BenchPress

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
But what does being tall got to do with how long/short your arms are?

I'm short but got long arms for my height, And I don't care about benching... Just like there are cats who are taller with short arms with good bench... Just like there are ordinary length tall/short people with good lifts. .

I'm just going to respectfully disagree. The weight doesn't change, just the distance depending on your arm length, form, grip width, effort, etc

Like I said, being tall/short has nothing to do with why YOUR lifts are weak or strong. Don't cut someone else's hard work short because your bench or other lifts aren't up to theirs

And what's funny is that I haven't seen many short lifters benching crazy ass weight... It's usually taller/stocky dudes.
it has nothing to do with height

im specifically speaking about arm length, its purely body mechanics that im explaining.

height DOES effect someone squatting though(femur length and positioning of center of gravity)

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
weighted dips make for a better look chest you say :patrice:

gonna have to try that

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
it has nothing to do with height

im specifically speaking about arm length, its purely body mechanics that im explaining.

height DOES effect someone squatting though(femur length and positioning of center of gravity)
Oh ok. I agree with that

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
:skip: nikkas can be mad sensitive when it comes to the bench press...

I'm 5'9", weigh around 177-180 (11-13% bf, keeps going back n forth :beli:) and I bench 225 on the regular. I'm actually moving on to 245 as my go to reps. Most I've hit was 300 lbs, but that was a good while ago. I also been lifting for a few years. I'm the type that can bench pretty good weight for 10-12 reps, but struggle hitting the HEAVY shyt for like 1-2 reps. I just need to get more comfortable when I try to find my max weight.

A lot of it has to do with how dudes are built. Some guys can just bench better than some. It can be that simple :manny:. Technique goes a long way, too.

This is the truth, some guys are just naturally stronger. I always carried a lot of weight and put on muscle easy. Back in high school I played basketball for hours a day and that was the only working out I would do. Yet my arms were cut like lifted all the time, even to the point the football coach started hardcore recruiting me to play on the squad. Once I got my current job one of my friends from work was a huge weight lifter. Cut like hell. Eventually found out he was on steroids but he had that physique where women would just stop him to feel on his muscles. Even then I barely touched weights ever. I hit the gym with him and he was shocked that I was lifting damn near as much as him. Difference being I couldn't lift for nearly as long as him or nearly as many sets. I weighed around 235 at that time.

The one time in my life I maxed out was dumb as hell. It was the night Lakers won the title in 2009. We was all drinking and at halftime went out to the garage of dude holding a party. Everybody was trying to see how much they can lift. I got 295 without too much of a struggle. And this was putting the bar on my chest and letting it rest for a few seconds before lifting it up. So we jumped to 325 to see if I could lift that. Somebody told me I shouldn't let it rest on my chest but to bounce it right back up. While trying to do that just heard a cracking sound in my shoulder and was all fukked up for about a month after that.

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
Back in the day the Bench was my Achille's heel, the 225 (2PPS) milestone eluded me for the better part of 4 weeks every time I tried to rep! It wasn't until this old head introduced me to some MOHP (military overhead press) & weighted dips that things really took off on the bench. Nowadays I'm regularly hitting 250 for ~6-8 reps (bearing in mind I bench like once every 2-3 weeks) & personally I don't care much for bench progression no more, instead I'm really focused on getting my overhead press & weighted dips mad strong because the carry on strength to bench from those two is simply :banderas:

Last Weighted Dips session (BW - 198) :
66X8
77X8
88X8 (40Kg plates)
110X8 (50Kg plates)
BWX20 reps...burner

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
man I did some weigthed dips yesterday after the bench :whew: only threw a 45 on but damn, them shyts had me feeling like king kong

RTF

2Trill
Supporter
Daps
Probably my least favourite move.

easiest to do though.

1-8-7-Skillz

Superstar
Daps
Bench used to be my weakness for a long fukkin time, but after I did 5/3/1 i been progfressing fast as hell on the bench for over a year now :wow:

Un-AmericanDreamer

Simp City
Daps
I'm one of those dudes who can do 100+ pushups, 45 pullups like it's nothing but Bench is my weakness. I hate bench. Today, I barely did A plate and some change.

drugxglory

Street Struck
Daps
Reppin
CALiFORNiA
6^2 180 (give or take some pounds) I notice when ever I bench press starting from scratch, I add weight weekly to my overall max and make nice gains, but then I start struggling with shyt I use to be able to comfortably do. It seems like I reach a peak then drop in strength, idk what to do? Current max is 205lb and I barley hit it once, 175 and up is challenging for me, but a month earlier it was easy:sadbron:
im about the same, but maybe 175ish around there. I can hit 2 plates maybe 2 times. I noticed my bench got stronger once i started doing pull ups.

I b feeling the same, one week i feel strong, next week b struggling
:mjgrin: