BenchPress

Daps
Reppin
NULL
A decent amount of ppl at my gym can put up at least 225 but its a musclehead gym, it doesnt seem that special to me anymore but as mentioned its relative to weight and size (big ppl have a much shorter range of motion then lean nyggas)

I get to 225 for a few reps at 175 (1 inch off chest bc too much pressure on my shoulders, unspotted as well)

Reid2Achieve

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I'd say if you can rep 225 then you're probably in the top 15%. If you can even max 315 then you're in the top 3%.

With that said, at the gyms I've been to 225 is not too uncommon. Saw someone repping 315 yesterday :wow:

I'm 6' ~200lbs and I can rep at least 250 3x8 right now, and last time I maxed I got up 295. I rep 100lb dumbbells pretty easily and have gotten up to 120s 8x

Beer Drinker

Blue Moon Cappuccino Oatmeal Stout
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm actually surprised that a lot of folks don't see 225+ regularly at their gyms. 315 is routine at Bally's

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
:yeshrug: i guess that just depends on what we're calling an average person. give me any 18-30 year old male with no physical deformities or limitations or whatever....let him lift and eat with me 5 days a week...he'll no doubt be able to lift 225lbs for one rep in less than 6 months max.

anyone who has been lifting consistently for awhile that cant lift that much has to be doing something wrong. i think your average person CAN lift that much after a few months...but most people DONT because most people lift or eat incorrectly.

i remember when i was in high school we took weight training in 10th grade. out of the 20 guys in my class no one had ever lifted weights before. most people had a 1 rep max of about 95lbs during the first week. by the time the semester ended (like 18 weeks later) most people had a 1 rep max around 185lbs. and these were 14-15 year old boys with little to no control over their diet. those were actually my exact numbers at the time, which is why i remember it so vividly.

:whoa:
This is the flaw in your logic.
Boys in high school are a lot different than grown ass men that have never worked out.
Your body is a lot different when youre HS age. You can adjust and grow much quicker. People that played sports in high school keep that foundation they created during those years for the rest of their life (which is why a guy who played football years ago can just lose some weight when he's older and look pretty good). Gaining muscle at the age of 15/16 is much different than someone at 30 who has never touched a weight.

I bet you couldnt take a skinny computer nerd type dude at the age of 30 and have him putting up 225 in 6 months...that shyt aint happening.

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
I dont respect a big bench if thats all you can do. Couple of older dudes at my gym, old bros... they bench big, but they barbell row like 90lbs, quarter squat and deadlift 1 plate. I've talked to some of em too, lot of knee injuries, back injuries etc. But they can bench 275-315 for reps

Some other dudes get big weight up and down but they just bounce it

I respect good form and balance. Rather see a dude take 135 to the chest slow than bounce 225

Ultimately though everyone is on their own journey so its a lil silly to "rank" people on their numbers.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
Some of you are real delusional when it comes to this kind of shyt. Dudes from around the work place that claim they want to start working out and come do a session with me normally start off benching 95lbs are less. And these are grown ass men. Most have to warm up with just the bar. To think the average 25+ year old male can get 135 up at least once is a pipe dream. I'd bet the house against that.

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Some of you are real delusional when it comes to this kind of shyt. Dudes from around the work place that claim they want to start working out and come do a session with me normally start off benching 95lbs are less. And these are grown ass men. Most have to warm up with just the bar. To think the average 25+ year old male can get 135 up at least once is a pipe dream. I'd bet the house against that.

Typo on the 135?

The ADD

Old Master
Daps
Nope, I think if we pulled 100 average males off the street maybe 10-15 would be able to get 135lb up once.

:lupe: Never thought about it in that regard. I feel like a bytch just being in that 190-200 5-8 rep range.

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
:lupe: Never thought about it in that regard. I feel like a bytch just being in that 190-200 5-8 rep range.

Breh its :snoop:

You look at some of these dudes and think there is no way they can't get it up at least once. Hell just last week I had a dude that weighed about 280-300 and was atleast 5'11 that could only bench 65 lbs breh, and after one set of 10 he was struggling on the second set to the point I had to spot him. Granted a lot of them aren't to that extreme but I would set the average at 95lbs before I set it at 135lbs.

KOOL-AID

I Pitty Da Fool
Supporter
Daps
6^2 180 (give or take some pounds) I notice when ever I bench press starting from scratch, I add weight weekly to my overall max and make nice gains, but then I start struggling with shyt I use to be able to comfortably do. It seems like I reach a peak then drop in strength, idk what to do? Current max is 205lb and I barley hit it once, 175 and up is challenging for me, but a month earlier it was easy:sadbron:

TLR Is Mental Poison

The Coli Is Not For You
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Opposite Of Elliott Wilson's Mohawk
6^2 180 (give or take some pounds) I notice when ever I bench press starting from scratch, I add weight weekly to my overall max and make nice gains, but then I start struggling with shyt I use to be able to comfortably do. It seems like I reach a peak then drop in strength, idk what to do? Current max is 205lb and I barley hit it once, 175 and up is challenging for me, but a month earlier it was easy:sadbron:
How are you eating/sleeping

Whats your routine like

How consistent are you with all this shyt