Black drug king pin shows are played out.

Optimus Prime

#AGGIEPRIDE
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC A&T SU, Hornets, Panthers, North Carolina
Its some stuff out there, just no one that stands out like Heathcliff Huxtable or Bernie Mac, but every network has one now
Blackish is still on, about to start its last season
Ced has a show on CBS with T'china Arnold called the The Neigborhood but you have to have some annoying white costars to get on CBS
Keenan has his show on NBC
If you count the Rock, his show features his Black dad a lot
lo key 'This is Us' is a black show. Sterling K. and his family get the best stuff on that show, but they are surrounded by the white family that adopted him
The new Black Wonder Years just got a full season order and folks seem to like that
Batwoman is a Black show. 3 of the 5 main characters are Black

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Nah. They just need to tighten up on their writing, and that comes with experience. Nobody can tell Italians to stop making mafioso flicks, and they're what...~60 years deep into those?

Make your loot and branch off into other things. Prejudiced people aren't going to stop being who they are just because you stopped making a certain kind of movie.

Peruvian Connect

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah. They just need to tighten up on their writing, and that comes with experience. Nobody can tell Italians to stop making mafioso flicks, and they're what...~60 years deep into those?

Make your loot and branch off into other things. Prejudiced people aren't going to stop being who they are just because you stopped making a certain kind of movie.
Every white show isn't about the italian mafia. That's what the thread is about.

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

queen of the south was good :manny:

but I know Mexicans get tired of being type cast in cartel flix as well

MajesticLion

Veteran
Daps
Every white show isn't about the italian mafia. That's what the thread is about.

I used Italian mob flicks as an example to address the idea of "our people being portrayed" a certain kind of way. Italian people - and Irish people, and Chinese people, and any immigrant group you care to name - got to the point they are now in film/wider society by using all of who they are. Criminals included. They all used that money as a base to move on into other things and own their own content, and a significant stake in the wider industry.

This notion that you can cut off a huge segment of your people to play respectability politics to find "acceptance" is stupid in the extreme. That idea is what's played out.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
I made a thread about this a few years ago. 90% of black films fall into one of these categories: a movie about criminality/ struggling to get out the hood trope (having to play basketball to make it out the hood or some random low ranking criminals selling drugs and gangbanging), slave/ civil rights movie (in which in the vast majority of cases the black protaginists are p*ssy af), some movie with a black person (where them being black is the whole premise of the movie; instead of them just being a regular person who happens to be black) or a Tyler Perry style corny romantic comedy. How many black horrors, spy movies, action movies, sci fi, fantasy, thriller, ancient historical movies do you know of?
You forgot a new category “New Black Horror” Jordan Peele inspired black racial horror movies. That tried to eat off “Get Out” but failed. Like Antebellum, New Candyman, and Them

Last edited:

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
The "Black Cinema" section on the Tubi app is either:
-low budget Black drug dealer movies (because selling dope is the only way we can make money),
-movies about cheating couples, or
-church movies
:stopitslime:
Bruh, I'm on Tubi right now watching this indie hood film about a Drug dealing Preacher :mjlol: "I gotta save this Church by any means necessary." :demonic:

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
Last edited:

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs
Blacc shows in America just suffer from poor acting.

I honesty wouldn't mind some of these crime shows if the acting wasn't horrendous. The bad acting is a big reason why alot of these guys can't branch out and do other things

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
Y’all really need to stop with this kind of stuff

We’ve had black superhero,romance,sci-fi,historical shows in the past few years. You guys are the ones that are limiting black shows to 80s dope glorification.
Facts... There's 100 shows and movies you can find on Netflix alone that have none of what OP is talking about. nikkas wanna watch Narcos season 10 though