Bitter Black Men: redefining manhood (long read)

GrindtooFilthy

World Class SuperVillain
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA, CT, NH
True, trust is a huge issue. It goes back to fear.

We don't trust people because we fear that they may hurt us or do us wrong. We can't control how others act, only how we react.

One the other hand, taking risks and getting out of your comfort zone is how you grow. So you have to trust yourself to know which risks are worth taking and if thing go wrong, just learn from it. Easier said than done, obviously.
i actually have huge trust issues

it can take me from anywhere from 3 months to a year to open to a single person, i'm working on it but constantly coming across a$$holes makes it tough

CinnaSlim

Queen of Swords
Daps
Reppin
East of Anywhere
too late for me...my spirit been died years ago...i dont i could ever go back to the person i used to be.....im just a shell waiting for death
It's never too late. You're just in a deeper hole that you have to get out of. If you think you can, you can. If you say you can't, you can't. Either way, appreciate every little step of progress. It builds momentum and get the ball rolling to do even greater things.

Knuckles Red

<3<3<3
Daps
IMO, Black American Males are emotionally stunted because of the society they live in. Theyre usually on the recieving end of some bullshyt that they could not control so the natural response is insensitivity.. Why give a fukk about your feelings if my dad is doing 30 on a mandatory minimum? The list goes on. This insensitivity leads to a disaffectiveness and cruelty which plagues segments of that community. It even plays out on The Coli. The Black men here are especially cruel to one another.

preach3.gif

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's never too late. You're just in a deeper hole that you have to get out of. If you think you can, you can. If you say you can't, you can't. Either way, appreciate every little step of progress. It builds momentum and get the ball rolling to do even greater things.
naw im done.....i can still function but ill never be "normal" again....i know to too much, seen too much

ZoeGod

I’m from Brooklyn a place where stars are born.
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn,NY
They should have let you let it out when you was a kid, parents should always let kids work through their emotions and help the kid understand why they feel the way they do, it builds character.

The danger is when you wait until you are an adult to let it, you pretty much have an emotional breakdown or nervous breakdown.

Last thing anyone needs is excuses or to place blame on slavery or white supremacy, you need answers not excuses.

Its almost like saying we are inferior, when this happens to anyone who has poor upbringing. You think those wild ass Italians from Jersey Shore are a picture of perfect mental health?
To be honest my pops never really taught us how to handle our emotion. They only thing hebdrilled in our minds is that as men we have to show very little emotion and toughen up because the world despises the black man. I believe he is right. I am a man i cannot be an emotional bytch infront of my women or friends. The world is cold and ruthless. So i have pent up alot of stuff to the point i am almost cold and callous. Alot of my exes complain i never open up. I just flat out refuse to do that cuz that shyt is weak.

BujuBoombastic

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My father raised me with nothing but tough loving, rarely any positive reinforcement..... It helped raise me into the great man I am today , but it also turned me into an emotionless person at times. I have struggled with that my whole life.

This.

Pops always raised mi with tough love. If I had a problem with a bully, girl, money, people, he always tell mi to man up and stop running away from my fears. I honor my father though out my years of growing. I had to prove it to him. It was not easy growing up. It can take a toll on you physically and mentality.

Sometimes a man want to express how he really feels with another person without being judged. Mane, I remember when I reached my breaking point, that I released all my negative energy. I was angry and sad. Told my pops and he told mi, " you're alive right?" "You're still standing right"? "Stop whining and keep pushing". After that conversation I never talk to him about my struggles. Just had to fight and move on.