“Black men, please be a mentor. These boys out here are hurting. They need you.”

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
I'm a little league coach (football/baseball). I along with one of my cousins used to get some of the kids from our old neighborhood together and teach them stuff that we were doing. Mainly handyman stuff changing tires, changing oil, around the house repairs etc. It takes a different type of patience dealing with kids that ain't yours. It's easier if they are respectful and open to learning, but it's hard dealing with rude ass hard headed mfs that get away with murder at home.

Real talk, thank you. I run into so many fellas around the city doing stuff just like that. I feel encouraged every time I see it.

"Nah, he just lives down the way from me...he a knucklehead but I'm tryna work with him"

Because Jah know these lil' anklebiters need the guidance :snoop:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
There should be no single mothers engaging in that conversation.
Why? Seems to me a single mom who realizes their son needs a male mentor is better than the one swearing to god they don’t need a man in their child’s life. Life ain’t nice and neat, men pick up and leave, people break up, mistakes happen, partners die - none of that should mean a woman can’t then seek to find mentors for her sons to help guide areas she can’t

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Of course this thread brought out the dikk heads
:heh:

I’m not gonna say anybody is wrong for not wanting to do this. But to shyt on folks is unnecessary. I used to direct the admissions department at a trade school. A lot of those guys were coming in just looking for some direction. Most of them prolly never had a positive male role model in their lives. So for some of them it meant something to see a black man who came from where they did and could speak like them be in the position I was in. There were always certain ones that I saw some potential in and I’d take them under my wing. Checking up on them making sure they were getting to school on time. always stressing to them that this is the opportunity they need to turn things around. Helping them get jobs thru our placement program when they were done. For many of them it was their first job. For a lot of them it was their first job not working fast food or in some warehouse. I lost count of how many came back several years after graduating just to let me know they just bought their first house or car. Or had just got an engagement ring for their girl. And to thank me for pushing them

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Mentors are the new after school programs. Just another band-aid solution because black people are too afraid to shun & call out the types of people that create unruly children.
Every boy who needs a mentor isn’t some unruly menace, it’s telling that’s all you can conclude about who would benefit from a mentor and why

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
Where are the fathers of their children and why are they not mentoring
These are the fathers, and their mentorship

:lolbron: now if only they choose men like that
Every woman can’t have a man like that. Let’s be reality, the number show how many of us live in poverty, if you in the hood, you gonna procreate with others from the hood and where that hood mentality is pervasive. Should these boys not have contact with more upwardly mobile black men who can expose them to the other options they have in life? Mentors are needed regardless because we have too much generational baggage weighing us down

Last edited: