Black folks, do you consider Charlize Theron African-American?

Daps
people always bring her up to make arguments about her being AA to be annoying, but no one dare suggest a black from europe living in america was a european american.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
So this what you all are doing

- Using continent of origin as an original qualifier (Africa)
- Then to prove your point and ignore logic, compare apples to oranges, and then use countries as a secondary qualifier (America)

I see the point that you all are trying to prove, but you're going about it in the most weak and frivolous matter, a matter that doesn't prove your point.

So you're saying Africa has a continental birth registry correct? And that there are no citizens of African nations, only Africa as a continent?

You're the one who keeps callin her American (a nationality). I'm not working any angle, just stating what you have already said. You're comparing nations and continents.

im not comparing nations and continents...you are

She is African, and she's American.

you're thinking Way too hard over this to make it work for you.

people always bring her up to make arguments about her being AA to be annoying, but no one dare suggest a black from europe living in america was a european american.

Cause many people incorrectly perceive that European=White and African= Black

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State

Which is the whole point. To show that African-American is a vague term to describe black people in America.

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
not talking about a nationality. would you group these people into the european american group along with the other european americans? without putting "afro" or "black" in front either.

Why would you group Tony Parker into the European-American group?

he's French,even competes for France in the Olympics.

the French are Euros...no ways around it

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
not talking about a nationality. would you group these people into the european american group along with the other european americans? without putting "afro" or "black" in front either.

No, they're not European just like she's not African American.

We use countries to describe nationality and continents to describe race/origin. That's why she's not African American or African. She is South African, however.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty

She's NOT African, breh. That would imply that her ancestors can be traced back to Africa. They migrated to Africa from Europe. She's European.

Her nationality, however, is South African. That's the nation she was born in and was/is a citizen of.

Why can't you see the difference between continents and countries?

Swayze

nah trick nahhh
Daps
:snoop:

I'm gonna pose the question again. Why are there no European Americans or Asian Americans or South American Americans?

Have you ever heard any of these terms? No.

The only continent that gets paired with America is African American. This is wrong! These people have nations just like Chinese Americans and Italian Americans have nations.

Charlize is a South African American, not an African American.

The only reason for the term African American is because descendants of slaves are unable to trace their ancestry back to any one nation. As a result, African American is the most accurate term we have.

Charlize isn't in that category.

:what: Umm there are Asian Americans... people use this term all the time

MegaTronBomb!

Daps
Reppin
She's NOT African, breh. That would imply that her ancestors can be traced back to Africa. They migrated to Africa from Europe. She's European.

Her nationality, however, is South African. That's the nation she was born in and was/is a citizen of.

Why can't you see the difference between continents and countries?

i know the difference between continents and countries, you're caught up arguing something i never said.

She is African, the fact she doesn't fit your idea of what an African is doesn't negate that.

why even argue that "your ancestors can be traced back to Africa" point when it's a general agreement that Human Life started in Africa?