THROWDOWN TUESDAYS: TOP 100 YEARS - SPECIAL EDITION

• '95 NOTORIOUS B.I.G.

• '99 JAY-Z

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
What rap artist had their own hip hop clothing line then? Or restaurant?

they were all chasing phat farm breh.
technically, we can go back to Play, who was designing leathers for kid n play and other artists and had his own store for it.

puff was the 1st with a big time branded restaurant, but I doubt he was the 1st one with a restaurant period.

brehs, ALOT of these rappers had aspirations for doing a lot of this stuff. not just biggie or 2pac. the difference with those guys is that theres a new article or write-up about them and their plans every week, because they died. that doesn't mean they were the first rappers with their ideas. it doesn't mean their ideas would've come to fruition either.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
they were all chasing phat farm breh.
technically, we can go back to Play, who was designing leathers for kid n play and other artists and had his own store for it.

puff was the 1st with a big time branded restaurant, but I doubt he was the 1st one with a restaurant period.

brehs, ALOT of these rappers had aspirations for doing a lot of this stuff. not just biggie or 2pac. the difference with those guys is that theres a new article or write-up about them and their plans every week, because they died. that doesn't mean they were the first rappers with their ideas. it doesn't mean their ideas would've come to fruition either.

The difference with Big & alot of these other rappers is the guys in his inner circle (Puff & Jay) ran with the plans he had for himself. These other rappers might've had ideas but they didn't have the clout or capital to do it. Big was already making moves to do those things. He was already trying to establish Brooklyn Mint before Sean John/Rocawear ever existed. Puff opened Justin's emulating Big. Big was looking & playing the long game. It's the reason he was trying to get his publishing back because he saw the bigger picture & was getting his finances in order.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
posted this shyt in dat best rapper alive thread a year ago

1995_o0c32r.jpg

as far as singles/hit songs goes...
whether its da streets; in da clubs ; at parties ; videos on tv/cable or the all most inportant factor from dat era 'radio play' -biggie had the best year in the history of hip hop

feb 20, 1995

feb 20 1995

mar 21, 1995

mar 27, 1995

may 30, 1995

july 20, 1995

sept 3, 1995

sept 3, 1995

nov 14, 1995

dec 26, 1995

this is the nail in da coffin

hardest song of all time - early '95

considered the overall number 1 song of all time - summer of '95

raw

GOAT year by da GOAT rapper :banderas:

/Thread

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
The difference with Big & alot of these other rappers is the guys in his inner circle (Puff & Jay) ran with the plans he had for himself. These other rappers might've had ideas but they didn't have the clout or capital to do it. Big was already making moves to do those things. He was already trying to establish Brooklyn Mint before Sean John/Rocawear ever existed. Puff opened Justin's emulating Big. Big was looking & playing the long game. It's the reason he was trying to get his publishing back because he saw the bigger picture & was getting his finances in order.

there were plenty of rappers with more clout & capital than biggie, that didn't get to do what they wanted breh.

just because he died, doesn't mean that everything was gonna magically go his way just because he lived breh. I mean, come on, dude's money wasn't even str8 like that.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
So yall didn't hate that jiggy shyt back in the day? :whiteparadise:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
there were plenty of rappers with more clout & capital than biggie, that didn't get to do what they wanted breh.

just because he died, doesn't mean that everything was gonna magically go his way just because he lived breh. I mean, come on, dude's money wasn't even str8 like that.

If they had the clout & capital they would've have done it before Big. And let's be real, not many rappers were eating that well before this time. Very few were making that kind of money. All you have to do is glimpse at Puff & Jay to get an idea of where he would be. Nothing is 100% but I have no doubt Big would be living comfortably & seeing the results of the hard work he put in.

kingofnyc

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Boogie Down BX
BREHS!!!!

all of this stuff was going on in the game before biggie, puff & jay.

and foxy wasn't jay's artist. if anything, jay would be foxy's protégé.

:dahell: before biggie ??? :dahell:

lil cease.....
name me one rapper - that put on his lil homie whom that lil homie wasn't even a rapper to begin with

lil kim.....
beside cube/yo yo, name me a rapper that put on a solo female rapper
BTW - cube/yo yo was still a bit different from biggie/kim (
yo yo was a solo artist before she linked up with cube & she was signed to a record label that had nothing to do with cube, she basically was on her own) while kim wasnt a artist & was signed to biggie label making her(lil kim) his artist

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
If they had the clout & capital they would've have done it before Big. And let's be real, not many rappers were eating that well before this time. Very few were making that kind of money. All you have to do is glimpse at Puff & Jay to get an idea of where he would be. Nothing is 100% but I have no doubt Big would be living comfortably & seeing the results of the hard work he put in.

by that logic, big would've got it done already before '97.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
:dahell: before biggie ??? :dahell:

lil cease.....
name me one rapper - that put on his lil homie whom that lil homie wasn't even a rapper to begin with

lil kim.....
beside cube/yo yo, name me a rapper that put on a solo female rapper
BTW - cube/yo yo was still a bit different from biggie/kim (
yo yo was a solo artist before she linked up with cube & she was signed to a record label that had nothing to do with cube, she basically was on her own) while kim wasnt a artist & was signed to biggie label making her(lil kim) his artist

I wasn't even gonna mention ice cube

just off the top of my head, and these prolly aren't even the 1st to do it either:
MC Hammer
E-40
master p
bone thugs n harmony

might as well throw eazy-e in the mix since mc ren was his bul's lil brother that could rap.

biggie aint even have a label. that was Un's company.

and jay didn't do the "make rap stars out of the homies" thing. the closest example would be bleek, but I think bleek was just a kid from marcy that jay took under his wing, cuz he could rap.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Didn't I say he was getting his finances in order. And he never got a chance to reap the financial benefits of LAD

but you also said other rappers didn't have the clout or capital to pull it off.
is it oochi wally wally or is it one mic?

and the financial benefits from LAD wouldn't have been what they were, had he lived. in fact, he would've lost a lot of popularity for that album. lets be real.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
but you also said other rappers didn't have the clout or capital to pull it off.
is it oochi wally wally or is it one mic?

and the financial benefits from LAD wouldn't have been what they were, had he lived. in fact, he would've lost a lot of popularity for that album. lets be real.

You're confused. I told you from the jump he was getting his finances in order yet you misunderstood or just didn't comprehend what I said. So even though his finances weren't right he was still making moves & putting pieces in place for those plans. What point do you have? LAD was gonna he huge regardless of his death. Had he reaped the benefits of that album he would've put more money into his ventures point blank. You're in denial about how successful he would've been. Had he been alive to promote, tour, & do videos there's no telling how successful the album would've been

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
You're confused. I told you from the jump he was getting his finances in order yet you misunderstood or just didn't comprehend what I said. So even though his finances weren't right he was still making moves & putting pieces in place for those plans. What point do you have? LAD was gonna he huge regardless of his death. Had he reaped the benefits of that album he would've put more money into his ventures point blank. You're in denial about how successful he would've been. Had he been alive to promote, tour, & do videos there's no telling how successful the album would've been

you can say the bolded about a ton of rappers. what makes biggie so different? because he died?

LAD would've done art of war/wu-forever numbers if biggie lived.

that's no chump change, but still.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
you can say the bolded about a ton of rappers. what makes biggie so different? because he died?

LAD would've done art of war/wu-forever numbers if biggie lived.

that's no chump change, but still.

Biggie was the face of rap BEFORE he died. You can't apply that to other rappers. That's what sets him apart from other his peers & contemporaries. And he had these plans in motion which was taken by nikkas in his inner circle. They rode that wave & benefited from his death