• '95 NOTORIOUS B.I.G.

• '99 JAY-Z

• TIE

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Nostalgia aside, this is Jay-Z easily.

Hip Hop in 95 was still finding itself in the mainstream. By 1999 you already had the Death Row run, Bad Boy's 97-98 run, DMX in 98...Jay-Z in 99.

I would say the market was about 2x the size in 1999-2000 than what it was in 1995. Brands were really being established, crossing into mainstream culture with apparel, sneakers etc.

yea this is true

jay has the advantage cuz of that - but that makes biggie's run look kinda stronger. at least in the eyes of people that view this as a close call like myself.

man this is tough.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
yea this is true

jay has the advantage cuz of that - but that makes biggie's run look kinda stronger. at least in the eyes of people that view this as a close call like myself.

man this is tough.
It's not tough at all IMO. I was a young kid in NYC and felt the impact even back then when Biggie was alive...it was big.

Jay-Z established himself an empire that started in 1999. He was bigger in the city than Biggie ever was. I know this is hard for people to accept, but it is the truth.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
It's not tough at all IMO. I was a young kid in NYC and felt the impact even back then when Biggie was alive...it was big.

Jay-Z established himself an empire that started in 1999. He was bigger in the city than Biggie ever was. I know this is hard for people to accept, but it is the truth.

:whoa: I already voted for jay. :yeshrug:

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
Big's run was historic. He laid the blueprint for all rappers & his presence is still felt. You couldn't go anywhere in 95 & not hear him & this was pre internet. Jay tremendously benefited from his death & copied a lot of his ideas. Don't get me wrong, Jay's time was coming but he rode that Biggie wave when hip hop was hurting & looking for someone to carry that torch & he did a phenomenal job. It doesn't take away from the foundation laid by Big & his historic run in the short amount of time he was on this earth.

Last edited:

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
It's pretty close but I would say BIG in 95. Some of you younger cats gotta realize that there really wasn't internet like that, BIGs buzz was really off the strength of his songs/guest verses, if Wu Tang was the CPR that kept NY hip-hop from dying then Biggie was the electric shock that got it going. I mean Biggie was spreading like wildfire.

Knicksman20

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NY
:martin:

biggie putting on his real lil homie from around da way (ain't a cease ---> bleek)
biggie putting out a female rapper & writing her rhymes (ain't a kim ---> foxy/amil)

The clothing line & opening a restaurant was also Big's ideas too

soulfuljah

All Star
Daps
I gotta say Biggie because back in 99, this man run was running the game.

If we look at big picture, we can say Jay because that was the beginning of what's now, but it was all X from 98-01.

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
No Big's. And Puff copied Big's ideas too

:martin:

biggie putting on his real lil homie from around da way (ain't a cease ---> bleek)
biggie putting out a female rapper & writing her rhymes (ain't a kim ---> foxy/amil)

BREHS!!!!

all of this stuff was going on in the game before biggie, puff & jay.

and foxy wasn't jay's artist. if anything, jay would be foxy's protégé.

Last edited:

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
I gotta say Biggie because back in 99, this man run was running the game.

If we look at big picture, we can say Jay because that was the beginning of what's now, but it was all X from 98-01.

ehh

in fairness

biggie wasn't running the game when he was out either.