Black drug king pin shows are played out.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
It’s played out because it’s the same generic shyt. I’d like to see a black gangsta show more in line with prestige television shows like The Sopranos. Something where it’s more than just gangsta shyt crafted for social media viral moments. Give me deeper characters to debate and enjoy.

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Until Netflix releases numbers, all I can tell you is how nikkas operate (and you can take that however you want).

I wish they were paying me so I can fund a show yall will make 100 excuses to downplay or avoid :rudy:

I think the budget cuts said everything there was to say about Netflix's plans to keep AC going after S2.
Lupin was a success tho :ehh:

OVER

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
GA
It’s played out because it’s the same generic shyt. I’d like to see a black gangsta show more in line with prestige television shows like The Sopranos. Something where it’s more than just gangsta shyt crafted for social media viral moments. Give me deeper characters to debate and enjoy.
Yeah, this how I see things too. I actually like gangster shows and movies but I don't have many that I actually fukk with like that because it's mostly all flash with style and zero substance. They produce characters who're accidently unlikable terminators without going into the phycology or giving you an analysis of their character they're just that nikka and it's wack.

Cloutius Maximus

with the aid of the Funk...
Daps
Reppin
Altadena, California
i think one problem is the consolidation of media companies in the last few decades. Now you got a handful of companies making all of the mainstream content and you need that mainstream money if you want a non-tacky looking sci-fi, fantasy, spy-thriller etc. tv show / film. Can't expect a Tubi or TVone original to look like Game of Thrones. If you want to overcome the lack of funds you need stellar writing, which leads to problem two...

Black entertainment produced in America suffers from the same problem as white entertainment: rampant nepotism. As a recently posted article breaks down, it's mostly upper class black folk with connections writing, producing and directing these black tv shows / films. Most of them aren't that talented but they want to be in the industry and daddy's money and connects makes it happen. Even worse in our case it's usually c00ns and wenches that get ahead, the real ones get pushed out. Then you add the deleterious effects of social media on young people's attention span and the possible negative outcomes in regards to creative output...not looking good. :francis:

voltronblack

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Cloutius Maximus here the article your talking about
Who Actually Gets to Create Black Pop Culture? ❧ Current Affairs
“You see, there were two Harlems. There were those who lived in Sugar Hill and there was the Hollow, where we lived. There was a great divide between the black people on the Hill and us. I was just a ragged, funky black shoeshine boy and was afraid of the people on the Hill, who, for their part, didn’t want to have anything to do with me.”
James Baldwin interviewed by Julius Lester, the New York Times Book Review, May 27, 1984

“You got 1 percent of the population in America who owns 41 percent of the wealth… but within the black community, the top 1 percent of black folk have over 70 percent of the wealth. So that means you got a lot of precious Jamals and Letitias who are told to live vicariously through the lives of black celebrities so that it’s all about ‘representation’ rather than substantive transformation… ‘you gotta black president, all y’all must be free.’”

– Cornel West interviewed by Joe Rogan, July 24, 2019

In December 2014, Chris Rock said of Hollywood:

“It’s a white industry. Just as the NBA is a Black industry. I’m not even saying it’s a bad thing. It just is. And the Black people they do hire tend to be the same person. That person tends to be female and that person tends to be Ivy League.”

Rock published his thoughts as the second wave of protests was ending in Ferguson. By January, #OscarsSoWhite was issuing a clarion call for popular culture to do something, and six months later, the culture’s victories were being tabulated. Essence Magazine dedicated its May issue to five Black women who were said to be “changing the game” in Hollywood: Shonda Rhimes (Grey’s Anatomy), Ava DuVernay (When They See Us, Selma), Debbie Allen (A Different World), Issa Rae (Insecure), and Mara Brock Akil (Girlfriends). Between them, at least three attended private high schools, at least three had parents with college degrees, and all of them attended college themselves—Stanford, Northwestern, Dartmouth, and UCLA are on the list [1]. Had the Essence article come out a few years later, Courtney A. Kemp (Power) would have assuredly made an appearance; Kemp received her bachelor’s at Brown University and her master’s at Columbia, attending not one but two Ivy League schools.

To go back to the 2020 National Book Award nominees for a moment, three of the authors were Black and two were Black women. Deesha Philyaw graduated from Yale, and Brit Bennet from Stanford. Jesmyn Ward—a Black woman, and the only woman to twice win the NBA for fiction (2011, 2017)—attended Stanford and then the University of Michigan, the latter considered a sort of public Ivy. In 2020, The New Yorker had nine visibly Black contributors (of which seven are men). All nine graduated from four-year colleges, and more than half gained their credentials at elite universities [2]. Based on publicly available biographies, compared to their non-Black peers, Black contributors had a higher rate of Ivy League attendance and were twice as likely to be college faculty.

