences don't matter.
If you are a mulatto then STFU.
If both of your parents are mulattos then STFU.
If you have anywhere close to 40% cac genes, then STFU.
If you are an outright cac then don't even fukking dare.
Black people don't need any fukking sunscreen. You rather need to soak up as much as possible but of course with common sense you should drink enough water everytime and know when to take a break under some shade.

NZA

LOL
Daps
Reppin
These Internet Streetz
well, i will say this. im neither dark nor light, just right in the middle of black complexion and when i was a kid during an AZ summer i got sunburned on my nose. i think your skin toughens up over time, but as a kid, i guess i could have used some sunscreen that day.

Beck.er.

All Star
Daps
Y'all know you don't have to get sunburnt to get UV damage to your skin, right?
:usure:

Black people get skin cancers at rates minuscule compared to whites,
BUT we tend to get the types that are hardest and least likely to get diagnosed...
the types that worsen the quickest and are hardest to treat...
the types that have the highest mortality rates
Without the risk of cancer there's still wrinkles and sunspots.:scusthov:

Very dark skin has a natural SPF of 13. Gallivanting in swimwear or working out or just hanging out in the sun in shorts and a tank in the middle of the day in the middle of summer requires greater protection than that. 15 at a minimum.

And most of y'all temperate zone dwellers with office 9-5s and rare outdoor activities are not very dark skin. So your natural protection is less than 13.

Eta: also
Climate is getting fukked up
Ozone is getting fukked up
Environment is fukked up
We're literally living in a hotter, sunnier environment than our ancestors.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Y'all know you don't have to get sunburnt to get UV damage to your skin, right?
:usure:

Black people get skin cancers at rates minuscule compared to whites,
BUT we tend to get the types that are hardest and least likely to get diagnosed...
the types that worsen the quickest and are hardest to treat...
the types that have the highest mortality rates
Without the risk of cancer there's still wrinkles and sunspots.:scusthov:

Very dark skin has a natural SPF of 13. Gallivanting in swimwear or working out or just hanging out in the sun in shorts and a tank in the middle of the day in the middle of summer requires greater protection than that. 15 at a minimum.

And most of y'all temperate zone dwellers with office 9-5s and rare outdoor activities are not very dark skin. So your natural protection is less than 13.

Eta: also
Climate is getting fukked up
Ozone is getting fukked up
Environment is fukked up
We're literally living in a hotter, sunnier environment than our ancestors.

Nope... The Earth was much hotter thousand years ago. And also millions of years ago, even before the dinosaurs.

Daps
If you grow up around Sun year round then I guess your body is used to it, if you don't and then expose yourself to Sun then you will get burnt...and plus Black people we don't generally go to the beach and just sit in the sun for hours a day so we don't get that direct sun light to burn.

Mess World

☭☥☤☮☯ψ
Daps
If you're not used to the sun you're gonna get burnt. Try going to the beach on a scorching day when you haven't been all year