Ban cars and this is the result. Vredenburg, Utrecht, Netherlands ...

bnew

Veteran
Daps
Yeah, try that in a tropical country with a high crime rate...

all they need is a bike parking pod and a cycling network with paved paths. so businesses and public buildings would have their own "parking" spaces for bikes. outdoor markets can have security paid for my vendors to safeguard customers bikes. this is more economically feasible for tropical countries.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
I dunno much bout DC and haven’t been to Seattle but ain’t nobody in NY giving up their parking space to drive to a corner store within walking distance :camby:
They not doing that in most parts of DC either nowadays. City is becoming car unfriendly each year that passes.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
“MuH fReEdom” Americans, especially those in the burbs and car centric small towns, will never accept this. They will never accept not having any other option but the car.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
That dude that makes those pro Netherlands videos might as well work for the government. He isn't objective at all. He is from Canada and has a hard on for the Netherlands.

He was saying that we should all be riding those dutch cruiser bikes with no gears but if you look that video their land is pretty flat and ideal for those bikes. I've been to Amsterdam.

Any place that doesn't have flat terrain would not be ideal for dutch cruisers.

DLo

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I've been to the Netherlands a few times (Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Papendrecht) for work. All the children ride bikes to and from school in the morning. A lot of adults ride bikes to work but some drive depending on how far away they live.

Food portions are tiny compared to what we eat in the US. Like 1/3 the size. I ate in the cafeteria of the company I was visiting and it was some middle school lunch size portions. I was starving afterwards and I'm a skinny breh

Other observations from talking to the locals
They tax your income up to 50% :patrice:

They have to generally work until 67 to get collect their state pension.

The locals don't really partake in the Amsterdam stuff (Red Light District, drugs, etc). They go when they become the legal age and then leave it to the tourists.

Great place to visit. Not sure I would want to live there

bnew

Veteran
Daps

image.png

I wish I could have rode my bike to school.:wow:

edit:

Last edited:

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
Infrastructure investment would solve so many problems in American cities.

Imagine a transit system with electric buses on the road and high speed rail with trains that show up every 10-15 min and can take you from one end of the city to another in less than 30 minutes.

Imagine clear roads that are easy to drive on because at least 40% of drivers are now biking or transiting to work.

Giant Parking lots turned into apartment complexes with underground parking. Cities would be much quieter and more people would be walking. We don't have to imagine this shyt because other people have done it successfully. Theres no reason American cities can't steal from them.