Black drug king pin shows are played out.

UncleTomFord15

Veteran
Daps
I made a thread about this a few years ago. 90% of black films fall into one of these categories: a movie about criminality/ struggling to get out the hood trope (having to play basketball to make it out the hood or some random low ranking criminals selling drugs and gangbanging), slave/ civil rights movie (in which in the vast majority of cases the black protaginists are p*ssy af), some movie with a black person (where them being black is the whole premise of the movie; instead of them just being a regular person who happens to be black) or a Tyler Perry style corny romantic comedy. How many black horrors, spy movies, action movies, sci fi, fantasy, thriller, ancient historical movies do you know of?

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Keeping it 100 though, yall say this, they eventually make what you ask for, then yall don't watch em.

Example: Altered Carbon season 2 was the Black sci-fi show nikkas begged for for years...it drops...not a whole lot of commotion about it...show gets cancelled sometime after.

Yall got to show up too.

BLACK MAN WAS JUST A INTERCHANGLEBLE SLEEVE THO.

HE WAS PROBABLY GONNA
BE A HISPANIC IN THE NEXT SEASON.
:devil:
:evil:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
I was just thinking of this. 50 is releasing cookie cutter shows like this all the time and it’s overkill. It’s like the overkill with the slave movies. At some point it just gets numb and I don’t care
I'd even say the whole slave movie thing was overkill.

But yeah it's real interesting.

Ahadi

Veteran
Daps
Actors gotta take their money to Africa. Big production companies out there and can control the narrative.x

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Keeping it 100 though, yall say this, they eventually make what you ask for, then yall don't watch em.

Example: Altered Carbon season 2 was the Black sci-fi show nikkas begged for for years...it drops...not a whole lot of commotion about it...show gets cancelled sometime after.

Yall got to show up too.
Bad example.

We'll just ignore how the budget mysteriously got cut after the visually spectacular firs season. :mjpls:

Plus Mackie's role was always going to be temporary since switching bodies was the gimmi

RennisDeynolds

I am untethered and my rage knows no bounds!
Daps
Reppin
Paddys Pub
The worst thing about these shows is that you got the masses juelzing about how they are prestige worthy...they aren't on that level :sas2:. When other type shows are made with black cast you hear "oh that's the Shea butter bullshyt" :sas1: But those are the actual high quality writing/acting/the works

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Billions is a perfect example. How dope would it have been if Axe Capital was an all black company, and David Axlerod was a breh. Those type of companies do exist, but they don’t fit with the culture in this country.

Instead the two main people of color are subordinates. One is a bedwench thot, and the other is a gay bedwench thot. :snoop:

Billions is loosely based off of Steve Cohen.

As far as the topic goes, OP is right. It's the only thing that networks will entertain though. How many stories about drug dealers and crime can you make?

Monoblock

Smoooth
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Been saying this. Never watched any of these newer low hanging fruit shows. These networks can't get enough of it though so nikkas gonna do whatever they can to get paid which is why we need more black directors with better visions that can portray us in a better light. shyt is tired.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound

Yall got to show up too.
Black Lightning only made 4 seasons:francis: