Black folks, do you consider Charlize Theron African-American?

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
Lemme hold them e-books

2qn8woz.gif

PM sent

Daps
Reppin
NULL
They use that term when they don't know where the person is from exactly. Calling Jeremy Lin an Asian American would be pretty ignorant. That would mean you don't know he's Chinese American.

That term is used all the time. There's entire courses at every school dedicated to Asian American literature. They have their own associations and support groups, just like African Americans.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
But she is African-American because she comes from the continent of Africa. Her country of origin is South Africa. How hard is it to understand? What Megatron is trying to convey is that the African-American term is a frivolous way of describing black people in this country. Black people here are as native as the Indians. If you're abroad in an African country, I bet you'll have more in common with a white person from America than a black African.

So if she were born in China, and immigrated to the US, would that make her Chinese American?

See how dumb that sounds.

semtex

:)
Daps
send her to Newark and have her say "nikka"...you should arrive at a conclusion rather quickly.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty

Exactly.

Didy you even read your own links? :heh:

Use

In 1995, as part of a review of the Office of Management and Budget's Statistical Policy Directive No. 15 (Race and Ethnic Standards for Federal Statistics and Administrative Reporting), a survey was conducted of census recipients to determine their preferred terminology for the racial/ethnic groups defined in the Directive. For the 'white' group, 'European American' came third, preferred by 2.35% of panel interviewees.[21] The term "European American" is not in popular use in the U.S. among the general public or in the mass media, and the terms "white" or "white American" are commonly used instead.

Asian American is just as ignorant as African American because it generally only refers to East Asians and not Asians as a whole, and is generally only used in an instant of ignorance itself. For example, if you had a Japanese friend you would consider him Japanese American but if you saw a stranger obviously of East Asian decent, but didn't know his country of origin you would call him Asian American, to cover all of East Asia.

This is where the term African American originates from. Ignorance. Since descendants of slaves don't identify with particular nation due to our lost and unknown ancestry.

Charlize Theron is not an African American.

kash10003

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i mean i've run into plenty of black folks that are naturalized citizens that immigrated from Africa that refused to be referred as African American rather than Africans, maybe she considers herself African?