Black Myth: Wukong | August 20, 2024 | PS5/PC

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Major criticisms seem to be it's linear with small environments that all look the same. Focus is on bosses and combat, not exploration. Sounds more like Nioh than Dark Souls. I LOVE Nioh, so I'm in.
This part is disappointing to me.

Level design makes or breaks these games for me. Can’t just do linear corridors anymore :smh:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Naw, Lies of P has very intricate levels like the souls games.

It absolutely does not lol, having a couple shortcuts in a level that loop back around is exactly what i expect from wukong

Strongest aspects of Lies of P is the combat/Weapon combos and art design/lore. I’d say the level design is one of the weakest aspects

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Demand for Black Myth Wukong has been extremely high in China since pre-orders went live on June 7. Here is a quick breakdown:

- The title was the #1 best selling game on Steam in China by revenue for the week ending June 11. This was for the standard pre-order version. The high amount of pre-orders in China also led it to becoming the #1 best selling game globally on Steam, despite only ranking at #42 in the US and lower in other major markets.

- The first round of physical pre-orders for the Deluxe and Collectors edition went live on June 10 and sold out within seconds. The Deluxe edition ($113) was limited to 20k units and the collectors edition ($276) was limited to 10k units. More than 700,000 people registered interest in buying the game via e-commerce platform JD.

- The second round of physical pre-orders also went live today on June 17 and sold out. This second round also received more than 700,000 registrations.

- Due to the high demand and limited supply, we've already seen resale listings on third party websites that are up to 10x the price in some cases.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
It absolutely does not lol, having a couple shortcuts in a level that loop back around is exactly what i expect from wukong
Gtfoh whole levels end up doubling back to different areas with multiple routes through everything. Not sure what game you played.

All these previews say the levels in wukong are very straightforward, not even the shortcut type stuff.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Gtfoh whole levels end up doubling back to different areas with multiple routes through everything. Not sure what game you played.

All these previews say the levels in wukong are very straightforward, not even the shortcut type stuff.

Its not even a hot take, its a common complaint with the game.

It suffers from some uneven difficulty and overly linear level design, but its impressive story, extremely well-tuned combat, and memorable areas and boss fights mean that this isn’t one you should miss out on

Much of the game’s level design lacks inspiration

As for the level design, it does occasionally showcase some potential, with winding pathways and intricate shortcuts that make it feel like one connected world. It often felt a bit too linear, taking me down hallway after hallway, with only a few side paths. Going into a factory or the underbelly of a cathedral provides some of the dullest levels I’ve seen in a while

It’s exacerbated by the level design, which is Lies of P’s weakest point. It’s familiar bonfires, locked doors and ladders territory, and there are some hints of greatness, but far too often there are long stretches of either empty territory or densely-packed murder puppets that make running back through them a chore. The environments lack a certain spark, being neither convincingly real locations nor fun to explore

Still, the attention to detail and strict level layout—this is a more linear affair

Like i said, Lies of P has shortcuts and some winding around but it’s very lackluster in comparison to an actual souls game. If anything I’d equate it more to a Nioh game

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Its not even a hot take, its a common complaint with the game.

Like i said, Lies of P has shortcuts and some winding around but it’s very lackluster in comparison to an actual souls game. If anything I’d equate it more to a Nioh game

Linear progression =/= to the actual designs of the levels.

The progression is very linear, but the levels themselves are very intricate with multiple ways through each level and multiple ways to reach each level from different locations.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

I asked both Microsoft and Game Science to comment on the "optimizations" issue, seeking some clarity. Was the Xbox Series S to blame? Game Science didn't respond, but this morning, a Microsoft spokesperson offered the below statement.

"We’re excited for the launch of Black Myth Wukong on Xbox Series X|S and are working with Game Science to bring the game to our platforms. We can't comment on the deals made by our partners with other platform holders, but we remain focused on making Xbox the best platform for gamers, and great games are at the center of that."

This is how MS should be responding to all these dumb comments

Last edited:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!