“Black men, please be a mentor. These boys out here are hurting. They need you.”

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
You know what it means. A lot of “us” would eradicate the types of Black people they don’t want to exist if they could. Look at the tone of this thread.

More posts about the random woman who made it than the kids she’s referring to. “Bum men” “worthless women” “burden children”

And many of "us" don't realize they would be under that same ax under similar rules.

Weird psychology with some black people on this forum in the America's

Kiyoshi-Dono

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Petty Vandross.. fukk Yall
The problem is the mommas will say men are too harsh in delivery
To mentor young men you have to be abrasive in approach
You have to have the ability to say real shyt without the fear of repercussions
As men we are stern with each other
Yeah we may get mad and want to squab it out but at the end of the day
If my Unc or my homies are telling me I’m being an ass
That makes me reflect differently than when a woman says it
When men actually care about each other
We want that male to win
We can’t p*ssyfoot in speech
Women don’t understand how we communicate
It’s a nice message for social media
But most women will not allow you to talk their son like that when you know the outcome of his behavior because you’ve been there
And that’s the root of why mentoring is hard in this era
You can’t tell these young nikkas nothing because you know some trout mouth gon come around a try to get buck with you for simply giving information
It’s a huge difference from when my ogs said something and being a young OG trying to tell these kids how life goes
Mommas and aunties let men talk to you
Then
You liable to catch a case or bullet now

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I partnered with my local library and ran some yugioh tournaments for the kids in my hood. I even bought the prizes (free card box) for the winners.

Honestly it was one of the best feelings but I don’t know if that would be considered mentoring.

The lady In the OP is right if you got resources and you can help we should.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah I'm straight, have their pops take care of that :mjgrin:

9aadd319-73dd-4a25-9321-a753be22b890_text.gif

Mentoring can NEVER replace PARENTING! AT all.

Not trying to deter anyone from mentorship because each one teach one, and it is a rewarding experience, but one can only do so much with mentoring.

Last edited:

Problematic Pat

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
My dad was a mentor 15 years ago to a few teenagers and I salute him cause some of them will test your patience and you gotta have thick skin.

Afer that he worked in JOB CORPS for a few years and did his best to turn some of them demonic teenagers around. He always told me crazy stories.

He dealt with all that stress and didn't lose 1 inch of his hairline. :wow:
Worked at Job Corps yikes. That was like a big ass ghetto high school with people from all over the country. STD rates were crazy especially for HIV. The nurses told everyone at an assembly they had one day. I was good on all them hoes after that:hubie:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
The black youth DOES need masculine role models in the community. To instruct and teach them how to control and manage their emotions. Teach them how to keep a masculine frame under pressure. A woman cannot teach a young boy how to be a man that's the job of a father figure/OG figure to train him to prosper in this corrupted society.
That's where father's and uncles come in.

KnickstapeCity

:mjpls:
Daps
Reppin
New York
My dad was a mentor 15 years ago to a few teenagers and I salute him cause some of them will test your patience and you gotta have thick skin.

Afer that he worked in JOB CORPS for a few years and did his best to turn some of them demonic teenagers around. He always told me crazy stories.

He dealt with all that stress and didn't lose 1 inch of his hairline. :wow:
:wow: Your father got a big dikk, breh

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Mentoring young men is literally the most important thing any man can do outside of his direct family responsibilities.

It doesn't have to be pigeonholed into a certain age or a Big Brothers model. Maybe you're best off mentoring young people starting off in the workforce. Or college kids exploring their career options. Maybe coaching high school is what works for you, or middle school. Maybe giving presentations to young kids in elementary school who haven't been ruined by the world yet is your thing. But if you think you have done something in life and have any wisdom at all to pass on, then pass it on. Don't just leave them to flounder and then bytch about how they end up.

Weaver31

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Va
Nah I'm straight, have their pops take care of that :mjgrin:
This isn't a good mentality to have. I would love to be a mentor but have a stressful job and an older mother I'm caring for at times.

But what young black folks need to do is only have as many kids as they can support and that includes financially, mentally, emotionally, etc.

Also black males should mentor the black men in their families. A lot of black men lack the knowledge from the OG uncle types.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
That's where father's and uncles come in.

And not everyone has fathers and uncles. Some young men have fathers and uncles who ain't shyt. Others have fathers who are trying, but they can only do so much due to deficits in their own upbringing and social situation. What are you going to do about them?

In the past, people grew up in community, and there were all sorts of mature male role models around for young men. We've lost that, and too many boys are left adrift if that one father figure isn't there for them. Why not do something to address that?