Black drug king pin shows are played out.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And if the season with the Black sleeve got the most views and more acclaim, what message does that send?

But once again...more excuses than support.
So a production company guts the budget and promotion to a show and you blame whatever fraction of the show's fandom that is black (AC was never a black show in the first place) for not pushing the show to be a success anyway after the white fans clearly abandoned it? :gucci: Is netflix paying you to say this dumb shyt?

I watched the damn season twice and Mackie or not it was severely undercooked.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
So a production company guts the budget and promotion to a show and you blame whatever fraction of the show's fandom that is black (AC was never a black show in the first place) for not pushing the show to be a success anyway after the white fans clearly abandoned it? :gucci: Is netflix paying you to say this dumb shyt?

I watched the damn season twice and Mackie or not it was severely undercooked.
Until Netflix releases numbers, all I can tell you is how nikkas operate (and you can take that however you want).

I wish they were paying me so I can fund a show yall will make 100 excuses to downplay or avoid :rudy:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
giphy.gif

I used Italian mob flicks as an example to address the idea of "our people being portrayed" a certain kind of way. Italian people - and Irish people, and Chinese people, and any immigrant group you care to name - got to the point they are now in film/wider society by using all of who they are. Criminals included. They all used that money as a base to move on into other things and own their own content, and a significant stake in the wider industry.

This notion that you can cut off a huge segment of your people to play respectability politics to find "acceptance" is stupid in the extreme. That idea is what's played out.

mag357

Superstar
Daps
People be fascinated by stupid shyt...

I said before people fantasize about living them kinda lives.
Women say dream about being strippers and men day dream about being kingpins...

These shows will always be greenlit.

I can Proudly say, I've never seen any of it

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I was just thinking of this. 50 is releasing cookie cutter shows like this all the time and it’s overkill. It’s like the overkill with the slave movies. At some point it just gets numb and I don’t care

Not to sidetrack the thread, but 50's style of business is to bite off other black people's ideas, and eat off of it until everyone is fed up about it. The stereotypical roles are redundant and tired.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
This is something I definitely notice with how tv/film portrays black leads these days. A breh always gotta be a criminal in some way, shape or form.

Compared with the plethora of white shows where the premise is about a white agent, doctor, lawyer, detective etc. Hell, they even make the techys and autistic genius characters strong, charismatic, dominant leads that are seemingly unflawed.

And the sick part about all of that? Those stereotypical roles bleed onto real life associations, and even dating. Nowadays, a lot of people that consume social media and regular media, trying to find brehs that "look" like they do dirt to get social clout :martin:

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I agree, though I enjoy black actors getting opportunities. It’s time for more.

We need more black spy films, action, corporate dramas, ancient war shows, etc. Well written, not the average BS that is spout out that are aunties watch.

Hell I would take a black vampire show that isn't too corny. Idc, just need more variety

I sad this back in the early 00s, and people gave me the :dahell: look.

KingCesar

All Star
Daps
I’m of two minds about this kind of thing. I agree that black entertainment needs more diversity.

But I love a good black crime drama and I love that drug shyt (so long as it’s done well). I enjoy Snowfall and Godfather of Harlem, they’re two of the only shows on TV these days that I actually make time to watch. The Wire is one of my all-time favorites. I love the anti-heroes, the plots, the violence, and some of the messages they get across with it. So long as the show looks, I’ll always tune in.

I have zero interest in a family sitcom like Black-ish or something like Insecure. I like that they’re there, for a different representation of black people, but I don’t watch them. They just don’t interest me. :yeshrug:

kej718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So what shows are out there that we need to be watching
Atlanta
Luther
Boondocks (When they come back)

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
Love Life was the best Black led show this year hands down. A normal breh and his life that is more relatable to a lot of us on here, than a ton of these drug kingpin and ratchet shows. The thread on here is less than 3 pages.

:francis:

I want to see more shows like this. A balance is always welcome.