Most of the time, the assumptions that can be made about the backgrounds of white creators can be safely applied to their Black counterparts. Any time an elite education appears in a Black creator’s biography, it is likely that it was preceded by exorbitant privilege. The writer Colson Whitehead—born Arch Colson Chipp Whitehead—was raised a wealthy Manhattanite. His family owned a home in the Hamptons, and he attended Trinity Preparatory School which sends nearly half of its students into the Ivy League in exchange for a tuition of $58,500 annually. Whitehead graduated from Harvard in 1991 and went on to win a National Book Award before becoming the Pulitzer’s only back-to-back winner in fiction. Pop culture wunderkind Roxane Gay has written memoirs, New York Times Op-Eds, and Marvel Comics. Gay was, until her junior year, educated at Yale and attended Phillips Exeter before that; the latter is the kind of uber elite New England preparatory school fictionalized in Dead Poets Society. Tuition for students boarding at Phillips today is slightly less than $60,000 per year, though a deal of $44,960 per annum is offered to young persons content with life as mere—and lowly—day students.

Above-average privilege, particularly in terms of income, is the norm for successful creators both white and Black, but the ignorance that obscures the economic privilege of the latter group provides a bitter irony when you’re a formerly impoverished Black person operating in a highly educated milieu. The only time that someone recommends Colson Whitehead or Roxanne Gay to me—really, the only time any Black creator outside of music is recommended to me by a white person—is when the person I am talking to learns that I am from the Black underclass. Being Black and from poverty, I am what white Americans imagine they are learning about and “standing in solidarity” with when they imbibe popular culture’s Black offerings. But it never occurs to them that Whitehead and Gay come from a very different class to begin with, and are not necessarily standing in real solidarity with me.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
This. If The Cosby Show, A Different World, Roc, Black Lightning or any other show that featured Black people in a positive light aired today, cats would call those shows corny.

Amen too :mjpls:

And if those shows are corny by today's standards, that's exactly why we are doomed.

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Damn so we defended Tyler Perry corny ass for milking the church going romcon loving crowd because he was a brother getting money. But now that 50 found his niche we all of sudden need to change it up? We got Jordan Peele out here too and I feel like we are even more critical of him than we are of his white counterparts.

How about this, maybe if we stopped glorifying sports and music and got our kids into film school then we can get some diversity in Hollywood. Sometimes it ain’t always the evil white man holding back.

intra vires

Glory to Michigan
Daps
Reppin
The Catholepistemiad
Love Life was the best Black led show this year hands down. A normal breh and his life that is more relatable to a lot of us on here, than a ton of these drug kingpin and ratchet shows. The thread on here is less than 3 pages.

:francis:

I want to see more shows like this. A balance is always welcome.

It's some gems out there, but they're usually lowkey. You got "Johnson" and "Saints & Sinners" on (BounceTV), and "The South Side" on (HBO Max)

Bounce - Johnson

Bounce - Saints & Sinners

:ehh: Y'all posted them so I don't have to.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I agree
I haven’t even bothered with the BMF or Godfather of Harlem shows:francis:
I only watched the finale of Tariq’s show
Just not interested :russell:

In my opinion, Godfather of Harlem just uses the gangsters as a "hook" to get people watching. Its really the "Adam Clayton Powell and Malcolm X" show in its heart.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
This is something I definitely notice with how tv/film portrays black leads these days. A breh always gotta be a criminal in some way, shape or form.

Compared with the plethora of white shows where the premise is about a white agent, doctor, lawyer, detective etc. Hell, they even make the techys and autistic genius characters strong, charismatic, dominant leads that are seemingly unflawed.

Billions is a perfect example. How dope would it have been if Axe Capital was an all black company, and David Axlerod was a breh. Those type of companies do exist, but they don’t fit with the culture in this country.

Instead the two main people of color are subordinates. One is a bedwench thot, and the other is a gay bedwench thot. :snoop:

I'd like
Black corporate shows regarding tech startups, stock market, legacy companies
black espionage shows
black explorer shows where they travel the world to discover things/places. which actually did happen in real life so they can draw from that or make a character/story with similar experiences

Looks different although seems kinda Empireish...

Never really watched an OWN show before tho :manny: